Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One week between Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

One week between Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur

Next February I'll be in SE Asia. I've carved out a week with nothing between when I need to be in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur. I've researched Bangkok, Siem Reap area temples and beaches/resorts on both sides of the Malay peninsula, as well as diving into a lot of threads in this forum. At this point, since it appears I'll be solo (unless my partner changes jobs and has some flexibility), I'm leaning toward playing it safe with 2-3 days in/around Bangkok, Siem Reap for a couple days, and then 1-2 days in Kuala Lumpur.

But am I missing something critical in the area? Maybe something that's a little more off the beaten path and won't be in a few years? I like exploring. I don't particularly like crowds. I'm not a novice traveler. This part of the world isn't my bailiwick, though. I've generally ended up around the US, Caribbean or Europe.

So, let's say you had a free week on your own between Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur. Where would you go? Also, would you do something differently if you weren't traveling solo?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
Maybe something that's a little more off the beaten path and won't be in a few years? I like exploring. I don't particularly like crowds. I'm not a novice traveler.

So, let's say you had a free week on your own between Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur. Where would you go? Also, would you do something differently if you weren't traveling solo?
Myanmar.

Bangkok and KL are just big cities with lots of people.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:18 am

But am I missing something critical in the area? Maybe something that's a little more off the beaten path and won't be in a few years? I like exploring. I don't particularly like crowds. I'm not a novice traveler. This part of the world isn't my bailiwick, though. I've generally ended up around the US, Caribbean or Europe.
Based on your not liking crowds, I'm not sure Siem Reap is going to be to your liking. If "off the beaten path and won't be in a few years" is an important criteria for you, I'd suggest Myanmar. You could do a lot in a week there.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: most of them
not sure Myanmar is really off the beaten path these days either.

Maybe Laos.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Off the beaten path isn't a requirement. I can handle a crowd or two. I just don't want to constantly feel like I'm part of one.

But I like the Myanmar idea so far and will look into it more. Thanks for that.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If you want Off The Beaten Path (SM) in Myanmar, avoid the usual of Rangoon/Mandalay/Pagan. Try Mrauk U and Pyay (Pyu city states) which has the country's world heritage sites. Not easy to get to either but that's exactly why they're Off The Beaten Path (SM)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, Accor Plus Gold

But am I missing something critical in the area? Maybe something that's a little more off the beaten path and won't be in a few years? I like exploring. I don't particularly like crowds.
Have you looked into Penang ? I've been going there for 10 years and every time I go I say to myself "this will be the next Bali".

I know you're going to be ending up in KL, but even though it's an hour away by plane Penang seems to be a world away.

The food in Penang is like nothing else you've ever tried. Penang was where the Chinese first entered Malaysia and there is a lot of "Nonya" cuisine where the Chinese, Malaysia, and European food cultures mix.

There's no diving actually in Penang, however you can easily get a dive trip to Pulau Payar on Langkawi if you want to spend a day underwater. It's amazing to do.

Accommodation is plentiful, especially in Batu Ferringhi (literally translated - Foreigners Beach) which is the "tourist strip". Even though it's the "tourist area" I don't think I've ever seen a Stag Weekend / Footy Trip / Spring Break style roudy group of Westerners.

There's a lot of nature based activities in Penang. If you want to go hiking, you absolutely can if you want to see animals you can check out the Monkey Beach, but if you want to relax and do nothing, you can do that too.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 21, 2017 at 8:19 pm Reason: Removed links
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Well, please consider that millions of people are coming to Thailand and Siem Reap, so avoiding crowds would be close to impossible.

Also, 'off' means close to none of infrastructure developments and modern conveniences. Are you OK with that?

One alternative could be to rent a car in Bangkok and and to road trip, by dropping off the car either at north or south and fly to KL.

There is nothing spectacular in KL. For me it is only a transit point.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by rosenburger
Have you looked into Penang ? I've been going there for 10 years and every time I go I say to myself "this will be the next Bali".
Unfortunately with Penang, it has none of the charm and certainly no where off the beaten path. It is more like the next Hong Kong (in the '70s/'80 anyway) as far as construction and density goes. Lot of high rises everywhere and tech factories galore near the airport.

My first memory of Penang was in the late '70s when there was nothing out by Bat Ferringhi (about 2-3 hotels including the Holiday Inn). I couldn't believe the place I saw in 2013 was the same place. And there has been even more construction since my visit before that in 2000/01.

My ties? My grandmother was born and grew up there as a young child (next stop after her parents passed very young was to an aunt in Rangoon where my grandfather was born and grew up).

I also wouldn't call it where the Chinese first came to Malaysia. I do believe that honour goes to Malacca (some Chinese princess married the sultan and took a huge entourage with her).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I don't think Penang will ever reach Bali's status. For one, the beaches are pretty lackluster compared to just about everywhere else in the region. That alone dulls the attraction for lots of foreign tourists. Also, jellyfish.

I love Georgetown and think Penang is great, but the beaches are not worth the time. I do think it's a place that's better visited sooner rather than later but it's definitely on the beaten path at this point.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I'd consider Da Nang, Vietnam. Very laid back atmosphere. Nice beaches. Not quite yet "discovered" (but moving toward being the next "it" destination.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.