Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur

Old May 28, 17, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Kuala Lumpur

Going to be visiting KL for the first time then off to Langkawi and back. When we arrive we are staying at the Sheraton Imperial - I am assuming we should take a taxi there rather than the Express train? Is it easy to crab a cab at the airport without being screwed and how much. We would probably prefer this as we arrive in the evening and will be tired.
We are only spending a Sunday day/evening there then flying out next day to Langkawi. Any feedback on the area for siteseeing/walking on that Sunday and any cheap bars/restaurants near by to just sit on a patio etc., Curious how much a beer is in KL?
We are then heading to Langkawi ( probably take a cab ) then arriving back to KL and staying at the Le Meridien. I understand the Express stops right there so I think we will try the train when we come back. Is it easy to get on the train with one piece of large luggage and carry-on each? When we get to Sentral station is it a simple walk to the Le Meridien and easy to find.
Any suggestions as above for places around the Le Meridien - We will be there for a full two days?
Not familiar with KL or Maylasia so any feedback / tips / anything would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 29, 17, 9:41 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
If you're looking for Starwood hotels in KL, then I would say the Westin is best located.

The Sheraton Imperial is quite central but is in an inner city area that is still in the process of gentrifying. Not much around other than a few emerging funky bars and cafes on the side street next to the hotel (and, if you like your food spicy, there's a great nyonya restaurant that I went to a couple of years ago). However, it's just a short Uber away from KLCC and Bukit Bintang.

Le Meridien is easy enough to get to from KL Sentral - the train is the best way to go. Brickfields (Little India) is short walk away if you like southern Indian food, and the bars in Bangsar are a short Uber away as well.
Old May 29, 17, 11:04 pm

Programs: Can't be bothered anymore...
Makes sense to take the train from the airport to KLCC & then take a taxi from their to the Sheraton. There's a taxi rank as well in case your unable to get an Uber for some reason.

As "Too much travel" has already posted, the Meridien is right next to the KLCC
Old Jun 7, 17, 11:05 am

Express train stops around 1.10 am. Rate is around 45 MYR per person, 30 minutes.
Taxi should be around 70-80 MYR 40 minutes. Grab around 70. Taxi after midnight 50% surcharge

Last edited by MixalisK.; Jun 7, 17 at 11:19 am
Old Jun 7, 17, 9:42 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
My recommendation - avoid using taxis at KL at all costs. Grab and Uber are your friends and you will pay 30-50% less than taxis are charging whose meter is always 'broken'.
Old Jun 8, 17, 12:26 am

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Originally Posted by quarryking View Post
Makes sense to take the train from the airport to KLCC & then take a taxi from their to the Sheraton. There's a taxi rank as well in case your unable to get an Uber for some reason.

As "Too much travel" has already posted, the Meridien is right next to the KLCC
The Meridien is next to Sentral (the train station - where the airport train arrives) - and there are signs pointing to the escalators to take up to the level where you cross the street - walk into a lower level then take an elevator up to the entry to the hotel(s) - common area for both LM and Hilton.
It is NOT next to KLCC !?!
Old Jun 8, 17, 12:35 am

Programs: Can't be bothered anymore...
Originally Posted by estnet View Post
The Meridien is next to Sentral (the train station - where the airport train arrives) - and there are signs pointing to the escalators to take up to the level where you cross the street - walk into a lower level then take an elevator up to the entry to the hotel(s) - common area for both LM and Hilton.
It is NOT next to KLCC !?!
Soryr Mate, my mistake...was getting a little confused between KLCC & KL Sentrall
Old Jun 8, 17, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Awesome. Thanks for the info...........it sounds like the train is the way to go especially being so convenient etc.,

I have not signed up for Grab or Uber but have got them in my apps now. Just don't really use them here? I am thinking Grab. Is it pretty simple sign up and I am assuming registering with a credit card or can I pay cash. I will be able to use it from the hotel because I will have wifi but once we leave the hotel it will have to be regular taxi as I won't be purchasing or using data - too expensive while on vacation.
Any other tips would be appreciated. We are really looking forward to visiting,.
Old Jun 10, 17, 2:05 pm

Grab requires an email and phone number to sign up. They send a verification code via SMS so be prepared for that. Cash and credit cards are both accepted on Uber and Grab in Malaysia. Try request shorter trips on Grab instead of Uber, the drivers will be happier due to the incentive structure (i used to drive for both). They are much cheaper than taxi even if a proper taxi meter is used. Taxis around major malls and large hotels avoided. For hotel locations, Le Meridien, Aloft and Hilton is the best for public transport connectivity, The Westin and JW Marriott is opposite a shopping mall (Pavillion KL) that contains also a few bars while Sheraton is kind of far from the more happening places. Bangsar is a nice place in the night too.
Old Jun 12, 17, 3:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by MixalisK. View Post
Express train stops around 1.10 am. Rate is around 45 MYR per person, 30 minutes.
Taxi should be around 70-80 MYR 40 minutes. Grab around 70. Taxi after midnight 50% surcharge
It's now RM55 per person per way unless you use your mastercard in which you get a discount. Otherwise, you pay full fare.

Prices went up last year.
Old Jun 12, 17, 3:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MixalisK. View Post
Taxi's from KLIA 1 or KLIA 2 are on average RM68 (MIDVALLEY/BANGSAR) to RM85 per budget taxi. Limo's are 20-30% more expensive.

Uber and grab a taxi are going for about RM60-RM70 at the moment to bangsar/midvalley and downtown depending on demand/peak hours, etc. This DOES NOT include the toll fares which you will need to pay on top of the RM60-70 for UBER and Grab.

It really does not make a massive difference once you compare budget taxi prices vs uber/grab a car prices going from KLIA to downtown KL/Bangsar/PJ once you factor in the 2-3 toll charges you will have to pay getting to downtown KL.
Old Jun 12, 17, 4:49 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by wolf72 View Post
It really does not make a massive difference once you compare budget taxi prices vs uber/grab a car prices going from KLIA to downtown KL/Bangsar/PJ once you factor in the 2-3 toll charges you will have to pay getting to downtown KL.
I would recommend taking Uber/Grab when there are more than 2 people travelling to the city. Otherwise Express to Sentral and then Uber from there would be a better option.
Old Jun 12, 17, 5:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
I would recommend taking Uber/Grab when there are more than 2 people travelling to the city. Otherwise Express to Sentral and then Uber from there would be a better option.
This is what we do now for meetings. We don't want to spend an hour sitting in a taxi or car so take the 28 minute train to KL sentral and then a 15 minute Grab a Car to our meeting location at The Gardens.
Old Jun 12, 17, 5:27 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Bravada04 View Post
...When we get to Sentral station is it a simple walk to the Le Meridien and easy to find.
Any suggestions as above for places around the Le Meridien - We will be there for a full two days?...
Le Meridien is across the street from Sentral station, just follow the signs which are well marked. The hotel entrance is poorly marked as it is the garage but there is a doorman (the main hotel entrance is a few floors up by driveway); so keep going following the signs even if you think you must be lost, it is the right way). Hotel is nice enough with a good pool and ok restaurants but not much within walking distance. There is a shopping mall which has a mixture of local and international stores but nothing special (Nu) and Brickfield is atmospheric but slum-like, still has some great southern Indian food. Several new hotels/office buildings under construction near Sentral (e.g. St. Regis).
Old Jun 12, 17, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by number_6 View Post
Le Meridien is across the street from Sentral station, just follow the signs which are well marked. The hotel entrance is poorly marked as it is the garage but there is a doorman (the main hotel entrance is a few floors up by driveway); so keep going following the signs even if you think you must be lost, it is the right way). Hotel is nice enough with a good pool and ok restaurants but not much within walking distance. There is a shopping mall which has a mixture of local and international stores but nothing special (Nu) and Brickfield is atmospheric but slum-like, still has some great southern Indian food. Several new hotels/office buildings under construction near Sentral (e.g. St. Regis).
Slum like? I would hardly call Brickfields a "slum."

It's made up of old shop houses from the 70s or 80s that are made up of indian stores selling indian products. It's an old township that is now seeing massive development all around it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: