Search

Non-Taipei Duty Free alcohol through Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, IHG PA, Hilton Sucks, Hyatt Discoverist
Non-Taipei Duty Free alcohol through Taipei

Hi all,
I wanted to post this for people because I couldn't find info about it.
I had a trip from Auckland to Seoul via Brisbane and Taipei. Not leaving any airport terminals during the trip. I really wanted to pick up a specific alcohol in Auckland Duty Free shops to bring all the way back to Seoul.
Auckland Duty Free agents warned me that I would get my liter of alcohol confiscated in Taipei's security check.
I bought the alcohol anyways.
When I got to Taipei, I asked Taipei Duty Free agents and they also told me that I could expect to get my non-Taiwan alcohol duty free purchase confiscated in security check.
They told me to throw away my alcohol and just buy some from Taiwan duty free after the checkpoint. Obviously that option didn't interest me since I was only interested in the specific alcohol.

I took a chance and there was no problem getting my alcohol through Taipei Taoyuan security checkpoint.

Hope that helps anybody searching for a success story.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by cmhsieh54
Hi all,
I wanted to post this for people because I couldn't find info about it.
I had a trip from Auckland to Seoul via Brisbane and Taipei. Not leaving any airport terminals during the trip. I really wanted to pick up a specific alcohol in Auckland Duty Free shops to bring all the way back to Seoul.
Auckland Duty Free agents warned me that I would get my liter of alcohol confiscated in Taipei's security check.
I bought the alcohol anyways.
When I got to Taipei, I asked Taipei Duty Free agents and they also told me that I could expect to get my non-Taiwan alcohol duty free purchase confiscated in security check.
They told me to throw away my alcohol and just buy some from Taiwan duty free after the checkpoint. Obviously that option didn't interest me since I was only interested in the specific alcohol.

I took a chance and there was no problem getting my alcohol through Taipei Taoyuan security checkpoint.

Hope that helps anybody searching for a success story.
Thanks for the info. Will be travelling SIN-TPE-JFK and I am thinking of buying from the SIN duty free shop...
Old Aug 18, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by jiaklormee
Thanks for the info. Will be travelling SIN-TPE-JFK and I am thinking of buying from the SIN duty free shop...
You better check liquid policy for US bound flights as they have separate liquid rules.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by tentseller
You better check liquid policy for US bound flights as they have separate liquid rules.
yup. many learn the hard way on CX flights that go HKG-YVR-JFK even though canada does not have the rule on the CX HKG-YVR only flight...
Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:18 pm

I tried to purchase sake at the Narita airport in Japan, I had a connecting flight in Taipei to get back home to the US and was not allowed to purchase it. When I asked why, nobody could give me a response...
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
As long as it is sealed in the duty free plastic I have never had a problem passing through transit security in TPE.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:22 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Claudia Briones
I tried to purchase sake at the Narita airport in Japan, I had a connecting flight in Taipei to get back home to the US and was not allowed to purchase it. When I asked why, nobody could give me a response...
How did they even know that you were connecting at TPE? I have literally done this (with whisky though).
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by strife
As long as it is sealed in the duty free plastic I have never had a problem passing through transit security in TPE.
That’s what I asked them but they wouldn’t even let me buy in Japan even with the duty free plastic 🤷🏽.♀️
Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Claudia Briones
I tried to purchase sake at the Narita airport in Japan, I had a connecting flight in Taipei [...] and was not allowed to purchase it. When I asked why, nobody could give me a response...
Well... Japan is a high-context culture where people are not known for speaking their mind directly but I figure they clearly wanted you to purchase the superior Kavalan whisky while transferring in Taipei instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.