Reload this Page >

CGK: international transfers airside, separate tickets

Old Oct 23, 17, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK

I thought I was a pretty competent user of CGK, but....

Arriving TK from Istanbul at 18:00. But now need to be in KL (blame flakey friends)

There's a 19:50 MH flight to KUL. I have avios to buy it , and blessedly I travel hand-baggage only

Question: is there a facility for transferring without boarding cards, or issuing them, airside ? (I think online check-in for CGK departures doesn't give boarding cards)

If i need to go landside to do a regular checkin, I'll just scrap the idea and travel on the next day.

Any help?
Old Oct 24, 17, 5:27 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
I thought I was a pretty competent user of CGK, but....

Question: is there a facility for transferring without boarding cards, or issuing them, airside ? (I think online check-in for CGK departures doesn't give boarding cards)

If i need to go landside to do a regular checkin, I'll just scrap the idea and travel on the next day.

Any help?
Last time I tried this was 18 months ago and we ended up sitting around beside the so-called transfer desk in the corridor leading down to the immigration/VOA desks until the next airline check-in opened, and someone brought our BP's down. Walked past it on Friday and it looked just the same

CGK just isn't set up for transit, regardless of that convenient flight of stairs which leads up to the departure level!

Don't like your chances, unless someone has got it to work recently.
Old Oct 24, 17, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, TK
Originally Posted by Reds2011 View Post
Last time I tried this was 18 months ago and we ended up sitting around beside the so-called transfer desk in the corridor leading down to the immigration/VOA desks until the next airline check-in opened, and someone brought our BP's down. Walked past it on Friday and it looked just the same

CGK just isn't set up for transit, regardless of that convenient flight of stairs which leads up to the departure level!

Don't like your chances, unless someone has got it to work recently.
Thanks for that!

But if the desk in manned and they can call MH to get the BC sent airside...

OK, an if too many in that analysis
Old Oct 24, 17, 11:05 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by IAN-UK View Post
Thanks for that

OK, an if too many in that analysis
Yeah for Jakarta. We had about 4 hours so I wasn't too worried, but with a short connection it would be a gutsy move.
Old Nov 11, 17, 2:53 pm

Is a back to back transfer possible at CGK? I'm considering CX777 1st class flight in and flying back on the same plane also in 1st class CX 776. 1:15 is the scheduled turn around time. Alas, 1st class is only offered 1 day a week. Purely a BA TP run, no desire to visit this time. It is a RTW ticket, so may be able to get BP in HKG, but not sure.
Old Nov 16, 17, 2:41 am

Programs: QF WP, QP Life, LT Gold, AA, DL
Headintheclouds,
This was my experience yesterday doing a turn around at CGK (same ticket and already had return boarding pass):
Arrived on CX 719, (in business), de-planed, bussed to arrivals hall. Tried to use the transfer/transit desk, but when they saw I was doing a turnaround, told me to go through immigration. Went through immigration (I'm on a passport that doesn't need a visa for Indonesia), went upstairs to departures, went through security and emigration and was at the Premier Lounge 47 minutes after CX 719 touched down. (Then spent the next 3 hours in the lounge, as the turn around from CX719 to CX798 is 4 hours...)
So yes, its quite doable, but whether you want to risk it is up to you. It was late at night and immigration was very quiet, and I had a passport that didn't give me any problems. YMMV...
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Medicus.
Old Nov 18, 17, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by medicus View Post
Headintheclouds,
This was my experience yesterday doing a turn around at CGK (same ticket and already had return boarding pass):
Arrived on CX 719, (in business), de-planed, bussed to arrivals hall. Tried to use the transfer/transit desk, but when they saw I was doing a turnaround, told me to go through immigration. Went through immigration (I'm on a passport that doesn't need a visa for Indonesia), went upstairs to departures, went through security and emigration and was at the Premier Lounge 47 minutes after CX 719 touched down. (Then spent the next 3 hours in the lounge, as the turn around from CX719 to CX798 is 4 hours...)
So yes, its quite doable, but whether you want to risk it is up to you. It was late at night and immigration was very quiet, and I had a passport that didn't give me any problems. YMMV...
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Medicus.
Thanks. I just realized that as a US citizen, I do not need a visa. Straight to immigration, just like in Hong Kong. Don't want to get in line for immigration and then be told I need to go back and get a free visa stamp in my passport. I'm not going to do a back to back same plane type transit. I'll try for 4 or 8 hour connection.
Old Nov 18, 17, 11:34 am

Programs: FB
I wanted to fly this route, but I'm not sure if the 2hr in CGK is enough...

Old Aug 3, 19, 3:32 am

In a few weeks I'll be in the same situation as the OP described but I'll have one checked bag.
I'm arriving on SQ and leaving on NH with a +3h transit time on two differente PNRs. Supposing that I'll be able to get my bag checked through in SIN directly to my final destination (I'm on all *A flights and all the carriers I'll be flying have baggage interline agreement), would it be fine or is CGK/Indonesia one of those airports/countries where do you need IN ANY CASE to retrieve your bag, going through customs and drop off the bag again?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: