Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Advice for a first time trip to Vietnam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for a first time trip to Vietnam?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
We'll be flying in and out of SIN, and plan on nesting Vietnam into our trip. The above information has been very helpful.

Dan
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by wco81
I used Uber a bunch of times in Hanoi. Most rides a few kilometers and $2-3.

Cars are air conditioned.

Also they navigate the crazy traffic especially at street crossings better than you can. It's unnerving trying to negotiate the swarms of scooters at first. You get used to it but also good to take a ride back to the hotel or cross the town in one.

There's also Grab Car app. Which seems to be cheaper but I didn't try because I hadn't set it up with credit card like my Uber account. But Uber was cheap enough.
I'm in Hanoi now and Uber works very nicely. Haven't had a crosstown ride that's been over $2 yet. That said, the licensed taxis are not much more expensive. (I've taken both.)

Also, the online e-visa that costs $25 for a single entry 30 day visa was brilliant. No invitation letters, not waiting in line for the VOA, straight to the immigration counter. Less than 10 minutes to clear immigration.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Any suggestions please. I'm planning a three day weekend in May. Out and back from NRT. I'm a frequently in Malaysia and Thailand but haven't been in Country for many years.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinu Medallion, Delta Reserve Card, IHG Spire Ambassador, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Alright, so my husband and I are planning a 2.5 week trip to Vietnam/China in March. I would appreciate suggestions on our tentative schedule:

4 nights Hanoi (we arrive at 9:40 p.m. so it's really more like 3 days)
Fly to Hue
2 nights Hue
Car to Hoi An
3 nights Hoi An
Fly to SGN
3 nights SGN
Fly to PVG
3 nights PVG

We're in our 30's/40's, so while we enjoy a few cocktails, aren't into partying into the wee hours. We're going for food and culture (mainly food). Does this itinerary look good for a first time visit or are we missing something? The citadel and tombs in Hue sound interesting, but I mostly want to visit so that we can do the drive through Hai Van Pass. Would we be better off staying one night in Hue and adding one to Hanoi? After reading many reviews and talking to friends, Hanoi seems more up our alley than HCMC.

Don't have much interest in Nha Trang but am wondering if we should make Hoi An a beach stop instead of staying in the old town. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also, we are planning on applying for the 72 hour visa upon arrival in PVG. Has anyone had any issues with flying on Vietnam Airlines to China without a visa in hand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.