Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Advice for a first time trip to Vietnam?

Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Two week trip to Vietnam. So far I booked a rount trip to SGN. Want to visit Hue, Hoi An, Hanoi, an Siem Reap.
Looking for advice on getting to Hue and Hoi An. Looks a bit complicated since one is North and the other is South of Danang. Fly to Danang and day trip to Hue and then commute to Hoi An? Stay in Hoi An or Hue? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Also for Halong Bay we are thinking of doing an overnight cruise with Imperial Classic Cruise, anyone have any experience with them?
So far planning on:
4 days SGN
4 days DAD for Hue and Hoi An
3 days Hanoi
3 days Siem Reap

Thanks in advance!
Chad
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:41 am
Suspended

I flew to from Hanoi to Hue, and got a driver to take me from Hue, through Danang, to Hoi An. Then got a driver from Hoi An to Danang airport, to SGN.

The drivers and hotels in Hue and Hoi An were booked through www.buffalotours.com Hotels in Saigon and Hanoi were booked through my SPG account.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:09 pm

You will need a multi-entry visa for Vietnam since Siem Reap is in another country (which also needs a visa).

I would suggest flying to Da Nang, first night in Da Nang. Drive up to Hue (disclaimer, I have not been to Hue) for the day, and have your driver return you to Hoi An. 2 nights Hoi An. If possible, be in Hoi An for full moon.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Is it necessary to book a driver before getting there or is it easy to find and hire one when you arrive? How long is the commute from Hue to Danang and Danang to Hoi An? Does the driver just wait while you explore the town?
Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:57 pm
Suspended

I couldn't say if it's easy to get a long distance driver on short notice, as I booked mine weeks in advance. The drive between Hue and Hoi An is, if I recall, a bit less than 3 hours of straight driving. My driver waited for me when I spent perhaps a little over an hour exploring the Cham museum in Danang, but that was my only stop in Danang. Basically, I had him for a half a day.and a roughly 190-200 km drive.

You could probably get a taxi or a driver from Hoi An to Danang airport easily through your hotel, if not just flagging one down.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

How much did the driver charge?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hayan453
How much did the driver charge?
Honestly, I don't remember exactly, it was around 7-8 years ago. And I paid the tour company, not the driver. I believe it was something like $60 USD for the drive from my hotel in Hue to my hotel in Hoi An, including the stop in Danang, and another $30 for the ride from Hoi An to Danang airport, but don't quote me on that
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Just came back from my Vietnam trip and my itinerary was HCMC, Da Nang/Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi. I took the plane between SGN-DAD, train between DAD-HUI, and plane between HUI-HAN. I don't recommend the train between DAD-HUI unless you're a backpacker. Instead, take a look at some tour companies in either Da Nang/Hoi An/Hue and see if any of them will do a one-way car ride for you.

Personally, I would also cut the # of days in HCMC and put it towards Da Nang/Hue/Hoi An. For Hue, you can do a one-day tour to cover the more popular attractions.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Just came back from my Vietnam trip and my itinerary was HCMC, Da Nang/Hoi An, Hue, Hanoi. I took the plane between SGN-DAD, train between DAD-HUI, and plane between HUI-HAN. I don't recommend the train between DAD-HUI unless you're a backpacker. Instead, take a look at some tour companies in either Da Nang/Hoi An/Hue and see if any of them will do a one-way car ride for you.

Personally, I would also cut the # of days in HCMC and put it towards Da Nang/Hue/Hoi An. For Hue, you can do a one-day tour to cover the more popular attractions.
How long was your trip? I was thinking to do 7-8 nights but not do Hanoi because of time constraints.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Will definitely look into getting a car for Hue, Danang, and Hoi An. Thinking of getting a suit made in Hoi An. Anything you recommend at any of these locations to see?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chanp
How long was your trip? I was thinking to do 7-8 nights but not do Hanoi because of time constraints.
Around 12 days. I only spent 2 nights in HAN but regret going there since I didn't really enjoy that city. I get sick on boats, so didn't want to do the Halong Bay tour either.

I'd save a minimum of 2 nights for Hue and 3 nights for Da Nang/Hoi An.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 3:06 pm

$60-70 is the going rate for a day trip (round trip) from Danang to Hue, including waiting time.

As the airport is in Danang, you should stay there. See the Marble Mountains, Lady Buddha statue and Non Nuoc Beach, and then get a car and driver to Hue. 2hr drive. $70 max. Come back the same day, as only 3 tombs need to be looked at, not all of them.

Next day, Danang to Hoi An, roughly $35 round trip in a private car, maybe more if you include My Son on the way back.

Final night in Danang before flying onwards (for me I flew to Siem Reap on Silk Air).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Around 12 days. I only spent 2 nights in HAN but regret going there since I didn't really enjoy that city. I get sick on boats, so didn't want to do the Halong Bay tour either.

I'd save a minimum of 2 nights for Hue and 3 nights for Da Nang/Hoi An.
Thanks .
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I absolutely loved Vietnam, particularly Hanoi. I did tours and pick ups with Vietnam Awesome Travel. I don't move around a lot so I am not a good person to ask. I spent a week in HCMC and a week in Hanoi.

In Hanoi, get up early and go and look at the locals exercising at Hoam Kiem Lake. It's just fascinating and fun as it is so different from what you see back home.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:50 am

Siem Reap is belong to Cambodia not Vietnam. So you may need a multiple entry visa.

The fee for multiple entry visa ($50) is double that of single entry visa ($25), so I suggest you contact some of visa agencies for better advise. You may read the topic http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...ietnam-50.html for visa agencies information. I personally suggest http://voavietnam.net and www.myvietnamvisapro.com as they offer quick turn around time and privacy service for vietnam voa letter.

Hue and Hoi An are very beautiful with ancient houses and friendly people. HCMC is very exciting and effervescent. Nothing much to say about HN, I have the feeling of a peaceful city. It's not as exciting as HCMC, but it has it own beauty.

I have never tried Imperial Classic Cruise then I can't help.

Hope my advise works for you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.