Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed , Unawatuna beach in Sri lanka

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Advice needed , Unawatuna beach in Sri lanka

Hi all ,
Anyone been to unawatuna beach in sri lanka ? http://www.mysrilankantrip.com/visit...hes-sri-lanka/
is it a good place to relax?. are there any top hotels near the beach..? More advice would be much appreciated. thanks!

Last edited by mishelle; Jul 6, 2015 at 1:14 am
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
You could look in this thread from last year http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...-you-go-2.html - similar question and some experiences.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Plenty of smallish hotels and restaurants, but I wasn't looking for searching larger. The smallish hotel (Hotel Bay Watch - but no vision of the water) I was in was clean with acceptable breakfasts and perhaps 100m from the bay. Certainly relaxing but not the wide open beaches of many parts of Sri Lanka.

If you arrive in Galle (bus or train stations) the tuk tuk drivers will definitely try to "expand" their fares. OTOH don't begrudge them an extra US$1 or so. Return arranged by the hotel reflected the inbound "excess".

Sometimes the smaller hotels are much more interesting. YMMV but booking or agoda should work for reservations.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mishelle
Hi all ,
Anyone been to unawatuna beach in sri lanka ? http://www.mysrilankantrip.com/visit...hes-sri-lanka/
is it a good place to relax?. are there any top hotels near the beach..? More advice would be much appreciated. thanks!
As wandering_fred has already mentioned, none of the big chains have descended onto Unawatuna as yet, more the small independent hotels
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:19 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I stayed at the CocoBay hotel, which is in a bay between Galle and Unawatuna. Lovely hotel - not 5* in the Western sense, but lovely people, great food (the Sri Lankan breakfasts were outstanding) and a great place to relax for a couple of days (note: I'm not a beach person, so the idea of spending more than a couple of days in such a place wouldn't occur).

We visited Unawatuna a couple of times. The beach is rather lovely, and it's great to be able to sit out there to eat and drink at night. It's pretty laid back, but there's a fair bit going on at night. Food was incredibly disappointing - seems to be catering for people who are terrified of flavour.

Galle is a wonderful place, though, and where we spent most of our time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.