Reload this Page >

Indonesia Itinerary Advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Indonesia Itinerary Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:36 am

I have done quite a bit of travelling in Indonesia.

The main areas for tourists are Java and Bali, although north Sulawesi is now becoming more of a destination unto itself. Western and Northern Sumatra are also areas where tourism is booming. https://backpackerlee.wordpress.com/...f-the-equator/

My itinerary would be as follows:

Land in Medan, do Lake Toba, Berastagi, and Bukit Lawang. Perhaps head down and see the amazing Minangkabau architecture of Padang while you're in the vicinity? Then fly over to Yogyakarta via Jakarta. Spend at least two days in the city and enjoy the culture, including a day trip to Borobudur - which is at least an hour's drive in taxi from downtown Jogja.

Then hop on the train from Jogja to Surabaya, maybe overnight there, and get on the bus to Probolinggo, which is where the Bromo tours begin. If you can, stay at Java Banana Guesthouse, which is the best accommodation in the area. Do the sunrise walk up the volcano, but my advice is take a face mask with you, as the fumes are toxic!

When you've finished in Java, fly from Surabaya to Manado in north Sulawesi. Here you will find the legendary regency of Tomohon, more volcanoes, beautiful national parks such as Tangkoko (this is for the tarsier what Gunung Leuser was for the Orangutan), and dive sites aplenty at Bunaken! If you are feeling really adventurous, then get a minibus from the north down to the central regions and check out Tana Toraja - although this journey is arduous by road (no airport), and will take around 12hrs. The head down even further south to Makassar and fly out from there to Bali, where you can complete your holiday on the beach (and jungle)!

My advice would be to forget the Gilis, and spend a bit more time checking out Rinca and Flores.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
My advice would be to forget the Gilis, and spend a bit more time checking out Rinca and Flores.
Agreed. Spent 4 days on Kanawa Island last year and it was absolutely insane. The new management seems to be worse according to the Trip Advisor reviews but I loved my experience. Went to the Gilis this year and it wasn't nearly as good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.