Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Taoyuan or Taipei for one night layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taoyuan or Taipei for one night layover?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Thanks for the excellent suggestions regarding THSR. I've actually ridden all the way to Kaohsiung and back on a previous visit, and am now just checking in on the HSR to see how it's doing these days.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by transportprof
Thanks for the excellent suggestions regarding THSR. I've actually ridden all the way to Kaohsiung and back on a previous visit, and am now just checking in on the HSR to see how it's doing these days.
Not much as changed, same trains and stations since it opened, except three stations which I like to shop/eat. Some new stations are being built now, but will not open soon. This train I use often, the only stations of interest to me is Taipei (our office is next to next and lots of shopping/food in the area and the station itself and new bus complex mall, which is actually a very nice mall complex) and Banchao Station area and the station itself has lots of nice restaurant and shops. In Kaoshuing, the station itself (TRA local train side) has a new mall is OK, but I like the connected department store/mall north end of the station. All other stations far from the city, and not much there.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
With my trip complete, I thought I'd post a post mortem. I took the THSR both ways Taoyuan - Taipei, and the 705 bus between TPE and Taoyuan's HSR station.

Connections worked smoothly - although the 705 bus is pretty basic with little space for luggage. Fortunately, it is a 10 minute trip. I took standard class from Taoyuan to Taipei and had a seat to myself (2 seat pair) inbound. On the way back, I splurged on deluxe class which was only $6 more. Got a newspaper, lemon cake, apple juice and a bottle of water on the 25 minute run from Taipei to Taoyuan.

Buying tickets - reserved seating was easy just 5 -10 minutes ahead of train departure. At Taoyuan, I bought from a ticket agent, and in Taipei I used an automatic machine.

I was very happy with the Royal Biz hotel, which is near Dongmen Metro station, just three stops from Taipei Main Station.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I usually just took a bus from the airport to the Taipei Station - just a 40 min ride. It seems to be the most direct way to get to the city.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Moved from airline to destination forum.

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:44 am

what 3star did you stay at? We are going in November and just want a clean cheap place to lay our heads.. thanks
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by lorribarnes
what 3star did you stay at? We are going in November and just want a clean cheap place to lay our heads.. thanks
YMCA Taipei has nice rooms, some are new remodeled rooms, some older, about US$60, at Taipei Main Station.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:05 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the additional feedback. I'd be landing around 6 pm, so probably will see a lot of traffic into Taipei.

I might take a bus straight form the airport, if I'm feeling tired, or if the weather isn't nice. But I thought it would be interesting to check out another mode of travel that is missing from North America (HSR). I wouldn't be doing it for the speed, however.
I was just in Taipei this past weekend and got in around the same time.
Our flight from SFO->TPE got in around 18:30 and after going through customs
I realized I was too tired to deal w/ anything other than somebody hauling my carcass downtown so I grabbed an Uber. ( 980 TWD, approx. USD $30) . There was actually quite a bit of traffic leaving Taoyuan and it took some time to get out of the general area of TPE. Once we got rolling, traffic moved but was still heavy. I'd say it took about 50 minutes to get from TPE to my hotel in downtown.

On the way back I took the HSR. MRT'ed from Shunglian to Taipei Main and from there to the HSR to Taoyuan . That was the smooth part of the operation. The HSR covers the distance from downtown Taipei to Taoyuan in probably about 20 mins, including two stops in between.

From there you connect to a bus which is a completely different story. It's a loud rattletrap that the driver had to gun about every 10 seconds to keep it moving. All in all, I'd say I was at the UA *G check-in line in about 45 mins or so after I left my hotel in downtown and paid all of $3 for it.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:25 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
I was just in Taipei this past weekend and got in around the same time.
Our flight from SFO->TPE got in around 18:30 and after going through customs
I realized I was too tired to deal w/ anything other than somebody hauling my carcass downtown so I grabbed an Uber. ( 980 TWD, approx. USD $30) . There was actually quite a bit of traffic leaving Taoyuan and it took some time to get out of the general area of TPE. Once we got rolling, traffic moved but was still heavy. I'd say it took about 50 minutes to get from TPE to my hotel in downtown.
That seems like a typical amount of time from TPE.

On the way back I took the HSR. MRT'ed from Shunglian to Taipei Main and from there to the HSR to Taoyuan . That was the smooth part of the operation. The HSR covers the distance from downtown Taipei to Taoyuan in probably about 20 mins, including two stops in between.

From there you connect to a bus which is a completely different story. It's a loud rattletrap that the driver had to gun about every 10 seconds to keep it moving. All in all, I'd say I was at the UA *G check-in line in about 45 mins or so after I left my hotel in downtown and paid all of $3 for it.
Indeed, the airport HSR bus (transfer) is anticlimactic.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:46 pm

But I thought it would be interesting to check out another mode of travel that is missing from North America (HSR). I wouldn't be doing it for the speed, however.
It's an older post but just for the record:

North of Taoyuan, the HSR is mostly low-speed rail in a tunnel. Not really worth it for the experience. Also, the bus transfer from Taoyuan HSR station to the airport is not recommended for people with any significant luggage.

For the best HSR experience, take the train between Taipei and Gaoxiong and choose the service with only one stop in between (Taizhong). It's only an hour and a half each way.

Apparently the airport MRT has been delayed again but it is eventually scheduled to open in February or March 2017, so if you're reading this in the distant future, this is probably the way to go.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:18 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ProleOnParole

For the best HSR experience, take the train between Taipei and Gaoxiong and choose the service with only one stop in between (Taizhong). It's only an hour and a half each way.
Try to help all potential FT users...Gaoxiong is typically called Kaohsiung on most maps, whether from Taiwan or otherwise.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Try to help all potential FT users...Gaoxiong is typically called Kaohsiung on most maps, whether from Taiwan or otherwise.
Romanization in Taiwan is a mess. Visitors should be advised that any word can be written in a myriad of variant spellings. I use standard Pinyin for a reason, as it at least gives people a chance to get the pronunciation right if they want to.

To stay helpful and on topic, let me add that I should have written Zuoying above, as that's the name of the terminal HSR station (ca. 20 min MRT ride to the city center).
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Whats the recommended way to get from TPE to Nangang station (Courtyard Marriott hotel). My wife and I each with one large suitcase and one briefcase. I don't need to take the HSR just for the novelty. I just used Uber for the first time and it was very convenient, but in Las Vegas. We are scheduled to land at 8:35 PM on a Saturday after two long flights in economy class. I believe the last HSR departs at 11:00 PM.

I haven't been to Taiwan in eight years, but always enjoyed my time in Taoyuan. Once it was built, I always stayed at the Monarch Plaza Hotel.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Whats the recommended way to get from TPE to Nangang station (Courtyard Marriott hotel). My wife and I each with one large suitcase and one briefcase. I don't need to take the HSR just for the novelty. I just used Uber for the first time and it was very convenient, but in Las Vegas. We are scheduled to land at 8:35 PM on a Saturday after two long flights in economy class. I believe the last HSR departs at 11:00 PM.

I haven't been to Taiwan in eight years, but always enjoyed my time in Taoyuan. Once it was built, I always stayed at the Monarch Plaza Hotel.
Take the shuttle bus or taxi to the Taoyuan HSR station, and just take it all the way to the hotel (it is right next to the station, or on top, depending on which method of reference you prefer).

I don't think you'll miss the HSR with your arrival.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:54 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I use standard Pinyin for a reason
Taipei and Gaoxiong

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.