Which Mongolian Sites to see

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Mongolian Sites to see

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Location: Washington, DC - usually on my way to ROB, TBS, or MNL (sometimes COO, WDH, MSU, or ULN too)
Programs: United Gold, Delta Platinum
Question Which Mongolian Sites to see

I was hoping someone else had already asked this question, but it does not seem that the sights of Mongolia are a hot topic here on FlyerTalk.

I am heading to Mongolia for work and am planning to take about 9 days at the end of July to travel around ahead of time. I have seen Terelj and UB, but am trying to decide amongst all the other fabulous-sounding, but far-flung places to see. High on the list are:

- Lake Khovsgol/Khuvsgul and Darkhad Depression (would probably have to catch a local flight to Moron)
- Gurvan Saikhan national park

Whatever else is recommended (probably more interested in hiking than horseback riding). Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
See if you can fish some useful info from some other earlier threads, such as:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...ns-needed.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...-any-tips.html
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Location: Washington, DC - usually on my way to ROB, TBS, or MNL (sometimes COO, WDH, MSU, or ULN too)
Programs: United Gold, Delta Platinum
Yes, I read those. There wasn't much useful there, but if that's the extent of FlyerTalkers knowledge, then I guess I'll have to turn somewhere else.

Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
A day trip to see the wild horses is really worthwhile.

I used Tudevee (actually his brother did the tour): [email protected]

Great tour.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I'll be there over Naadam as well, with 2-3 free days on both sides. Anything do-able in 1-2 days would be nice, though I'm sure that really limits possibilities. Booking a reasonable hotel there over the peak days was the priority, but in hindsight a 5-6 day bloc on either side might've been better. Though I was right up against the peak time on KE awards (am finally using some KE miles).

I remember watching the Lonely Planet show & one of the budget-traveling interviewees saying you either needed a lot of time or a lot of money. ULN really sounds under-served by airlines if the economy is booming like they say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.