Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hanoi Tour Guide

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Hanoi Tour Guide

Can anyone recommend a great private tour guide for a full or half day in Hanoi? Also please comment on pricing. Would be interested in both conventional and "off the beaten path" guides (think motorbike, etc).

Thanks!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Why don't you consider the free student tours from Hanoikids. University students give non-professional, casual tours of Hanoi in exchange for English practice. You pay for lunch and cab fares, and no tipping. They're wonderful kids, and you have a new friend!

Email several weeks in advance to [email protected]
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

We tried but they were booked. We are on the wait list. Apparently it's quite a popular service.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Ha ha ha... I was once approached by a female student-looking type near Hoan Kiem lake. Keen to be my guide. Excellent English, but seemed to be asking rather too many questions. I became suspicious - but at the same time she just didn't seem to be prostitute type you sometimes get.

Turned out she was working for internal security, though it was a year before I found out.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by jimbo99

Turned out she was working for internal security, though it was a year before I found out.
Wait... how did you find out a year later?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:58 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Try the TripAdvisor.com forums specific to Hanoi. I have found several very good guides for specific cities this way with reviews from prior users.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Daawgon
Why don't you consider the free student tours from Hanoikids. University students give non-professional, casual tours of Hanoi in exchange for English practice. You pay for lunch and cab fares, and no tipping. They're wonderful kids, and you have a new friend!

Email several weeks in advance to [email protected]
The guides are unlikely to turn down a gift, and a donation (via the guides) towards the administrative costs of the endeavour is always welcome.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
.. she seemed to be asking rather too many questions.I became suspicious - but at the same time she just didn't seem to be prostitute type you sometimes get.
I'm something of an innocent in this area of commerce, but does interrogation by the service provider normally form part of the preliminary negotiations?

YOU CAN'T LEAVE US LIKE THIS! What happened? Did you marrry her?
Old Jun 5, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'm something of an innocent in this area of commerce, but does interrogation by the service provider normally form part of the preliminary negotiations?
Hanoi's pretty safe, but sometimes a lone male can be approached around the lake after dark. The girl seems very friendly - sometimes pretending to be offering "services", but no push. She suggests you sit with her in a secluded spot (like many young couples do). The usual game is to try and pickpocket you.

Originally Posted by LAXative
Wait... how did you find out a year later?
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
YOU CAN'T LEAVE US LIKE THIS! What happened? Did you marrry her?
I could tell, but I'd have to shoot you!
Old Jun 5, 2013, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

I could tell, but I'd have to shoot you!
As long as you don't kill us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.