Search

Beijing, Seoul, or somewhere else for long layover

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum
Beijing, Seoul, or somewhere else for long layover

Hi,

Planning a trip for winter break and hope to go LAX-(PEK/ICN or elsewhere)-BKK (stop) before doing a circuit in SEA via bus/train (then hitting NZ on the way back

The main layover I was looking at previously was Beijing or Seoul. Originally I was looking at Seoul since my brother was stationed nearby, but he's back in the states now.

Beijing looks really great too, though I know I will be there for 2+ weeks this spring (internship and certificate program at Beijing U of Chinese medicine, very excited!). So I will be going there, but I also know that there is so much to do in Beijing, I'd totally be open to another day there on this trip.

I'm looking at long layovers, like 12-23 hours, to maximise time. Any ideas on these or other places to connect for a flight to BKK? Again it will be wintertime, mid-December. Thanks!

PS- Am *A.

Last edited by Daichovo; May 27, 2013 at 10:45 am Reason: added alliance
Old May 27, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: various
In December, I would not advocate for PEK, especially since you are going to be there on another occasion. Too far north and too subject to delays esp that time of year. Between LAX and BKK, I would look into three possibilities: Shanghai PVG, where you can have an international transit for up to 72 hours and explore the city, without having to get a visa (assumes you have a USA passport per your profile origin). Or Taipei TPE where a visa is also not needed for short stays and you might be able to find a decent airfare deal...and has a bit more pleasant weather in December. Finally, HKG. Always a great place for a couple of days or so...but it is expensive on the accommodation side.

You should be aware that TPAC flights are very busy, in both directions and to/from all gateways, between roughly December 15 and January 7. Summer is not too early to book fares if traveling in either direction during this period and especially if looking for discounted booking classes, or using mileage award.
Old May 28, 2013, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I second all those choices (PVG, HKG, TPE). If you're not adverse to winter conditions, I would pick Tokyo over Seoul as I find it more interesting, especially if you can at least fly LAX-HND (are there HND-BKK flights?).

And of course, Singapore is a *A option if you want "better" weather.

(Also just FYI, your use of SEA was confusing for a second there... round these here parts, SEA=Seattle, not SE Asia)
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Premier, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, HH Gold
I would also skip Seoul in December as the weather is so bitterly cold this time of year and without having someone to visit it could be miserable and quiet.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Premier, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, HH Gold
Also these days you can now travel in Beijing for up to 72 hours on a layover with out a visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.