Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam Visa Pricing

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Vietnam Visa Pricing

I'm going to go to Vietnam in the fall. I am a U.S. Citizen and would need a visa.

Does anyone know the price for a single entry tourist visa at the SF Vietnam Consulate General Office? or there is a better/cheaper way to get one?

I heard each Consulate General or Embassy has its own pricing for tourist visas.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Do you look/speak Vietnamese?

It SHOULD be $45 (the floor price). Your best bet is to go in yourself, and when it comes to payment, you just say, "$45, right?" If you give the chance to name the price, it likely will be higher.

I've seen the price go as high as $90/per person.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Nope, I'm asian but don't speak vietnamese.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Depending on how much your time is worth, you could try a local travel agency specializing in Vietnam. One I know of in Orange County charges $90 total for a visa, and needed only a photocopy of your passport (meaning the visa is on a separate piece of paper). If you want a permanent record for posterity, submit your passport for a label that takes up a whole page.

You can also mail if you have time, so you don't waste time waiting in the office.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

If I mail it to the Consulate's office, should I just include a check for $45?
Old May 31, 2013, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by skyline101
If I mail it to the Consulate's office, should I just include a check for $45?
I doubt they'll take a check. If you're mailing it in you will likely need to send a money order or other form of guaranteed payment.

A personal check is unlikely to be taken by any Embassy/consular section.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:04 am

I've always just mailed mine in to the embassy in Washington DC. Never had a problem. I think it was $75 plus shipping or maybe $80.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: Aadvantage
You can arrange a visa on arrival online (VOA). I have done it several times as I don't like being without my passport. There are advantages and disadvantages. You can read this discussion and see what you think: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2...rival.Voa.html
Old May 31, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Teresita
You can arrange a visa on arrival online (VOA). I have done it several times as I don't like being without my passport. There are advantages and disadvantages. You can read this discussion and see what you think: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2...rival.Voa.html
There's also a thread about VOA in the Asia forum if you care to look for it. I'm personally opposed, but others had a better experience.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
I did Visa on arrival in Hanoi last year. I had no issues, it took 20 minutes and was cheaper. I also didn't have to send my passport to an unknown source.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
I was flying on a US passport from BKK to SGN and at check in they looked for my VISA for Vietnam. I did not get the sense that I could get it VOA? It was a tourist VISA. I had sent my passport to the embassy in Washington with the money order and I received it back within a week.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I was flying on a US passport from BKK to SGN and at check in they looked for my VISA for Vietnam. I did not get the sense that I could get it VOA? It was a tourist VISA. I had sent my passport to the embassy in Washington with the money order and I received it back within a week.
VOA is available. You'll find it from plenty of places here and abroad who handle it if you search here or Google.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I was flying on a US passport from BKK to SGN and at check in they looked for my VISA for Vietnam.
I have done this many times. If you do VOA, you apply in advance and get a letter. You show this to check-in staff and at the VOA desk (with fee and photo(s)).
Old Jun 3, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: UA
I just did SFO-SGN with VoA on a US passport and it was no problem at all, just print out the letter that you can get with any of the sites that come up when you search for "vietnam visa". I went with the cheapest one I could find because I wasn't in a rush.

When they asked me for the documents, I showed them the letter and they approved it. This was on United.

I tried emailing the SF consulate for a price and never got a reply so YMMV. VoA is the easiest route, imo. All you have to do is paypal an agency like $8-10, print the letter they send you (it'll have all of the names and passport numbers of people who requested a visa at the same time as you, you can request a private letter if it bothers you), take a photo, then drop it off at the visa counter when you fly into Vietnam, wait 10-15 minutes for your visa, then you can officially enter the country

Don't forget the stamping fee- the agency that you use to get a VoA letter should have updated information on the fees. Bring USD to pay the fee with.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
The VOA Approval Letter is far easier and cheaper. I've made 5 trips using this agent in Hanoi.

If you've never been to VN, you really need to do extensive research about Vietnam to make your trip a real success - I suggest Travelfish.org for a great deal of info.

(most comfortable travel option is on Asiana Airlines - best economy class!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.