Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vietnam Beach resort vs. Thailand?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Vietnam Beach resort vs. Thailand?

Looking to do a 4-5 night stay at a high end luxury beach resort either in Vietnam or Thailand. Any thoughts on which is better? Vietnam we are looking at either the Nam Hai or the six senses Con Dao.

In Thailand probably the 4 seasons although we are open to other suggestions.

Upside of Vietnam is that we will be coming from Hanoi so it is close. Otherwise we would coming from Siem Reap to the islands in Thailand.

I also like that (from appearance) Vietnam seems less developed. Also like that Hoi An is near Nam Hai offering dinner options and some potential diversion.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 5:21 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond. Skyteam Elite Plus. Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
My wife and I did the Victoria Hoi An and loved it.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 9:52 am

Sounds like you have a good budget. I think I'd give the Six Senses Con Dao a try. Very remote and quiet if that's what you're looking for. Of course, the Four Seasons will also be fantastic. If you prefer Hoi An, the Nam Hai will be a few steps above the Victoria.

You don't mention when you are going. Weather can be quite wet during the rainy seasons, so be sure to check the monthly forecasts for when you are going.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: various
On another thread, he mentioned late May to mid June, which should be fine on the central coast of Vietnam and the Gulf Coast side of Thailand. Andaman side of Thailand and Vietnam's Phu Quoc Island might be risking some rain, though it's early in the rainy season for those locations.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 1:20 pm

Didn't see the other thread. Your right, those spots you mention should be OK. Con Dao should also be OK.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Yes, will be there in early to mid June.

Re: 6 senses - I read that many only have AC in the bedroom. Given the heat I read about is this a potential deal breaker? Trying to sleep when hot is awful. Paying $500 per night to do it is worse. Any insight? Is the coast cooler?

Lastly, is Hoi An a neat of enough please to visit that it should swing our decision from one place to the Nam Hai?

FYI - it's our honeymoon which is why the budget is high. Once in a lifetime splurge!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6MM, Hilton Diamond
We stayed at the Six Senses Con Dao last July. We only had air conditioning in the bedroom on the upper floor. The ground floor does not have air conditioning, but since this is where the bathroom/outdoor shower is, this lack of AC is never a problem for us. The facilities at the Six Senses are top notch. The staff is always very friendly. The view of the ocean from the small infinity pool attached to your villa is stunning.
Con Dao does not have many sights to see outside of the resort area. Before 1975, Con Dao has always been known the place where political prisoners were sent out by whichever government was in place at the time, from the French colonial days to the war between North and South Vietnam. Today, its main sights are the famous "tiger cage" prison and the cemetery where the prisoners are buried. For the locals, these are very special places that still resonate with them.
Regardless, if you are looking for a spot just to have a relaxing time and enjoy the facilities, you cannot go wrong with the Six Senses.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 8:28 pm

We are currently in Vietnam in the La Veranda in Phu Quoc. Phu Quoc is 20 years behind other places. everything moves at a very slow pace. The La Veranda has very nice hardware, but the service is very disappointing. Especially in the Restaurant most people seem to hate working there. When you ask for a cup of tea they send you and you need to make it yourself. At the egg station when you point out that the plate they want to put the food on is actually dirty they take their finger and wipe the plate clean, then dump your food on top.

Nha Trang is a more lively city with more choices of restaurants, but it is completely infested by uneducated, rude, loud and unpleasant russian package tour tourists. But there is one very nice fairly new resort about 25 km outside of the city (in direction to the airport): The Mia. Their cliff pool villas are extremely nice, modern, great view, good privacy. Service is great. Highly recommended.

One other comment about Six Senses: Seems they have financial difficulties and have been sold to a PE firm. Some of their properties are bank owned now. Seems that things could potentially change there - watch out for the latest trip reports.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
Hoi An offers the best of everything in Vietnam, but the beach in both Hoi An and Danang does not compare in quality to those of the Thai islands. I go to Hoi An and Hanoi for culture, good food and above all the wonderful and outgoing Vietnamese people - this is considerably more than just a beach resort!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

When you say it does not compare you splitting hairs or is it a dramatic difference? The pictures look quite good - and I am not a huge beach person such that I care if one place is an A+ vs. a B+.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
When you say it does not compare you splitting hairs or is it a dramatic difference? The pictures look quite good - and I am not a huge beach person such that I care if one place is an A+ vs. a B+.
Not being a huge beach person myself, I think you'll think the central Vietnam beaches to be quite adequately fantastic.... perhaps an A- or high B+ on your scale.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Awesome. We are excited. Ever stayed at the Nam Hai? Is it worth the money vs. staying in Hoi An and just going to the beach?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:26 pm

Awesome. We are excited. Ever stayed at the Nam Hai? Is it worth the money vs. staying in Hoi An and just going to the beach?
It's your honeymoon. Stay at the Nam Hai.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I've not stayed at Nam Hai, but it looks fantastic on their website. Since it's your honeymoon, I'd agree with SaigonCyclo and just go for it.

I've stayed in Hoi An and enjoyed the beach and waters just fine, and on a regular vacation that probably would work well for you.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Will be staying at the Chedi in Chiang Mai and the Nam Hai. With the $150 Leaders Club from LHW we get upgrades, etc. that more than cover the cost of the membership. For example, at the Chedi they were kind enough to offer a 'honeymoon' upgrade to a Club Suite for $85 per night - about $50 less than you could book it for on your own. But with the $150 one time cost of the LWH Leaders Club we get the upgrade nightly. And since the Nam Hai is also a LHW we can do the same - book the lowest room (which is on a 3 for 2 right now) and get upgraded, which is worth about $150 per night. At 5 or 6 nights that is a big deal.

And we get the card for 12 months - and since we live in NYC as long as we "check in" guests at some of their hotels, which are among the best in the city, we can earn stays towards free nights while our guests get upgraded, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.