Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in Jakarta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Connecting in Jakarta

Hello! My friends and I have two connections through CGK with dependencies on Garuda Indonesia next month and am wondering now if I've allowed enough time for each.

1) Thursday, March 28: arrive at 13:10 on GA873 from HKG
Depart 15:35 on GA214 for JOG
We will need to get our visa on arrival - will we have enough time to get this? If not, do we have any options other than getting our visas in advance?

2) Saturday, April 6: arrive at 20:25 on GA725
Depart Terminal 2 on April 7 at 00:05 on CX798
We have 3.5 hours in HKG before our connecting flight on CX830 back to JFK. (We were initially supposed to arrive at CGK at 19:50, but they changed the flight times after I booked.)
Will we have enough time to connect? If we're delayed, and end up missing one/both of our connections, what are our options with Cathay to get home? (We are Restricted Economy (V))

Thanks in advance for helping with peace of mind and/or being better prepared!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Garuda, Air France
I think you will be ok, just.

This guide to transiting and changing terminals in Jakarta:
http://flights.indonesiamatters.com/...ort-terminals/
recommends a minimum of 3 hours between international arrival and domestic departure times, but it can be a bit less for Garuda domestic flights because they depart from Terminal 2F, next to international arrivals (2D/2E). Ideally, the two flights would be under the one booking, because then you don't have to collect and re-check your bags in Jakarta (they can be checked through to Yogyakarta - yes, seriously) and there is a special express lane through to the domestic terminal.

The same guide recommends a minimum of 4 hours between domestic departure and international arrival times, but again it can be a little less for Garuda domestic flights, for the same reason.

Here are some hints and tips for Indonesian international arrival procedures, including how to avoid infamously long queues for visa and immigration:
http://flights.indonesiamatters.com/...oms-indonesia/
Old Feb 22, 2013, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Even on those few occasions when my heart's dropped at the number of arrivals ahead of me, I've never taken more than 40 minutes to get through the visa malarkey at CGK. Perhaps I've been lucky, but it's usually a lot quicker. You can certainly help yourself by being among the first off the plane, having the documents correctly filled in, and getting in the right queues in the right sequence (you need to buy the visa sticker first).

If you are on a single ticket the process will be easier. But even if it isn't, you can ask the HKG people to check you through.

On the return, if there are no delays, a four hour connection should be fine. Though as it looks like two tickets, a delay could put you at the mercy of of the airlines: if it's a single ticket you have nothing to worry about except the possibility of getting home 12 hours' late...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the advice/resources, I felt much better prepared to guide us through CGK!

1) Thursday, March 28: there was no line to get the visa sticker when we arrived (~1 pm), and less than 5 people in front of us to get through the second step of the process. (Yes, this was under one booking so Garuda checked our luggage through to Jogyakarta - woot!) I saw signs for connecting through to domestic, but the express lane did not seem to be open as we filtered through the same channels as everyone else.

2) Saturday, April 6: On our way back through Jakarta we had plenty of time to collect our luggage, make our connection, GA725 had no delays. (Yes, these were separate tickets as we booked the CGK - HKG leg before we had finalized our itinerary in Indonesia.)

Am sure this isn't news to anyone here, but would highly recommend flying Garuda Indonesia in the future. Much higher levels of service/quality than on US airlines for flights of similar duration. (We did not think to request vegetarian meal for my husband from HKG -> CGK, and after the flight attendants checked to confirm it had not been requested, one of them prepared a plate of rice/vegetables for him!)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:07 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I have a similar situation and any experienced advice would be appreciated: I'm flying into Jakarta on Singapore Air, arriving at 10:10 AM. I want to transfer to a domestic Garuda flight at 12:10 PM, leaving for Yogyakarta. Does this work? Will Garuda accept my bags at their connection between customs and F gates? Any issues about which I should be aware.

Many thanks!
Old May 5, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
That should work for you
Old May 20, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
What are international to international connections like at Jakarta? If I am arriving on MH KUL-CGK and connecting on JL CGK-NRT, do I need a visa for transiting Jakarta? Do I have to change terminals when connecting from MH to JL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.