Phnom Penh - first time to Cambodia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phnom Penh - first time to Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Dunno if they still have it, but 2-for-1 Singapore slings at Le Royal hotel during happy hour were good. Raffles quality drinks for much less and in a historic setting. Palace and the FCCC also were must-sees. Tuol Sleng and Choueng Ek were indeed kinda depressing, but they wanted to have impact.

With so many flights straight into Siem Reap now I'm sure many people are bypassing PP entirely, whereas 13+ years ago you pretty much had to fly into PP.

Also a few pretty decent places for Vietnamese food, if memory serves. But it's a bad place to get a nasty case of food poisoning.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by RustyC
Dunno if they still have it, but 2-for-1 Singapore slings at Le Royal hotel during happy hour were good. Raffles quality drinks for much less and in a historic setting.
Yup, 4-9PM every day in the Elephant Bar is 2-1 cocktails/beers. How can you go wrong with a $5 (including service/tax) martini and gratis snacks?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:16 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RustyC

With so many flights straight into Siem Reap now I'm sure many people are bypassing PP entirely, whereas 13+ years ago you pretty much had to fly into PP.
My first flights into REP and PNH were from HKG, in 2005. The former was a charter, the latter may have been scheduled. I wonder when they both started (with KA) as regularly scheduled routes.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 8:26 pm

How about a jug of perfectly made Mojitos for $7.50 ? 5-7 at the FCC.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
There are two many times where a table is difficult to come by. Our happy hour forays to the FCC have become limited.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based upon your recommendation this was our destination as we were already along the riverside a bit after 5PM.

There was one table open near the stairs at our favorite server's area. The first pitcher was great. The second pitcher not so much. Word came back that two different bartenders had worked on the drinks and our server pointed out which bartender made the first one.... ^
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Based upon your recommendation this was our destination as we were already along the riverside a bit after 5PM.

There was one table open near the stairs at our favorite server's area. The first pitcher was great. The second pitcher not so much. Word came back that two different bartenders had worked on the drinks and our server pointed out which bartender made the first one.... ^
I've yet to have a bad one, but I'd just have him adjust the 2nd. Too much sugar - more lime. Too much lime - more sugar. More mint, more rum etc. I usually have them make the mojito w/ a golden (not dark) rum like Mangoustans or Baita too. Makes a better drink IMO.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've yet to have a bad one, but I'd just have him adjust the 2nd. Too much sugar - more lime. Too much lime - more sugar. More mint, more rum etc. I usually have them make the mojito w/ a golden (not dark) rum like Mangoustans or Baita too. Makes a better drink IMO.
If I were there with a friend then belly up to the bar is where we'd be. With my better half we get a table and can't keep tabs on what the barkeep is putting in. Such is life.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
you guys sure drink a lot
Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Phnom Penh to Siem Reap

We have two nights in Cambodia as part of a SE Asia trip. Booked to fly into PP around 9am on Friday and flying out of Siem Reap that Sunday afternoon.

Am I realistic to think that we can see the Genocide museum/killing fields Friday morning, and take a bus to Siem Reap for an arrival sometime that evening? Am planning on going to Ankor Wat saturday.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:39 pm

Seems to be possible, even if you will not enjoy your time in cambodia.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Blootch
We have two nights in Cambodia as part of a SE Asia trip. Booked to fly into PP around 9am on Friday and flying out of Siem Reap that Sunday afternoon.

Am I realistic to think that we can see the Genocide museum/killing fields Friday morning, and take a bus to Siem Reap for an arrival sometime that evening? Am planning on going to Ankor Wat saturday.
If you land at 9:00 am in PNH, you'll never been able to do both Tuol Sleng (genocide museum) and killing fields during this morning. Killing fields are outside town and, If I were you, I would stay downtown and do only Tuol Sleng. Believe me, after this visit (a must do IMO), you'll need fun
And also to have a few extra hours in PP, rather than taking a bus to SR (you indeed need to take it right after lunch if you want to be in SR for dinner), take a one-way flight to REP on K5 (Cambodia Angkor Air). It's quite cheap and will save you a lot of time and so you can visit the royal palace and have a walk/lunch on Sisowath quay.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Blootch

I'd say it's certainly possible, but the last thing I'd want to do after visiting Tuol Sleng and Choeung Ek would be to hop on a long bus ride. There's a relatively long audio tour at Choeung Ek and a brief museum visit as well. Lots of reading at Tuol Sleng, but you could probably just look at the pictures and wander around if you wanted.

I was just there a few weeks ago - I hired a tuk-tuk driver for the day for $20 (it had just started to pour so my bartering abilities were diminished). I went to Choeung Ek, then Tuol Sleng, and then finished off the day at the Royal Palace. I was also alone and tend to be a fairly fast walker so YMMV.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ahuch

I was just there a few weeks ago - I hired a tuk-tuk driver for the day for $20 (it had just started to pour so my bartering abilities were diminished). I went to Choeung Ek, then Tuol Sleng, and then finished off the day at the Royal Palace. I was also alone and tend to be a fairly fast walker so YMMV.
The palace and Silver Pagoda are a relatively quick wander... there's really not much to hold interesting inside the grounds.

The hassle in all of this is simply the distance and time to Choeung Ek. For first time visitors it's rather dismal, somber and sordid experience.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
The palace and Silver Pagoda are a relatively quick wander... there's really not much to hold interesting inside the grounds.

The hassle in all of this is simply the distance and time to Choeung Ek. For first time visitors it's rather dismal, somber and sordid experience.
I'll agree with you there. One important thing I'd also mention to any potential visitors is that if you're taking a tuktuk around Phnom Penh, you should bring some sunglasses with you regardless of the weather because it can get really dusty and irritating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.