Phnom Penh - first time to Cambodia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phnom Penh - first time to Cambodia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
This is actually the oddity of it: I never feel that using the term Khmer offends anyone but when people ask me if I can eat local foods the question is always, 'Cambodian food' rather than Khmer food.

If you have any desire to eat local foods I'd come prepared with Cipro. And definitely get your Hep A/B shots.
dsquared, obviously you are not in the tourism industry(based on a lot of negativity). Those of us who are here trying, and succeeding, in training Cambodian food workers in preparation, hygiene, presentation, creativity, etc. may have a different take. I appreciate that you are trying to give the OP some advice but your brush seems to be a bit broad. I admit that it's been a struggle at times but I find the young people I am training to be ambitious, conscientious, open to new ideas and at least some of them will advance their careers through hard work and a desire to better their lives.
That said, I asked my staff this morning if they prefer "Khmer" to "Cambodian" and it was a universal "yes". From today, Khmer is what I will use to describe the language and the cuisine.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by chefdg1
dsquared, obviously you are not in the tourism industry(based on a lot of negativity). Those of us who are here trying, and succeeding, in training Cambodian food workers in preparation, hygiene, presentation, creativity, etc. may have a different take. I appreciate that you are trying to give the OP some advice but your brush seems to be a bit broad. I admit that it's been a struggle at times but I find the young people I am training to be ambitious, conscientious, open to new ideas and at least some of them will advance their careers through hard work and a desire to better their lives.
That said, I asked my staff this morning if they prefer "Khmer" to "Cambodian" and it was a universal "yes". From today, Khmer is what I will use to describe the language and the cuisine.
I'm hardly being negative. While you are working in tourism and, by necessity, must conduct your food prep etc in a hygienic standard i can assure you that most restaurants in Phnom Penh, and throughout the country, do not.

I specifically stated, when mentioning Cipro, about local foods and I maintain that position. In over five years living and traveling Asia I've had more problems in Cambodia than anywhere else, not even close. A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with 2 parasites, both known to be from unsanitary food preparation, rife in certain parts of the country.

If you want to bury your head in the proverbial sand and deny food hygiene in Cambodia is problematic I'm not here to judge you on that. However stating that I'm being negative when I'm simply giving OP a realistic assessment of the problems he will encounter if going to local places then that I do have a problem with.

Finally, if you have students ambitious, interested, and capable of picking up cooking multiple cuisines that is great.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:02 am

I'm hardly being negative. While you are working in tourism and, by necessity, must conduct your food prep etc in a hygienic standard i can assure you that most restaurants in Phnom Penh, and throughout the country, do not.

I specifically stated, when mentioning Cipro, about local foods and I maintain that position. In over five years living and traveling Asia I've had more problems in Cambodia than anywhere else, not even close. A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with 2 parasites, both known to be from unsanitary food preparation, rife in certain parts of the country.

If you want to bury your head in the proverbial sand and deny food hygiene in Cambodia is problematic I'm not here to judge you on that. However stating that I'm being negative when I'm simply giving OP a realistic assessment of the problems he will encounter if going to local places then that I do have a problem with.

Finally, if you have students ambitious, interested, and capable of picking up cooking multiple cuisines that is great.
I think you drew your own conclusion. I am not an apologist for Khmer food safety standards. I merely asked you to recognize that not all food in Cambodia is going to kill you. I live in the real world and have thirty plus years in this industry. I am not burying my head in the sand. There are foods and there are places that are dangerous. I reiterate. Not all food in Cambodia is horrible and not every place will deliver a plate of parasitic laced crap. If you are in country so much - what do you eat? BTW, my staff prepares only local food and not "multiple cuisines." You do them a disservice and I feel that the OP should not miss some unique and delicious dishes simply because you don't even trust the places that really do a good job. Sorry.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you drew your own conclusion. I am not an apologist for Khmer food safety standards. I merely asked you to recognize that not all food in Cambodia is going to kill you. I live in the real world and have thirty plus years in this industry. I am not burying my head in the sand. There are foods and there are places that are dangerous. I reiterate. Not all food in Cambodia is horrible and not every place will deliver a plate of parasitic laced crap. If you are in country so much - what do you eat? BTW, my staff prepares only local food and not "multiple cuisines." You do them a disservice and I feel that the OP should not miss some unique and delicious dishes simply because you don't even trust the places that really do a good job. Sorry.
Huh? Who do I do a disservice? Certainly not the person who goes out and gets diarhea from a little hole-in-the-resto... and I've gotten it from better places than that! And pray tell where I said Cambodia food is going to kill anyone? That statement is patently absurd and has no basis in any of my posts.

Your posts are becoming laughable in, not only their apologist bent, but in the lack of reality of what is happening on the ground.

Further, how arrogant do you need to be to teach local people their own foods? Or let me guess, you're working for yet another NGO and making good money and absolving a government of yet more responsibilities while they continue to line their pockets with money.... some of it yours.

Finally, I fail to see how my statement that a tourist should have their shots and bring meds is anywhere near inflammatory. Rather it indicates how little knowledge you have of health stats/trends in Cambodia.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:59 pm

Huh? Who do I do a disservice? Certainly not the person who goes out and gets diarhea from a little hole-in-the-resto... and I've gotten it from better places than that! And pray tell where I said Cambodia food is going to kill anyone? That statement is patently absurd and has no basis in any of my posts.

Your posts are becoming laughable in, not only their apologist bent, but in the lack of reality of what is happening on the ground.

Further, how arrogant do you need to be to teach local people their own foods? Or let me guess, you're working for yet another NGO and making good money and absolving a government of yet more responsibilities while they continue to line their pockets with money.... some of it yours.

Finally, I fail to see how my statement that a tourist should have their shots and bring meds is anywhere near inflammatory. Rather it indicates how little knowledge you have of health stats/trends in Cambodia.
Apologies to the OP who just wanted to enjoy his trip to P.P. Life's too short to get into a pissing contest about who knows more about Khmer cuisine. Be safe, be smart, eat what looks good to you and enjoy your visit.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apologies to the OP who just wanted to enjoy his trip to P.P. Life's too short to get into a pissing contest about who knows more about Khmer cuisine. .
Where did this ever involve anything of the like? You took exception to my statement that OP should have meds because anyone who spends any time here gets sick. This is simply common sense that any frequent visitor or expat is aware of.

Be safe, be smart, eat what looks good to you and enjoy your visit.
We can agree upon that.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
If you see a marshal pass out around turn 9 at the Sepang Circuit during the Malaysian Grand Prix... its safe to say that was a result of a Khmer parasite that marshal foolishly pigged out on during a visit to PP.

thanks for the input guys!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:09 pm

If one wants to lose some weight, may I recommend the Khmer specialty of baby clams and or cockles dried in the sun with salt and chilis.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talked with several people today and it was a resounding 'whatever you want to call it'.

The most cogent explanation was from an Australian educated Cambodian, mid-40's, who owns the gym I frequent: "It really comes down to where you learned English."

That said, I talked mostly with late 20's BS/MS Cambodians who grew up in Phnom Penh. So we're dealing with city vs country, different regions and different education.

About the most I can make out of this is, well, nothing.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
If you see a marshal pass out around turn 9 at the Sepang Circuit during the Malaysian Grand Prix... its safe to say that was a result of a Khmer parasite that marshal foolishly pigged out on during a visit to PP.

thanks for the input guys!
A Khmer parasite would be the members of federal government, but that's for another thread.

You're unlikely to contract a parasite unless straying from tourist areas, but having a stash of Cipro is never a bad idea because you never know when the runs will hit. And it's foolish to travel extensively in SE Asia without your Hep A/B shots anyway.

Originally Posted by whackyjacky
If one wants to lose some weight, may I recommend the Khmer specialty of baby clams and or cockles dried in the sun with salt and chilis.
I love the little can they measure them out in. It's like a soup of E coli and tetanus just waiting to find a home.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:39 am

I was thinking more in the hemorrhagic fever category. Ebola in a can !
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Credit Cards
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
tasty issit?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
The genocide stuff is depressing but in my opinion necessary. Got o Tuol Sleng and Cheong Ek, maybe go out to the military base and shoot some assault rifles if that's your thing. Have some beers along the river and shake your head at the monstrous hotel going up on the far bank. Cool city just to wander around, the Russian Market as mentioned is touristy crap. ^ to the Kep crabs, but if he's on a day trip I don't think he's got the time to pop over there, it's what 3-3.5 hours each way?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
The genocide stuff is depressing but in my opinion necessary. Got o Tuol Sleng and Cheong Ek, maybe go out to the military base and shoot some assault rifles if that's your thing. Have some beers along the river and shake your head at the monstrous hotel going up on the far bank. Cool city just to wander around, the Russian Market as mentioned is touristy crap. ^ to the Kep crabs, but if he's on a day trip I don't think he's got the time to pop over there, it's what 3-3.5 hours each way?
That hotel across the way has been in built in bits and spurts for 6 years already.

It's likely to be moving along well now, indicated by the gov kicking out the Cham fishing village that kept their boats at the confluence of the Mekong and Tonle Bassac.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by TrueBlueFlyer
Three questions:

1). Any recent experience with Cambodia visa? Best to get it in advance or on arrival? I'm happy to bring passport photos with me at the airport if its cheaper.

2). What would you do on a day trip to Phnom Penh?

3). What foodie experiences are recommended in Cambodia?

cheers!
--Russ
Getting the e-visa worked well for us. Costs $5 more but uploading pics was actually easier/cheaper for us than printing them out, plus it saved us some time at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.