Myanmar - Air Bagan crash

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2012, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
Myanmar - Air Bagan crash

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-2...-burma/4443458

Two killed as plane crash lands in Burma

A Burmese airliner carrying 63 passengers has made an emergency landing in the country's north-east, killing two people and injuring 10 others.

A spokesman for Air Bagan said the Fokker 100 jet landed about three kilometres short of Heho airport in Shan state.

It is believed an 11-year-old passenger was killed as the plane touched down.

Another person was killed when the plane struck a motorbike on a road near the airport.

The plane was carrying 63 passengers, 51 of whom were foreigners. Four foreigners and the pilot were among the injured.

The exact circumstances of the incident are not immediately clear, but a government official said a fire was reported in one of the engines as it approached the airport around 9.00am (local time).

"Because of the emergency landing near the airport, the plane broke up in the middle," the official told AFP on condition of anonymity, adding that passengers were evacuated.

A local tour guide waiting at the airport for passengers on the Air Bagan flight to arrive said the fire had "burnt almost the whole plane".

Heho airport is the gateway to the popular tourist destination of Inle Lake.

Air Bagan is one of several domestic carriers seeking to profit from a tourist boom in Burma as it emerges from decades of military rule.

It is owned by Tay Za, a tycoon known for his close links to the former junta.

The airline operates two Fokker 100 jets, which are no longer manufactured.
Hope no FTers were involved, with all of the RGN jumbos out there

May cause some havoc over the next few weeks too, can't imagine they have spare planes sitting around.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 4:53 am

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Sounds like a miracle more people were not killed in this.

But yes it will cause a lot of disruption. I think a lot of tourists will not be making it to all their planned destinations in country
Old Dec 25, 2012, 7:40 am

Programs: most of them
It does sound like a miracle that more people were not hurt.

I flew one of their F100's from Mandalay to Heho last year.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: UA
Just saw this on BBC. I'd be willing to bet that at least one FTer was on this flight. I very well could have been since I was originally going to be in Burma during these dates on one of the "Round 1" RGN fares and this was an itinerary I was thinking of taking. When Round 3 came up I switched to a better date for me and canceled my original round 1 ticket.

I'm amazed the toll was not higher, looking at the wreckage.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by freezefactor
I'd be willing to bet that at least one FTer was on this flight.
Well...it could have been me...almost
Air Bagan has (had) only 2 F100 and I flew them twice these last days. Last time was last friday on HEH-RGN. The plane was arriving from MDL (so the flight that crashed) and was continuing to RGN. The plane looked in good shape when I flew it.
I feel very lucky...
RIP ..
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:41 pm

Here's hoping they ground the other F100 after this.

Originally Posted by glennaa11
It does sound like a miracle that more people were not hurt.

I flew one of their F100's from Mandalay to Heho last year.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by malgudi
Here's hoping they ground the other F100 after this.
Why ? At that stage there is no indication that there was a plane dysfunction but more likely a pilot error in adverse weather (deep fog).
Old Dec 26, 2012, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Why ? At that stage there is no indication that there was a plane dysfunction but more likely a pilot error in adverse weather (deep fog).
Right, deep fog and/or heavy snow apparently.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:07 pm

I said the other day that local Burmese planes were not worth the risk.

We need Bagan to become and international airport so we can fly there on AirAsia or Silkair.

Otherwise, it's AirAsia from Bangkok to Mandalay and then a 8hr boat journey down the Irrawaddy to Bagan.

I will never fly on any Myanmar airline.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:42 pm

Accidents happen everywhere. Remember all the trouble QF had with their A380s? Luckily no one died.

But like I said in the other thread, I never felt unsafe on Air Bagan. I would fly on pretty much any of the local airlines. Asian Wings actually looks pretty good.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Accidents happen everywhere. Remember all the trouble QF had with their A380s? Luckily no one died.

But like I said in the other thread, I never felt unsafe on Air Bagan. I would fly on pretty much any of the local airlines. Asian Wings actually looks pretty good.
I flew Air Mandalay this past weekend. On the way to Bagan I felt completely safe and service was quite good. On the way back there was a flat tire in Bagan.. but plane still took off. You bet I was praying the entire flight.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
In 2005 I met some friends in Yangon. They only had 10 days for the trip so we quickly purchased tix to fly up to Mandalay; I don't remember which airline.

As we were still climbing, about midway through the quick flight, a man emerged from the cockpit, removed his shoes and prostrated himself in front of a (venerated?) monk sitting in 1B.

We got a lot of mileage joking around about this sight causing panic, Airplane! like mayhem onboard, in the US.

As for this crash, I'm amazed and thankful the casualties were so minimal.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:51 am

One of the Yangon guides I'm talking to right now about a city tour mentioned his friend (also a former guide) died in the crash.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:02 pm

Sure, accidents happen everywhere. But this doesn't mean that Air Bagan and other Burmese carriers are safe (and certainly not anywhere near as safe as major carriers from other nations).

To your point, Qantas never tried to land one of its A380s on a suburban road thinking that it was the runway at the airport - which is reportedly what happened in the most recent Air Bagan incident.

Air Bagan has injured and now killed more people in its short history and limited operations than Qantas has in decades of flying millions of people all around the world.

Burmese (and other third world) carriers simply do not have anywhere near the same quality of pilots, maintenance, safety culture as Western airlines. I will be steering well clear.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
We need Bagan to become and international airport so we can fly there on AirAsia or Silkair.
I would take any Burmese airline over Air Asia.

And it's a great insult to put Silk Air next to Air Asia, I fly Silk Air on some routes to avoid AirAsia even though it costs thrice as much and takes thrice as long (transit).

Just because you managed to secure a cheap fare by purchasing 12 months in advance, it doesn't mean Air Asia is the airline everyone should fly. There are dozens of much better airlines in Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.