Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Myanmar - Air Bagan crash

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajca
(and other third world) carriers simply do not have anywhere near the same quality of pilots, maintenance, safety culture as Western airlines. I will be steering well clear.
So you would stay clear of the likes of TG & MH ? or any other asian airline like SQ since they are not 'western' ?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I am not a pilot but when I read that the airport, which is in an area that is known to have fog has NO ILS, that would scare me. Makes me wonder about the other airports in Myanmar.

I xld my flights to Bagan. Maybe an over reaction but my husband and son are happy I did. I will also wait until the internal aviation system gets better.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:15 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by cruisr

I xld my flights to Bagan. Maybe an over reaction but my husband and son are happy I did. I will also wait until the internal aviation system gets better.
that's really too bad. Bagan is pretty interesting. But I do understand the rationale behind it. If this crash had happened last week I probably wouldn't have gone either.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
The crash did not happen in Bagan (airport = Nyaung U, code NYU) but in Heho (code HEH), the aiport serving the Inle lake area.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Goldorak
The crash did not happen in Bagan (airport = Nyaung U, code NYU) but in Heho (code HEH), the aiport serving the Inle lake area.
Yes I know. My point was that I was to fly on Air Bagan. The info on HEH was just added as a commentary on the operations of a domestic airport which having no IFL also reflects on the aviation system domestically.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: most of them
Well, a lot of these "third world' airlines hire Western pilots.

While Myanmar aviation is not as modern as most other places, it is probably still safer than traveling by road.

Of course we've had plane crashes here in US relatively recently flown by regional carrier with ties/business relationships with the majors.

Obviously everyone has to do what makes them comfortable. Personally I haven't avoided flying in SE Asia and will continue to do so. Crossing the street in a lot of Asian locations is more dangerous than flying.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
I'm feeling pretty relieved I took FT's advice and booked Yangon Air just over a month ago for travel between NYU and RGN... I actually quite liked Yangon Air, and certainly didn't feel unsafe flying with them. Yeah, I know, accidents happen and from my experience traveling by air within Myanmar is much safer than by land
Old Dec 31, 2012, 7:58 am

Also you'll save a bunch of money by traveling by bus now. You're going to love Bagan!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.