Wiki Posts
Search

Taxis at Manila Airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Taxis at Manila Airport

Hello everyone:

This is my first post so sorry in advance if I don't use the proper terms and if I placed this in the wrong forum.

My boyfriend and I will be going to the Philippines in two weeks time and I wanted to know what was the best choice for taxis from the airport (Terminal 1) to our hotel (Dusit Thani Manila).

I did read in another forum to take the yellow taxis, but it was an outdated forum. Does anyone have any updated insight on which taxi to take?

I read on Manila Airport's website that a coupon taxi (I believe the white taxis) will only cost PHP 330, which to me is not bad. Being our first time in Manila, I'm not sure if we would want to flag down a taxi.

Also, I read in other forums that you need to go to a desk to pay for the taxi. Where exactly is this desk located? Inside or outside the terminal? Which direction after arrivals?

Thanks in advance for your help,
sportingdb22
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:55 am

[Edited quote info as unnecessary.]

at terminal 1, you will see yellow taxis immediately right after you walk out of the building and turn left. Do not go down the ramp, that is where people go to wait for pick ups. There will be a desk where they will ask where you are going, which is for your safety as the desk would take down the taxi plate number and where they are taking you (but in actuality, no one keeps track). Either case, when you get in the taxi, make sure they start the meter. It is very important, other wise they will try to charge you double or triple the rate. The yellow taxis are already about double normal city cab rates, so do not let them inflate it anymore. Also when you mention Dusit Thani, being it is a 5-star hotel, the drivers will assume you are rich and being you are foreigner, dumb as well. So make sure you tell them to start the meter. A cab fare with yellow airport taxi's to Dusit Thani should not exceed 400 at most. Normal city cabs will be 200, so when you go back to the airport, make sure of that as well. Always tell the taxi driver to start the meter every where you go. good luck and enjoy your trip

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 14, 2012 at 11:16 am Reason: See above.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Taxis are controlled at MNL airport. Go to the taxi kiosk, tell the agent where you want to go, the agent will give you the price & you'll get a ticket to give the driver.

The prices are fixed. 330p to the Dusit may not be right. I suspect it'll be more like 450p. Pay the driver exactly that and no more (though a 10% tip will be appreciated.)

I've never had any issue with taxis from the airport. Taxis within MNL are an entirely different story. Some will refuse to turn on the meter. Just get out & find another.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by sportingdb22
Hello everyone:

This is my first post so sorry in advance if I don't use the proper terms and if I placed this in the wrong forum.

My boyfriend and I will be going to the Philippines in two weeks time and I wanted to know what was the best choice for taxis from the airport (Terminal 1) to our hotel (Dusit Thani Manila).

I did read in another forum to take the yellow taxis, but it was an outdated forum. Does anyone have any updated insight on which taxi to take?

I read on Manila Airport's website that a coupon taxi (I believe the white taxis) will only cost PHP 330, which to me is not bad. Being our first time in Manila, I'm not sure if we would want to flag down a taxi.

Also, I read in other forums that you need to go to a desk to pay for the taxi. Where exactly is this desk located? Inside or outside the terminal? Which direction after arrivals?

Thanks in advance for your help,
sportingdb22
This is based on my experience. Don't hail a taxi yourself in Manila. There is a hotel transit desk after you come out of the customs/immigration hall. Go to it and state the hotel you're going to. They normally have a list of guests for each hotel. They'll probably ask you if you want the hotel car (which is expensive) or a taxi. It's OK to ask for the taxi as long as they arrange it. They'll likely then take you to an airconditioned waiting room, which is on a small strip of land after you leave the terminal and cross a few lanes of departing traffic. They'll come and get you when the car/taxi is ready. Be sure to get some pesos before you leave the immigration hall. I usually use the Philippines Customs Bank. They have excellent rates (normally the financial market exchange rate) and no commission.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:17 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow as the thread moves to the Destination->Asia forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, United forum.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 1:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Consider the reserved car from the hotel

Hi,

I know this is more expensive, but at least consider getting a reserved car from the Dusit in advance. After a long flight or flights, and hitting the craziness of terminal 1 at night, I appreciate being able to just walk to the hotel ride area and wait for my ride. I know I will be safe and will make it to the hotel timely and in comfort. Some cabs are not the cleanest, and others can't fit large luggage well. Going back to the airport, a cab is always fine as you can be choosy on which cab to take.

Terminal 1 is not a pleasant place at 10PM. My first time arriving, I was totally lost trying to meet someone and ended up walking into traffic without realizing it.

At least consider the reserved car from the hotel.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies!

I think the hotel transportation is a bit pricey so I think I will risk it and either go to the taxi kiosk or the hotel transfer area to ask for one.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Blue
Trust me, you will be fine - the taxi's are really easy to get. All those hotel transports are over priced and not worth it.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: UA Club Card, UA & DL Platinum; Hyatt's Gold Passport, AVIS President's Club, AA, GOES
Originally Posted by sportingdb22
Thank you all for your replies!

I think the hotel transportation is a bit pricey so I think I will risk it and either go to the taxi kiosk or the hotel transfer area to ask for one.
Just a word of caution. Keep both of your doors locked at all times!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:54 pm

How much would it cost to go from NAIA Terminal 1 to Manila Hotel in

white taxis
yellow taxis
coupon taxis

?

For reference, the hotel quoted me a hotel car for PHP 800.

If I am leaving the hotel back to the airport for an 8pm flight (rush hour traffic around 530pm), should I go for the hotel car ?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by zhaobao
How much would it cost to go from NAIA Terminal 1 to Manila Hotel in

white taxis
yellow taxis
coupon taxis

?

For reference, the hotel quoted me a hotel car for PHP 800.

If I am leaving the hotel back to the airport for an 8pm flight (rush hour traffic around 530pm), should I go for the hotel car ?
Not exact pricing, but the coupon taxi will be about P450 (there is a board where you get the taxi and they tell you beforehand). A yellow taxi will be around P250-P300 (maybe?). Sorry I can't be more exact. Just make sure they turn on the meter and take the yellow taxi. When they ask if it is your first time to Manila say you come there often (so they won't try to take advantage of you).

From the Hotel to the Airport, just get a metered taxi (although, after being in Manila for a few days, you should be able to answer this question yourself). If it is raining allow plenty of extra time.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by Crocodile
A yellow taxi will be around P250-P300 (maybe?). Sorry I can't be more exact.
This is accurate for MNL-Ermita in a Yellow Airport meter taxi.

Last edited by Mabuk dan gila; Dec 18, 2013 at 5:24 pm
Old Dec 18, 2013, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
IME, booking a private car/van transfer via the hotel is about 3X the cost of the Yellow taxis.

I am used to 225-250 PHP from NAIA to IC-Makati.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:46 pm

Thank you all ! Very helpful advice indeed.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Used a yellow taxi from Manila airport to Shangri La Makati. The metered fare was 210 pesos. No traffic, it was 4 a.m.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.