Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Advice, Dhaka (Bangladesh) - anyone done the visa on arrival?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Gold, QR Silver, HH Diamond

Hi all. Have sudden trip requirement to Dhaka, and no time to process the full visa application.

Local agent is advising me that visa on arrival is available for $50 in Dhaka airport.

Happy to trust him, but you know how it can go . . . has anyone on the BA board done this before? is it legitimate for a British Passport holder and does it work ok?

Thx in advance! ^
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
I reckon once you get there, you could possibly grease some palms to ease the procedure but and a real big BUT is that you need to convince an airline to take you to Bangladesh without the requisite visa.

I believe that the only exemption to the visa is if you have been invited by the Bangladesh chamber of commerce and are a businessman etc etc. Your better off just popping down to the Bangladesh high commission and apply for a visa. If you are prepare to hand over some cash, you can get it done within an hour.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Your travel agent will probably have consulted Timatic, which says:

National United Kingdom (GB) /Destination Bangladesh (BD)

Bangladesh (BD)

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
on arrival.

Visa Issuance:
Visa required, except for Nationals of United Kingdom can

obtain a visa on arrival at Dhaka (DAC), for a max. stay of 90
days. Fee: Varies per country.
Additional Information:

- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to
cover their stay and documents required for their next
destination.

Warning:
- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused

entry.
It's also very likely that a check-in agent would consult the same source.

Edited to add: also watch out for any transit visa required, depending on the route you take to DAC.

hth

Last edited by dunk; Dec 7, 2011 at 5:10 am
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As ever, the customary short run before moving on.

Swanhunter
Moderator BAEC
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK *S
VOA is alive and well!

Your agent is indeed correct, you can get visa on arrival. My partner and I do quite alot of business there and have no trouble getting a VOA - we've done it for years! Most recently I was there a couple of weeks ago and got one (I hold a UK passport), my partner (Turkish) is there at the moment and got one. I've seen a large book on their counter which lists loads of countries and varying prices.

When you are coming up to the immigration desks, the VOA desk is on the far left (it is well marked). Basically you go up the counter, someone takes you over to a bank counter, you pay your money, they give you a receipt, you go back, a few stamps, your name is written down, your picture taken and voila - your passport is stamped.

A few tips:
It is generally cheaper if you pay in dollars
Keep your eyes peeled for the fixers, for about $5 extra they will sit you down with a coffee, they run off to get your passport stamped, you don't have to deal with anything (and even collect your bags and hail you a taxi if you play your cards right!)
When you are leaving the country, make sure you get in the passport queue on the far right - it is the only one with foreigners in it - the signs aren't very clear...
And if all else fails, money can fix ANYTHING in Dhaka...
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK *S
checking in...

Forgot to add...

Not sure who you are flying with there, but if you are flying with Turkish Airlines or Emirates they will ask when you are checking in if you have a visa, but just tell them you will get a VOA...that satisfies them...
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:46 am
Original Poster

bxfresh220 - that is fantastically useful - thank you so much. All hail the power of FT ^

Yes, arriving on EK, so will follow your tips.

Looking forward to Dhaka - a first!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by bxfresh220
Keep your eyes peeled for the fixers, for about $5 extra they <snip> run off to get your passport stamped
I respect your experience, but you really hand your passport off to a guy you've never met and before you enter the country?!?! Is the fixer always in sight, I hope??
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Good info.. Heading into DAC next year. Thank you.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 6:33 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I did this earlier this year... took only a few minutes and the ~$50.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
OP, you said that you don't have time to get a visa before departing ... how long were you quoted for getting a visa before departure?

I got a Bangladeshi visa in NYC earlier this year, and it was either next-day or same-day (don't remember which).
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
OP, you said that you don't have time to get a visa before departing ... how long were you quoted for getting a visa before departure?

I got a Bangladeshi visa in NYC earlier this year, and it was either next-day or same-day (don't remember which).
In the UK it looks like you need a good clear week to be safe. I tried earlier this year, first got the LOI, then was ready for the final step, had a week to spare in my schedule - but the High Commission in London explained they were having a day off the following Monday; this pushed it into a second week so I abandoned the application as it caused a diary conflict.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Update

I did it, what a piece of cake. Thanks to posters for great advice.

The VOA desk had zero queue. Very friendly officer. Straight through and in the hotel bus 10 minutes after reaching the airbridge.

Going rate was either $66usd, or 50 sterling.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Just did this yesterday.
Took 5 mins.
Pay $50 + 7 taka at the bank (so $51 and get 70 taka change from the bank man)
Then go to the man at the desk with the ledger with the bank receipt

Then go to the front of the VOA /investors/diplomats line

Easy. There was also a sign at the bank that said rate can be paid by 43 Euros.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:11 pm

I was planning to fly into DAC and take the train to Kolkata back out.

(a) The Bangladesh govt has posted rules for Visa on Arrival saying they need proof of departure (ticket). Do they actually do that? I can fake a printout, of course, but I'd rather not.

(b) In the past they apparently required additional paperwork if you were leaving at a different point from where you entered. Do they still do that?

(PS I know one cannot get VOA at land borders. I would be exiting only. I have a long-term Indian visa.)

Many thanks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.