Wiki Posts
Search

A Few Brunei Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
A Few Brunei Questions

I'll be visiting Brunei for a week in August. This will be the first time that I've visited a Muslim nation during Ramadan so I had a few questions.

1. Will any restaurants (including hotel restaurants) be open during the day? I obviously don't want to cause offense which is why I'm trying to plan in advance.

2. Is the dress code for women more strict during this time? For reference I have visited Egypt, Turkey, and Jordan. My sister will be traveling with me and I know she will need to cover up to visit mosques but is any special dress required for walking around? Are jeans and a shirt acceptable?

3. I don't know if I will be bringing any alcohol. From what I understand non-Muslims can apply for a permit upon arrival. Is any advance application necessary?

4. Are day trips to Malaysia feasible?

5. Any recommendations for things to do/see in Brunei?

Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
some answers to some questions.

1. I suggest that you contact the Sheraton Brunei or any hotel where you intend to stay. and ask the question.

2. Someone else with knowledge should answer this.

3. People from Brunei regularly go to Labuan (Malaysia) by ferry to buy "duty free" alcohol. In fact most of the Labuan economy seems to be the duty free stores. From my singular observation, there seems not to be a problem bringing it into Brunei. I suggest that you do a search for Brunei customs requirements.

4. See above. Yes visiting Malaysia is feasible but not an inexpensive affair. 3 years ago when I came in from Labuan it was over $50 for a taxi from the ferry terminal to the area near the Sheraton. One can also take a ferry to KK (Kota Kinabalu) or fly there. It is about a 15 minute flight, but is not cheap for a RT. One can also rent a car and drive to the Malaysian border and walk across or as an alternative take a bus.

5. If you are planning to spend a week in Brunei for anything other than business, I suggest that you rethink your plan. There are limited options for a visitor, although one certainly can rent a car and drive around the country.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: Krysflyer, Plat PriorityClub, AMEX MRewards, AA advantage, Qatar Privilege Club, Hilton VIP Diamond
A Few Brunei Answers

Hi Bryan

1. Yes, Restaurants are open during the day.

2. There is no "more strict" but you should refrain from wearing shorts or sleveless shirts, you know is Ramadan, there is nothing written but you will certainly raise some eyebrows on the streets. Jeans and shirts are acceptable.

3. You can bring 2 bottles of spirits and 12 cans of beers per person. Once you arrive to the airport, ask the customs police officer to give you the yellow paper, which is filled in both sides, one is for you and the other for customs.

4. Day trips to Malaysia are not so easy. If you decide to go by car, the only I will advise to do is a trip to Miri, Sarawak, where you can go and cross one single border. If you plan to go by car to Kota Kinabalu, you need to leave and enter Brunei twice (see google maps) and it is a long journey of more than 6 hours. Better take the plane for ~50 USD roundtrip, but the timming won't allow you a single day visit.

5. If you stay at the empire hotel you will have plenty of things to do. It is a 6 star hotel, with private beach, 4 pools, spa, cinema, bowling, 27-hole Nicklaus golf course, 4 restaurants and a concierge that can help you with your itinerary. If you plan to relax, that's the place.

Recommended restaurant: -I Lotus- perfect to try asian food. Also -Fratini's- in Bandar, near the water village is good for italian food. -Charcoal- for steaks is a must.

If you want to go around, there is no much to do actually, and I would prefer to go to Kota Kinabalu for nicer beaches and places to eat.

I lived there for 3 years so if you need more info let me know, maybe I can put you in contact with my friends there to help you going around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.