Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Asia
Reload this Page >

Advice on flying ex-USA to Bukittinggi, Sumatra?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia

It looks like Minangkabau airport (PDG) is the nearest relevant airfield. Almost everything that lands there originates out of Jakarta. Since I will probably have to book a separate ticket CGK-PDG, what sort of padding should I allow to make a successful transfer? Or would an overnight in Jakarta be prudent?

Air Asia has service ex-KUL; this might be more convenient for the TPAC leg.

I've never been to Indonesia at all, so please tailor your responses accordingly.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jazzop
It looks like Minangkabau airport (PDG) is the nearest relevant airfield. Almost everything that lands there originates out of Jakarta. Since I will probably have to book a separate ticket CGK-PDG, what sort of padding should I allow to make a successful transfer? Or would an overnight in Jakarta be prudent?

Air Asia has service ex-KUL; this might be more convenient for the TPAC leg.

I've never been to Indonesia at all, so please tailor your responses accordingly.

Thanks in advance.
Granted I'm based in KUL, but I find AirAsia pretty convenient for hops to random places in Indonesia.

However, the connection from non-AirAsia flights is awkward as it involves an unnecessarily long bus ride and there's no baggage interlining.

Still, the airport (even the LCCT) is nicer than CGK, and KUL has more options for flights to the rest of the world.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:23 am

Programs: various
Lots of air schedules in Indonesia are good on paper only, so leave yourself flex-time. If you can get a decent flight to KUL, I'd tend to stop there for a rest-up and maybe overnight, then take the Air Asia direct morning flight to PDG. Air Asia separate ticket of course. That would be Plan A. Plan B is to get all the way to Jakarta, (yes, an overnight would be a good idea), then onward next morning to Sumatra, also on separate ticket. Try to avoid Lion Air.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I flew from KUL to PDG and then PDG on to CGK before and either way is fine, but if it's your first time into the region then going via KUL is definitely easier than going via CGK - it can be a bit of an overwhelming airport the first time.

Last edited by GibSpmuh; Aug 3, 2010 at 10:06 pm Reason: Tiger ceased flights to PDG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.