Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel to Tainan (TNN)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Travel to Tainan (TNN)

I plan to visit Tainan, either from SFO or SZX(or CAN).

I am an elite member of both staralliance and skyteam, so flights from these two are preferred.

In the meantime, I realize that I might have to take the train from TPE to TNN because TNN is a very small domestic airport with limited airline services?

thank you
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:52 pm

Tainan's airport only has domestic service, so you can't fly there directly. In fact, IIRC, the only airline service is to Kinmen and Penghu, two other domestic only airports. KHH (Kaohsiung) isn't very far though. China Airlines and Uni Air fly there direct from Shenzen, and Eva, Dragonair, and China Airlines all serve it from Hong Kong, if you're connecting. Don't know how much luggage you have, but assuming it's not too bad, you can take MRT from KHH airport to Kaohsiung Main Station, and it's about an hour to Tainan city center from the Main Station by Tze-Chiang Express trains.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 10:56 pm
Formerly known as aep

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Originally Posted by marcooo
I plan to visit Tainan, either from SFO or SZX(or CAN).

I am an elite member of both staralliance and skyteam, so flights from these two are preferred.

In the meantime, I realize that I might have to take the train from TPE to TNN because TNN is a very small domestic airport with limited airline services?

thank you
If you fly SZK/CAN to TSA you can get a flight to TNN fairly easily - just make sure and book the (higher priced) flights to TSA from the mainland. The high speed rail is really easy to use, though. It's fast and simple... just getting from the HSR station to the city can be a bit weird...
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both.

It seems that Air China only flies to TPE, so I would choose to take a train to TNN
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Air China (CA) does not fly to SFO-TPE, but China Airlines (CI) and EVA does (BR)

For ex-SFO, your choice should be SFO --> TPE then travel to Tao Yuen High Speed Rail Station and jump on the train. It makes no sense to back track to the Domestic Airport for your Tainan feeder flight.

Shuttle for Airport to Train Station
http://www.taoyuanairport.gov.tw/eng...ighspeed_e.jsp

High Speed Train Information
http://www.thsrc.com.tw/en/index.asp

If ex-CAN / ex-SZX (or ex-HKG ? ), try find a flight to KHH / TPE / TSA and then connect via high speed train. KHH is closer but has less flight

For TSA you travel on Taipei Metro to Taipei Rail Station, then High Speed Train. (Note : TSA has no regular flight to TNN)

For KHH you need to travel on Kao Hsiung Subway to Zuoying Station then head on highspeed.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Don't fly to Tainan Airport - would avoid it anyway possible.

Why? First, the flights are fewer and fewer. So you more than likely have to wait for your flight in Taipie or Kaosiung. There is rarely a savings in money or time in taking a flight.

Both highspeed train and TNN are out of the city so both methods involve taxi costs. TNN is closer to city central, while the HSR is close to the eastern part of the city. That been said the cost of a taxi would still be fairily inexpensive.

The flight itself is bumpy and cramped. You will change planes to a small commuter plane.

Unless you are in for the experience, the HSR is so much better option.

Any why is this in the China section?

Last edited by Taiwaned; Jan 24, 2010 at 10:09 am
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by taiwaned

any why is this in the china section?
一国两制
Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:08 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
HK has its own forum. Maybe Taiwan should also.
Then...Tibet.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by moondog
一国两制
That would be 3 systems, since HK's and Taiwan's "systems" are rather different.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:42 am
Community Director Emerita

Since the city in question is not in China, I am going to move this to the Asia forum.

SanDiego1K
Senior Moderator
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:24 am

I flew TSA-MKG-TNN in September, it wasn't much more than taking the train, and I could have stopped in MKG if I wanted. It was a combination of airlines purchased only through their Chinese-only homepages.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.