Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Philippines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Philippines

I've just decided to go to the Philippines for two weeks (plane tickets are cheaper to here than Taiwan!).

Any suggestions on where I should go or things I should be aware of as a solo female? I am thinking of just going to Manila and Boracay but am vague on the details. Any tips would be appreciated!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
What are your interests. Manila is not the most tourist friendly city as far as tourist attractions go - there just aren't that many. But there are a few, which I am sure you have googled already.

Manila is not the safest place in the world, but it isn't totally unsafe either - just take the usual precautions you would in any major city in Asia (outside of HKG and SIN). Additionally, don't wear jewelery or carry your bag carelessly as I have been told by several people that petty crime increased after the floods on the lead up to Christmas - nothing more than opportunistic, but just be a little extra careful.

Boracay is great if you want to get away to a nice beach (thanks for the reminder to book my next holiday in a month or so!). SEAIR is the only airline that flies from MNL to Caticlan (a 10min boat ride from Boracay). Other airlines now fly to Kalibo which is a 100min van ride to the boat, then 10min by boat to Boracay. This is because of the length of the runway at Caticlan (it was recently downgraded). It is more expensive to fly to Caticlan, but there is the extra cost of the van ride from Kalibo (P1,000 each way?).

There are plenty of places to stay in Boracay, no matter your budget. Check out tripadvisor.com for something in your price range. There is plenty of cheap food and drink available on the island (along with a supermarket and ATM). Take a good book or two and enjoy the clear water and awesome beach.

Depending on your budget and interests, Cebu can be an okay city to visit. There are some day tours from Manila, including the Taal Volcano (extinct) tour if that is what you fancy.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by Crocodile
Taal Volcano (extinct) tour if that is what you fancy.
Er, no - very much still active.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 2:16 pm

You can also visit Cebu then go to malapascua island to the north. Malaspascua Island having white sand beaches but less expensive than boracay.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:44 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're going to visit Manila, the best place to stay is an area called Makati. There are a lot of alternatives in various price ranges there. Avoid the Mandarin Oriental even if it is unduly cheap, the location is not so good and the hotel needs work. Top of the line are the Shangri-La Makati (not the other locations) and the Peninsula -- if you shop around you'll find them cheaper than the same brands in other places.

There are bright yellow metered taxis just outside both terminals, it will cost you less than US$8 to take one to your Makati hotel. Make sure you get some PHP at the airport before getting in one, there are ATM machines but their location is a bit obscure, keep asking.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 3:35 pm

If you don't mind can I ask where you found reasonable airfare prices?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:30 pm

Makati is fine for a business traveller (infact I would strongly recommend it), but it is not the best place for someone looking to visit Manila as an adventureous tourist. The Shangri-la is overpriced and I suspect not an option for someone with any sort of a reasonable budget. The MO is only five minute walk from the Peninsula and is ok, but I agree, it is not the best in Manila.

There are plenty of great places to stay down near Roxas Bld down by the bay in the Malate area. They are more "local", but a much better experience than Makati - with many backpacker places are around the Malate area. It has a pretty good bar scene also (as backpackers tend to do).
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Everymamizdream
If you don't mind can I ask where you found reasonable airfare prices?
Where are you flying from? If from HKG or SIN, Cebu Pacific has reasonable fares.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I lived in Manila for a number of years, still like getting back there for work, and think Filipinos are great people, but I don't think I'd recommend visiting Manila. It's just not as tourist-friendly or walking-friendly as even other large Asian cities, due to the heat, humidity, pollution, lousy state of the sidewalks in some parts of town, etc. And while Manila has a variety of good foreign restaurants, Philippine cuisine is not one of the greatest in the world, with a few exceptions such as pangga (if I'm remembering the spelling correctly), which is the delicious parts of tuna cheeks that you dip in a combination of lime, soy sauce, vinegar and chili.

Having said that, if you do go to Manila an exception to this rule include strolling along Roxas Blvd. (which is by Manila Bay) and catching sunsets from around there. The old, classic Manila Hotel is at one end of it and might be worth a visit. And an old, historic area of town, Intramuros, also could be worth checking out. The combination of these things might be worth a day, but you might be better off just bypassing Manila and getting to a beach.

I'm afraid my info is probably out of date regarding where to go in the country, though Boracay or some other beach would be very nice. And if you want to go to another place, the rice terraces up near Banauwe (which I'm sure I'm spelling wrong) could be worth a visit, though being up north they're in the opposite direction from Boracay and other good beaches.

If you're a seasoned traveler you should be able to manage there fine, but one thing to be aware of is the possibility of taxi rip-offs (not at all unique to the Philipines, of course). Good to get an estimate from your hotel or someone else of how much a trip from A to B should cost.

Another, more serious thing, at least in the past, was the scam of strangers being very friendly (sometimes under the pretext of thinking they'd met you before somewhere), slipping something in your drink to knock you out, then robbing you. Not sure how much this has been going on in recent years.

Having said all that, I get back to the point that Filipinos are wonderful people, always looking for a good laugh. I guess I'd recommend just finding a great beach, be it Boracay or elsewhere, and hanging out there for two weeks.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 1:36 pm

I am coming from New York, JFK. Last year there was a monthly special for Cathay Pacific $680 R/T but this year I can't find anything under $920.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:01 pm

Programs: CO GOLD
The Mall of Asia is pretty spectacular if you're visiting Manila. Pretty bizarre to walk through a shopping mall in the middle of the tropics and see a huge ice skating rink right in the middle of the mall!

The IMAX theater there is pretty unbelievable too, and for about 8 USD you can see a film in a veritable palace of a theater.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Just a quick up update.

So I went to:

Manila: loved it. Had a really good time, went to the feast of the black nazarene and met tons of people, which was really wonderful. So many people speak English that it allowed me to really get involved, which was such a nice treat after China, where I barely got to talk to anyone!

Boracay: was great for a few days, but had too much of a resort-y buzz for me. It was all foreigners and I didn't talk to many locals. But the beaches were lovely and I had a great time swimming every day. Everything was grossly overpriced by Philippines standards, but still affordable.

Kalibo: went here for Ati-Atihan. Had a great time--everyone was dancing in the streets! Not sure if there is anything else worth going here for at other times of year.

Cebu: I didn't get much buzz off of Cebu. It was the only place where I went that I didn't feel very safe, I had a lot of verbal harassment walking down the street in the area that I was staying. Seems to be very few tourist attractions other than SM Mall. I checked out the church of Santo Nino and Magellan's cross and was done with Cebu.

Bohol: I took the ferry and did a day trip around Bohol which I loved. I should have skipped Cebu and spent the time in Bohol.

Overall I LOVED the Philippines. Everyone was so nice and welcoming--I had a really great time, it was one of my favorite places from my 4 months of travels. I would definitely go back, and next time explore more. I wish I could have gone to Palawan as well.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by giblet
Overall I LOVED the Philippines. Everyone was so nice and welcoming--I had a really great time, it was one of my favorite places from my 4 months of travels. I would definitely go back, and next time explore more. I wish I could have gone to Palawan as well.

Good to hear. At least now you know to skip Boracay (over-rated and trying too hard to be Maui-ized). Give Cebu another shot...but next time, stay in Mactan...look into the Hilton and the Shangri-la. Once there, you'll find that Cebu has much more to offer than just another mega-mall.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 4:06 pm

Hi,

I am from Philippines and stays there for about half of the year =) if not travelling for work.

Try to visit Subic next time on a side trip from Manila. Stay at one of the Marina Bay villas for a cheap $100/nyt. Google it and you'll see a bnew villa available for $100. It is also located near the beach with lots of bars to choose (Pier One, Cascades, Cork Room, etc) for fun and music. And the crowds mostly local. Eat local delicacy at Gerrys Grill while relaxing in the beach ( no swimming allowed though near the bars and restos).Proper beaches are about 10 minutes drive away.

It is one of the safest place in Philippines I would say even at night time.

While you are there you can try exploring Mount Pinatubo ( volcano) and go to Grande Island.

It is just a 2 hour drive from Manila. I am from Subic and would gladly give inside info on where to go or stay in Luzon part of the Philippines ( Manila/Subic/Baguio).
Old Feb 22, 2010, 12:04 am

Flights Manila to Caticlan (Boracay)

Originally Posted by Crocodile
What are your interests. Manila is not the most tourist friendly city as far as tourist attractions go - there just aren't that many. But there are a few, which I am sure you have googled already.

Manila is not the safest place in the world, but it isn't totally unsafe either - just take the usual precautions you would in any major city in Asia (outside of HKG and SIN). Additionally, don't wear jewelery or carry your bag carelessly as I have been told by several people that petty crime increased after the floods on the lead up to Christmas - nothing more than opportunistic, but just be a little extra careful.

Boracay is great if you want to get away to a nice beach (thanks for the reminder to book my next holiday in a month or so!). SEAIR is the only airline that flies from MNL to Caticlan (a 10min boat ride from Boracay). Other airlines now fly to Kalibo which is a 100min van ride to the boat, then 10min by boat to Boracay. This is because of the length of the runway at Caticlan (it was recently downgraded). It is more expensive to fly to Caticlan, but there is the extra cost of the van ride from Kalibo (P1,000 each way?).

There are plenty of places to stay in Boracay, no matter your budget. Check out tripadvisor.com for something in your price range. There is plenty of cheap food and drink available on the island (along with a supermarket and ATM). Take a good book or two and enjoy the clear water and awesome beach.

Depending on your budget and interests, Cebu can be an okay city to visit. There are some day tours from Manila, including the Taal Volcano (extinct) tour if that is what you fancy.
Other airlines (Cebu Pacific and I think also Philippine Airlines, Zest Airways, and Air Philippines) are now flying to Caticlan Airport (for Boracay) in addition to SEAIR. Apparently the runway problems have been corrected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.