Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Taiwan

I'll be bringing about 10days supply of Xanax(Alprazolam) and Paxil(Paroxetine) into Taiwan and I was wondering if prior approval was needed? they were prescribed to me by a doctor, i just want to stay legal and not have my prescription medications confiscated
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:10 pm

You're good to go, no problems for personal usage. If you're nervous, get your doc to write a letter to carry.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
It's rare to see "normal" business-type foreigners stopped at TPE. I suppose I must have made 50 or so entries in recent times and never been stopped.

Different story if you are carrying cardboard boxes of commercial goods or you are Vietnamese carrying a ton of dragon fruit...

TPE is the most hassle free airport I've ever used. YMMV.

Welcome to FT, battlep!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

alright thanks man!! whats YMMV??
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:26 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by battlep
whats YMMV??
Your mileage may vary.

I'll go ahead and chip in and basically echo what others have said here. I don't know the specifics about medicines and whatnot but every time I've been through TPE (and many other major airports in Asia), customs is very lax. Unless you look very suspicious, are pushing through a cart with several giant boxes, etc., you'll be waved on through.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
When traveling with meds, always keep them in their original containers and carry a copy of the prescription and/or doctor's letter. Always in carry-on, never checked baggage. That's just general travel practice, not specific to Taiwan.

Xanax and Paxil are both legal in Taiwan when prescribed by a doctor, so there should certainly be no problem whatsoever over a few day's worth. As other posters have said, they very seldom stop anyone who looks remotely like a Western businessman or tourist at TPE customs--you just look straight ahead and walk out--, and even when they do, they are professional and quick.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 12:26 am
Original Poster

well I read up on the taiwanese drug laws and apparently I only need to apply for a "permit" bring in Schedule 1,2 and 3 controlled drugs into Taiwan and Xanax is a schedule 4 drug.

By the way, I am from singapore.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Originally Posted by battlep
well I read up on the taiwanese drug laws and apparently I only need to apply for a "permit" bring in Schedule 1,2 and 3 controlled drugs into Taiwan and Xanax is a schedule 4 drug.

By the way, I am from singapore.
You could call the Taiwan office in Singapore and see what they say.... It looks to me that visitors are technically supposed to declare "medicines" to Taiwan customs when entering the country, but I never heard of permits. This is personal medical use, not importing.

Random googling reveals that the Taiwan government considers Tiger Balm to be a medicine, so I learned something today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.