Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

The Tourist VAT refund does it rally work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Vat Return

At the airport you can recover the 21% of the value paid in concept of the Added Value Tax (VAT), if you have purchased local products for an amount greater than $ 70 (per invoice) in the shops which are members of this scheme (that show in their show window the logo added here).
This process is arranged by GLOBAL REFUND, world leader in tax refund services.

Shops that provide this service display in their windows a Global Refund logo. The tourist customer must request from the sales person the invoice and forms, which comes as a refund check and it has to be completed at the time of the purchase. Before leaving the country theses checks must be presented at customs for validation.

There are many ways of receiving the refund, it can be cashed upon leaving the country or credited to your credit card, also a check can be mailed to your personal address, finally it can also be cashed in any of the tax return offices that the Global Refund company has around the world.

============

The above seem to be the official party line in a nutshell.

Last time I was there I bought a few $100 in leather stuff, thinking "Oh well, $500 is really $400 when I get the refund."

There was some drama at EZE I recall, office not being open or someone, somewhere in the airport needing to stamp some papers or wahtever and I got zippo back.

Is it still a scam, or have they got their act together these days? I had all the correct shop paperwork I might add.

Also super dumb question as packing up bag . . what type of male power outlet pin adaptor do I bring for my laptop? USA type, or something else? (Mine is weird 3 pin oz sadly)

Glen
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
yes VAT return does work. You get the paperwork stamped by the Aduana and present it at the return window. Due to fees the actual amount returned is less than the 21%. I believe they will return to a credit card. We got ours in Pesos.

Electrical plug is Argentinian. It looks like a 2 prong U.S. one with the prongs slanted. I know that both Hilton and SPG properties have loaners.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by opushomes

Electrical plug is Argentinian. It looks like a 2 prong U.S. one with the prongs slanted. I know that both Hilton and SPG properties have loaners.
You mean like this type of thing?

Pretty funny if so, as that is a standard ozzie plug already on my laptop!

Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Yes

Yes, the prongs are the same size as the U.S. plug. It must be a Southern Hemisphere thing.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
You mean like this type of thing?

Pretty funny if so, as that is a standard ozzie plug already on my laptop!

Not to take this further off topic, but those plugs didn't work for me in Mendoza. We ended up resorting to the round prongs that they use in Europe and it worked fine.

Now, back on topic..we didn't buy anything in Argentina that qualified for the VAT refund but when we have in other countries it worked with no problems at all. And as Opushomes mentioned it came straight back to our credit card.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Glen -

Modern electrical outlets are of the dual type. They can accomodate both the flat three flat prongs (slanted for neutral/phase, with a straight ground), and the round two prong (no ground) type.

John
Old Jun 3, 2009, 11:33 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ozstamps

Last time I was there I bought a few $100 in leather stuff, thinking "Oh well, $500 is really $400 when I get the refund."

There was some drama at EZE I recall, office not being open or someone, somewhere in the airport needing to stamp some papers or wahtever and I got zippo back.

Is it still a scam, or have they got their act together these days? I had all the correct shop paperwork I might add.
Glen, the Tax Free program was never a Scam - and it has always worked. You just need to read the instructions and follow the steps as required, Ive never heard anybody that did their homework having any issues. The system in Argentina is identical to those existing in European countries... you buy goods eligible from merchants that participate in the program... you get an official tax invoice and a tax free voucher, you must get a customs stamp, and then you go to the tax free booth and choose how to get your $$$ back. You cannot skip steps... and I do assure you it works.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The line at EZE upstairs at some little booth was about 50 people long. You can look up from check-in an see it winding for ages.

I took one look, and thought fergedabout.

First you go to check in line and then get the idiot security booth with "did you pack this bag yourself" stuff etc. (Has anyone in history ever said "NO"?) Then finally get to agent.

Then the old 4th World standard of ANOTHER separate UA booth to go to so they can laboriously check you paid your precious departure tax.

Why the hell the Argies do not simply INSIST it is included in all tickets leaving the place full stop sure beats me, like other civilised countries seem to do smoothly in 2009. Indeed as most have for a decade. Don't they realise how hicksville all this is to folks who travel a lot? It reflects on the country - badly. In Laos and Zanzibar .. sure, but ARGENTINA?

Too bad if you DO need to pay it as those ATM's in the check in area had zero pesos in them when I arrived, (with no sign to that effect of course so everyone wastes time) and all wording was in Spanish on the ATM's and the signs. Gotta love EZE. Wasted an hour of my time when I arrived after 40 hours on planes from SYD trying to get these peso things. Great welcome trick.

Even in regional airports that have ALREADY slugged you 4 different taxes on your domestic tickets, little bean counters at thier dorky little booths hold you to ransom for another wad of pesos in CASH ONLY to let out of the place. And then another little bean counter wastes time holding you up to check you HAVE paid it. Welcome to Cuba.

So after all this messing about at EZE check in area you are finally free to go upstairs. To face security screenings and all sorts of others things and immigration guys etc.

And a full internal examination for swine flu. (OK I made that up . . that is for ARRIVALS only!)

Unless you allow a TON of time at EZE forget getting your money back I'd say in busy times. Which of course is how Governments like it.

With all the other myriad of things yet to go thru after you line up at the money refund desk do allow time. Latins adore paperwork of EVERY kind I am convinced after dozens of visits there.

If there is a simply, smooth streamlined computerized way to do things, they choose the other way. Every time. They love the complicated systems. 19th Century systems have got to be good right, as they have lasted 100 years?

Yep right.

Anyway .. allow a TON of time if you hope to see your VAT money back was my thought.

Glen
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:09 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Mi Querido Glen... you need to bring your lucky Kangaroo foot/paw next time. We issue many taxfree certs every week and Ive never had complaints from people about the refund process.... looks like you are getting an unlucky break each time...?

Your prose is certainly fun to read but it seems that you do your best to avoid going through the entire process. Whining will not get you your $$$ back!!!!

BTW, Kristina says thanks...
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:00 am

Thumbs down It Doesn't Work...

The local authorities complicate the process so much, and create so many hassles for the tourists that the refund might as well be considered a scam. I speak Spanish with an Argentine accent and I know the local culture and customs well because I have distant relatives there with whom I keep in touch. Because of my local understanding and language skills most people would figure that I would be able to get the refund easily... well, think again...

I've been to Argentina 5 times. Every single time I tried to get the refund, but was unable to because of some sort of complication. Once the office in the airport that dealt with the refunds was closed, another time I hadn’t been given the correct paperwork by the merchant and the last time around a customs agent wanted to see all of the goods in the original package (note that I had already dispatched them in my luggage).

This system is so complicated and full of nuances that it creates a negative propaganda around visiting Argentina. Tourists leave the country with a bad last minute experience that they share with friends and acquaintances (me being one of the people who criticize it). To avert this, local authorities should make the process easier, better train merchants in the program in regards to how to handle the paperwork and give tourists clear instructions regarding how the program works when they are entering the country.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nigbruce
The local authorities complicate the process so much, and create so many hassles for the tourists that the refund might as well be considered a scam. I speak Spanish with an Argentine accent and I know the local culture and customs well because I have distant relatives there with whom I keep in touch. Because of my local understanding and language skills most people would figure that I would be able to get the refund easily... well, think again...

I've been to Argentina 5 times. Every single time I tried to get the refund, but was unable to because of some sort of complication. Once the office in the airport that dealt with the refunds was closed, another time I hadn’t been given the correct paperwork by the merchant and the last time around a customs agent wanted to see all of the goods in the original package (note that I had already dispatched them in my luggage).

This system is so complicated and full of nuances that it creates a negative propaganda around visiting Argentina. Tourists leave the country with a bad last minute experience that they share with friends and acquaintances (me being one of the people who criticize it). To avert this, local authorities should make the process easier, better train merchants in the program in regards to how to handle the paperwork and give tourists clear instructions regarding how the program works when they are entering the country.
Nigbruce, welcome to FT! Sounds like you've had a run of bad luck with this. While there's no excuse for the refund office being closed, it's unfair to blame the system when you dispatched the goods in your checked luggage before getting the forms stamped. You could just as easily have purchased the items for friends in Argentina and left them behind! Proof of exportation is always required. As per the FAQs on the Global Refund website:

Do I always need to validate the export of my goods?

Yes; in order to obtain refund on purchased goods you have to prove your exportation with a customs stamp on your Tax Free cheque.

Show your purchases, receipts and the Tax Free cheque to customs officials before leaving the country, and have your cheque stamped.

When travelling within the EU, show your purchases and documents to customs officials in the last EU country before leaving Europe.

The Global Refund system operates in many countries and the system is no different here. I've had several visiting friends and family members use it to obtain refunds without any problems whatsoever

http://www.globalrefund.com/
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To be honest it's not only EZE that has problems in the VAT refund department. It's something I just don't bother with any more when I travel preferring just to pay cash and get a discount in the store instead.....you don't usually get the full discount but even 10% is worth it just to avoid the hassle when you arrive at the airport.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:49 pm

Amen to what brit & hiddy have posted above... the system is not perfect, but it works and yes - to blame the system for not working when you already dispatched your luggage is simply wrong.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:00 pm

At the Galerias Pacifico the VAT refund booth is upstairs. However, I did not buy anything except food at GP (great food court, though ).

Alfajores do not qualify for a VAT refund, unfortunately.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 3:49 am

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Wow... can u get a refund there with no customs intervention...??!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.