FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Tourist VAT refund does it rally work?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 8:37 am
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
The Tourist VAT refund does it rally work?

Vat Return

At the airport you can recover the 21% of the value paid in concept of the Added Value Tax (VAT), if you have purchased local products for an amount greater than $ 70 (per invoice) in the shops which are members of this scheme (that show in their show window the logo added here).
This process is arranged by GLOBAL REFUND, world leader in tax refund services.

Shops that provide this service display in their windows a Global Refund logo. The tourist customer must request from the sales person the invoice and forms, which comes as a refund check and it has to be completed at the time of the purchase. Before leaving the country theses checks must be presented at customs for validation.

There are many ways of receiving the refund, it can be cashed upon leaving the country or credited to your credit card, also a check can be mailed to your personal address, finally it can also be cashed in any of the tax return offices that the Global Refund company has around the world.

============

The above seem to be the official party line in a nutshell.

Last time I was there I bought a few $100 in leather stuff, thinking "Oh well, $500 is really $400 when I get the refund."

There was some drama at EZE I recall, office not being open or someone, somewhere in the airport needing to stamp some papers or wahtever and I got zippo back.

Is it still a scam, or have they got their act together these days? I had all the correct shop paperwork I might add.

Also super dumb question as packing up bag . . what type of male power outlet pin adaptor do I bring for my laptop? USA type, or something else? (Mine is weird 3 pin oz sadly)

Glen