Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Aerolineas Argentinas - Government to take control?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aerolineas Argentinas - Government to take control?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2008, 12:34 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Question is.... do you have alternatives...? Does LAN offer service at the time of your planned trip...?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:01 pm

Good point

It appears LAN doesn't offer service that day (which I presume is the reason why I bought this on AR in the first place...). So I guess we'll just wait and see.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by carlo
So I guess we'll just wait and see.
Which is, unfortunately, what most people spend hours doing when flying AR looking at the status monitor on a "normal" day.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Learn one Spanish word a day.
Today's word: demorado

Grupo Marsans are saying that if they do not reach an agreement to sell AR, they will inject capital into the company ....
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?...3&high=marsans

Does AR own any of the aircraft they fly to the US/EU? If so, surely they would be seized if the airline becomes nationalized. I presume an agreement also has to be reached with Marsans for regulatory reasons.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 6:59 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I dont think any of the long range aircraft are owned by AR.... all leased. Marsans to inject $$$ into AR...???? ROFLMAO !!!!!!! yeah right..... they will do that on Feb 30th... the La Nacion reporter need to get his sources checked...
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
I wonder how many $ Marsans is valuing goodwill in AR? Surely that should be negative

Isn't it usual to have an independent auditor determine the value of the business. The posturing on both sides is going nowhere ....
Old Nov 11, 2008, 5:45 pm

Trust me.... any auditor that has 2 brain cells will tell you in less than 1 week that the company for sure has negative equity..... we can discuss how much of a hole there is... but negative equity is negative equity.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 5:47 pm

see here for related news on valuation of AR.............

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1068974
Old Nov 19, 2008, 9:02 am

Local press is reporting that compulsory nationalization may after all happen, as the Marsans Group is insisting on its valuations and the Argentine State is saying AR has negative equity, and is insisting on a total transfer of the Airlines to state ownership for a purchase price of AR$1.

Yesterday, the Congress cleared the way for "expropriation", should the Spanish investors not change their position.

Stay tuned.....
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:14 am

"Funny" fares . . .

To flog an almost-dead horse just a bit more . . . .

ALL flights from Buenos Aires to Mendoza are priced at $395 US round trip; yet round trip fares to Santiago, Chile start at $230 US round trip, with a number of good times available at $241 RT (on both AA and LAN).

So, it costs nearly twice as much to take the shorter journey. And, I save $800 in airfares (for my wife and myself) by not taking it at all.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
Hmm. Are you pricing in the international departure tax per ticket that you'd have to pay when leaving EZE? Also, assuming you are a US citizen without a Chile stamp, add another $133 dollars per ticket to SCL, too.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by SacFlyer
To flog an almost-dead horse just a bit more . . . .

ALL flights from Buenos Aires to Mendoza are priced at $395 US round trip; yet round trip fares to Santiago, Chile start at $230 US round trip, with a number of good times available at $241 RT (on both AA and LAN).

So, it costs nearly twice as much to take the shorter journey. And, I save $800 in airfares (for my wife and myself) by not taking it at all.
Have you tried to confirm this with a TA...???
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Have you tried to confirm this with a TA...???
No, and I will when I get to Buenos Aires in January. Thanks for the encouragement (however subtle).
Old Nov 20, 2008, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by DukieDrew
Hmm. Are you pricing in the international departure tax per ticket that you'd have to pay when leaving EZE? Also, assuming you are a US citizen without a Chile stamp, add another $133 dollars per ticket to SCL, too.
Yes, I'm well aware of the fees charged (and to be charged) by Chile, Argentina, the U.S., and other countries.

My only point was the disproportionately high cost of airfares within Argentina in relation to the cost of international fares, and I didn't even mention intra-US fares (e.g., my wife's sister is flying 2000 miles to visit us this Thanksgiving for US $220, including all taxes).
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:03 am

[QUOTE=SoFlyOn;10712757]Learn one Spanish word a day.
Today's word: demorado
QUOTE]

Thanks. A very useful word. In all likelihood, I'll have plenty of opportunities to remember and use it. (approximate translation: delay)

I have to admit, a related idea came into my mind when I saw it -- demoralized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.