ATM Problems in Argentina

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATM Problems in Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by chris13
Are you folks using a Citibank ATM card keyed to a checking account, or a Citibank issued charge card? Might be worth adding one of these for our upcoming trip.

thanks....
I used my card at CITI BANK at Av. Callao at one of the two "new machines" .. no fee charged. The slip also showed my balance after the deposit.
I have a US check account with Citi. My black card shows the following: "Banking Card", "Debit" and "MasterCard" .. Not ATM... I hope that helps.
The screen offered up to ARS 1,000, which I selected.

gnaget:

Thanks for posting this!^
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:58 am

my experience with ATMs in Argentina...

Hi everyone!

I found out about this forum on Monday... after visiting a couple of ATMs here in Rosario.
I'm from Belgium.. but I've been here for a couple of years now.
My story:
last Monday I went to an ATM to take some money from an account I have in Belgium (I must say, it has been a year that I don't use that card, but that's not the issue).
So I went to a Banco Galicia, with Banelco ATMs, nearby... I knew my card works there because last time I tried I did it in the same bank.
I tried several times, in 2 different ATMs, but no way to receive some money... both machines returned something link "su transacción no se puede concretar en este momento" or it simply didn't like my card...

Well, bad luck... so I went to a Banco de la Nación (where I have an account) and tried in their ATMs (Link this time)... I tried to withdraw AR$300 and it worked (had to pay the AR$11 of course... nice way to make some extra $$ Link & Banelco). So, I tried to withdraw AR$700 more (I had in mind the limit of AR$1000)... everything worked fine... I returned home with my AR$1000...

This Wednesday I checked my online banking to see if the AR$11 are really removed from my account (my bank gives me all transaction for free)... and that's where I saw a nice present from Banelco: I found 1 extraction for the AR$700 + taxes, 1 for the AR$300 + taxes, and 3 extractions for AR$300 that I never received (for what I can see on my homebanking, the 3 operations are made in Banco Galicia/Banelco).

So here I am... any suggestions?
I've already informed my bank in Belgium, also went to Banco Galicia and spoke with the "tesorero" (he said there is no money left over in the ATMs - so I think someone made an easy AR$900), also called Banelco but they don't take complaints for foreign cards (nice)...

thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2009, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Welcome chofman!

The error messages from the ATMs can indeed be very confusing. I've gotten the same message when there are been several different problems: blocked card, machine malfunctioning and network problems. So it's not easy to figure out what exactly the problem is.

When you check online, you should be able to see which ATMs were used for the withdrawls. Did the three extra transactions occur at the same ATM as you used? Of were they at the Galicia machines you initially tried? The bank should have a security tape that they can view to see who made the transactions, but I'm not sure how long before the record is erased. I know from talking to my bank in the US, that they can see attempts at withdrawls, even when they were not successful (due to the ATM having no money).

My experience is that with Banco Galicia/Banelco, the maximum transaction amount is AR$990, with a limit of three daily transactions. However, at Banco Francés, I can do three AR$1000 transactions also on the Banelco network. So some things are obviously bank specific. There is an limitation on both LINK and Banelco of a maximum of AR$1000 per transaction (according to the network operators).

See also this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...sage-fees.html

John
Old Dec 17, 2009, 3:28 pm

Hi John!

Thanks for your reply!

I can't find the information from the ATMs in my online banking, but I guess that my bank should be able to provide me with that information (I've already contacted them).

Anyway, I'm 100% sure that the 3 extra transaction happened at the Galicia ATMs because I can see the time in my online banking (3 transactions at 8 PM). At that time I was in banco Galicia.

The transations at Banco Nacion figure at 8.30 PM (same time that is on my receipts from the ATM).

Tomorrow I'll go back to Banco Galicia, to see if they can give me some kind of answer, and to see if they allow me to see the security tapes (if not, I'm thinking about going to the police... I know, not the best idea, but I'm quite angry about this).

Thanks again,

Christophe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.