Reload this Page >

Argentine Wines 101 and Q&A thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Argentine Wines 101 and Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Cabernet Franc take a look and try one you will be suprised

Argentina is much more than Malbec. Take a look at these Cabernet Franc wines and try the Varietal from any Bodega (Winery). Its making for a wonderful experience. Perhaps its a good idea to look for Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah for a change of pace over Malbec as well..

https://twitter.com/VinotecaMRWines

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cqp53zCWgAAZ8b9.jpg:large
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Want to describe the profile of Malbec?

If your seeking some descriptors for Malbec..Here is a short concise primer from the Wines of Argentina..

http://blog.winesofargentina.com/ten...todays-malbec/
Old Nov 17, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
AR Now Dry??

This is from over at the Flyertalk Wet & Dry Airlines forum:

"Another non-Middle Eastern airline (not even remotely ...) which has gone dry on international flights is ... Aerolineas Argentinas (Skyteam member)...
I was really surprised they don't serve alcohol on international routes anymore, not even in the Club cabin!!!"

Gaucho 100K -- can this be true? A bife de chorizo with a glass of Perrier???

Not that I was thinking of flying AR, but...¡por favor!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by spainflyer
This is from over at the Flyertalk Wet & Dry Airlines forum:

"Another non-Middle Eastern airline (not even remotely ...) which has gone dry on international flights is ... Aerolineas Argentinas (Skyteam member)...
I was really surprised they don't serve alcohol on international routes anymore, not even in the Club cabin!!!"

Gaucho 100K -- can this be true? A bife de chorizo with a glass of Perrier???

Not that I was thinking of flying AR, but...¡por favor!
Haven't gone to inspect the thread quoted, but would expect this is true for short haul (including international) but not for long haul. I was a bit surprised on a few flights to/from Rio in what they now ambiguously call "Club Economy" presumably to distinguish from their long haul "Club Condor." For North Americans, the physical seat is basically "Domestic First" on the likes of Delta, American, etc. but the soft product is economy.

Less than ten years ago I thought it delightfully quaint that Aerolineas still offered a Club product even on domestic flights that involved a hot meal served on China and accompanied by a pretty full bar service (or at least a range of wines). I think they are now actually trying to at least pretend to try to operate as a money-making business, and such quaint touches were probably among the first of things they realized have to go if the market doesn't bear the cost.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:28 pm

An interesting article about Catena Zapata's Laura Catena.

https://www.1843magazine.com/feature...s-in-the-andes
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Another fan of the 1843magazine article. A background in chemistry/science won't hurt and would likely help a couple of the commenters.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:02 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Here some new labels for Argentine Wine lovers to consider.... and yes, various of these are not only Malbecs and some even have no Malbec at all !!!!!

Rutini Coleccion Cabernet Franc
DV Catena Malbec Grenache
Escorihuela Gascon Small Productions Syrah
Vinia Los Chocos Cabernet Franc Malbec
Rutini Coleccion Gewurztraminer
Miras Jovem Trousseau Noveau
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:30 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
sorry now just floating around here in the SA threads...just grabbed a bottle of Alpamanta Breva Sav blanc while in BA, waiting for it to be a not rainy day here in SAO to drink it by the pool. Looks magical. Also to go along the same lines, Argentina is more than malbec.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
sorry now just floating around here in the SA threads...just grabbed a bottle of Alpamanta Breva Sav blanc while in BA, waiting for it to be a not rainy day here in SAO to drink it by the pool. Looks magical. Also to go along the same lines, Argentina is more than malbec.
True that, although I've had a few real clunkers amongst those trying something new.

This one, however, which I had last week, was delicious.

http://www.klwines.com/p/i?i=1273459
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:08 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Very true that Argentine Wine is a lot more than "just" Malbec and other big reds. Here is a shortlist of Whites that I suggest folks consider when wanting to venture into something different from Mendoza, Patagonia and Salta.

Mapema Sauvignon Blanc
Encuentro Chardonnay
Aniello Soil Blanc de Noir
Rutini Coleccion Chardonnay
Apartado Gran Corte Blanco
Sylvestra Sauvignon Blanc
Las Perdices Reserva Albarinio
Rutini Coleccion Gewurztraminer
Ciclos Torrontes
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:55 am

An very interesting White from Patagonia is 2015 Matias Riccitelli Old Vines Semillion Patagonia..
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:56 pm

Hello from Montevideo!

Just wanted to publicly express my gratitude for Gaucho100K's incredible hospitality and expertise, both of which he graciously extended to me last week at a private tasting.

I am a total wine neophyte but Alex patiently walked me through the wonderful world of Argentinean vino. A fantastic time was had by myself and my friend, and while I walked out of his place significantly lighter in the wallet I have some spectacular bottles and more than a few great memories to bring back home.

Alex is a wonderful ambassador for his country and his industry. I encourage anyone on FT to get in contact with him if they want to get seriously acquainted with all Argentina has to offer... http://www.argenology.com/

Thanks again, Alex!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the info just contacted them... I will be in Argentina in April. Looking forward to having some wonderful wines and delicious food!

Originally Posted by YYZC2
Hello from Montevideo!

Just wanted to publicly express my gratitude for Gaucho100K's incredible hospitality and expertise, both of which he graciously extended to me last week at a private tasting.

I am a total wine neophyte but Alex patiently walked me through the wonderful world of Argentinean vino. A fantastic time was had by myself and my friend, and while I walked out of his place significantly lighter in the wallet I have some spectacular bottles and more than a few great memories to bring back home.

Alex is a wonderful ambassador for his country and his industry. I encourage anyone on FT to get in contact with him if they want to get seriously acquainted with all Argentina has to offer... http://www.argenology.com/

Thanks again, Alex!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:20 pm

2017 Vintage is Spectacular!!

I Anticipate that the 2017 Vintage will make the Record Books as one of the Best Vintages in the longest of times. Early Tank Samples are sublime!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Catena Zapata Estiba Reservada

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:51 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.