Wiki Posts
Search

Argentine Wines 101 and Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Achaval Ferrer

I've never been their greatest fan (mostly because I think they've priced themselves out of what I'll spend for a wine of that quality - there's better for less) but today, I received a present. A retiring business colleague who is retiring and moving dropped off two cases of lovely wine this afternoon. In the mix are the following:

Finca Altamira 2006
Finca Altamira 2007
Finca Bella Vista 2007

I am assuming all are "drink now" if I wish to, but I'd also appreciate any comments on acceptable "hold" or "drink until" dates. These have been cellared in optimal condition.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm drinking 'DADA' de Finca las Moras Art wine at the moment and for 68 pesos it's fantastic stuff. So much so I went out and bought another six bottles.
Fruity and smoky....just like me.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm drinking 'DADA' de Finca las Moras Art wine at the moment and for 68 pesos it's fantastic stuff. So much so I went out and bought another six bottles.
Just shows how well the "entry level" wines of Argentina have such great QPR! Your a man that knows a good thing when he sees it. Enjoy!
Old May 8, 2017, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Your a man that knows a good thing when he sees it.
Yes especially when it's cheap.

Worth buying and trying in my opinion. I've had worse that cost a lot more. They're charging 108 pesos in L'Anonima for the same stuff. Even at that price I'd buy it. I got mine in a Chinese run supermarket.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Yes especially when it's cheap.

Worth buying and trying in my opinion. I've had worse that cost a lot more. They're charging 108 pesos in L'Anonima for the same stuff. Even at that price I'd buy it. I got mine in a Chinese run supermarket.
Your not the only one.. See below from Decanter:

http://www.decanter.com/argentina-2014-coverage/finca-las-moras-shaking-the-wine-world-s-status-quo-329/
Old May 8, 2017, 5:50 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Hiddy-- if you have a half-decent place where you can store wines, and I'm talking somewhere dark, away from the sun and other direct heat sources and a decent humidity - nothing temperature controlled or similar fancy setting - I strongly suggest you consider stocking up on this label that you are enjoying. Labels in that price point are prone to variability from batch to batch (or vintage to vintage, if such a thing exists for certain labels) and most of these young wines also benefit from a little time in the bottle as they tend to be released to market rather quickly. I don't know what "burn rate" you have with you red wines, but you should perhaps consider purchasing a strategic stockpile and laying it down.... the label you mention is certainly not a 10+ year hold, but its also not something you absolutely must drink in the next 18-24 months either....
Old May 8, 2017, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Your not the only one.. See below from Decanter:

http://www.decanter.com/argentina-20...tatus-quo-329/
^

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Hiddy-- if you have a half-decent place where you can store wines, and I'm talking somewhere dark, away from the sun and other direct heat sources and a decent humidity - nothing temperature controlled or similar fancy setting - I strongly suggest you consider stocking up on this label that you are enjoying. Labels in that price point are prone to variability from batch to batch (or vintage to vintage, if such a thing exists for certain labels) and most of these young wines also benefit from a little time in the bottle as they tend to be released to market rather quickly. I don't know what "burn rate" you have with you red wines, but you should perhaps consider purchasing a strategic stockpile and laying it down.... the label you mention is certainly not a 10+ year hold, but its also not something you absolutely must drink in the next 18-24 months either....
Good advice....I'll see if the wife agrees with you.

Her dad was a Moras so that might help.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:26 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Hiddy - which Dada are you drinking ? 1.2 or 3?
Old May 9, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn
Hiddy - which Dada are you drinking ? 1.2 or 3?
The first one was 2 however they didn't have six of them left so I bought a couple of bottles of 3. Although they're different grapes both tasted the same to me to be honest.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:06 am

Tim Atkin Top 100

In my opinion Tim provides wonderful coverage on Argentine Wine. He knows the regions and winemakers and spends allot of time in Mendoza. Here is this years Top 100 Argentine Wines posted in La Nation:

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/2020680-l...critico-ingles

Last edited by Flying Machine; May 9, 2017 at 8:26 am
Old May 9, 2017, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The first one was 2 however they didn't have six of them left so I bought a couple of bottles of 3. Although they're different grapes both tasted the same to me to be honest.
Hiddy.... you are slowly (but surely) becoming a Wine High Roller !!!!!!!

Before you know it, you will be Cellaring CZ Estiba Reservada Magnums in that Estancia Basement Cellar of yours.....
Old May 9, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Yes, all of these are already sailing their PDP.... but, there is no rush to consume them. While they are not the longest living Argentine Malbecs, juice of this quality has a lifespan of at least 15 years.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Achaval Ferrer
Finca Altamira 2006
Finca Altamira 2007
Finca Bella Vista 2007

I am assuming all are "drink now" if I wish to, but I'd also appreciate any comments on acceptable "hold" or "drink until" dates. These have been cellared in optimal condition.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Hiddy.... you are slowly (but surely) becoming a Wine High Roller !!!!!!!

Before you know it, you will be Cellaring CZ Estiba Reservada Magnums in that Estancia Basement Cellar of yours.....
Steady on...no cellar here, I keep my wine under the bed!!
Old May 10, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Steady on...no cellar here, I keep my wine under the bed!!
Dark place , low humidity?
Old May 29, 2017, 8:06 pm

Arg Wine Bloggers

Wanted to share the results of the competition that took place this weekend b y the Arg Wine Bloiggers (Great group of individuals)

Lots of Wines that are accessible for all to purchase, and at all price points. Read on:

http://www.logiapetitverdot.com.ar/2...dos-completos/

Last edited by Flying Machine; May 29, 2017 at 11:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.