Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Argentine Wines 101 and Q&A thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:48 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
2009 is now a back vintage for the Estiba Reservada, as the 2010 vintage was released in late January of this year. Both 2009 and 2010 are small production years, with a bulk of the production being exported to China. Prices for the Estiba Reservada have remained very firm over the past few vintages, and I expect this trend to continue.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
interesting Perspective on Asia and Argentina Wine

Thought I would share this article on Asia and Argentine Wine. I have noticed that the Category is losing ground Worldwide. Thus the major Marketing of the Wines of Argentina of late. Read on:

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2017/04/outside-competition-eating-up-argentinas-market-share/
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Asean is a specific hole inside Asia where Argentine Wine representation is especially weak. Hong Kong and mainland China, perhaps Japan for a small group of Producers, is where Argentina has historically invested its marketing efforts.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:50 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

A minor clarification, if I may....

Imperfecto is the creation of Daniel Pi - he is the Chief Winemaker at the Trapiche Group of Bodegas, but is being allowed to also make his "own" Wines under the Tres Catorce "umbrella".

Laura Catena has various things going aside from the Catena Zapata Labels....

As far as new concoctions, Cabernet Franc is experiencing a boom, as well as wines made from "Criolla" grapes. Pinot Noir is another grape that is growing more and more into the Argentine Radar Screen..... and of course, Bubbles are also venturing out into new territories. Alma 4 makes a stunning Viognier Sparkler that is excellent.

Originally Posted by cyborg
Have there been any recent attempts by local winemakers to break away and produce new concoctions? I'm thinking of Laura Catena, the magician who did Imperfecto and some of the JV folks...

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Have there been any recent attempts by local winemakers to break away and produce new concoctions? I'm thinking of Laura Catena, the magician who did Imperfecto and some of the JV folks...

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Cyborg, Keep a keen eye on these folks. I have either imported, tasted with one on one, or met the majority here (and one I made a mistake and passed on) to me this is what Argentina is about these days.. Read on:

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2015/03/top-10-argentine-winemakers-to-watch/
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing the article. Cant say I agree with various of the selections, and some names are only mentioned when they should have been (in my opinion) highlighted as some of the top winemakers... but that's what makes wines so interesting.

Also, I think its easier for consumers to follow brand names and labels - rather than winemakers. Not that its wrong to follow winemakers, but one must remember that winemakers are sometimes only consultants, and even if they are full time staff - they do come & go.....

Some names that didnt make it into the article that I would have listed include.....

- Gabriela Celeste
- Federico Benegas Lynch
- Flavia Manterola
- Raul Davalos
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
The article from Drinks Business was published in March 2015
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn
Exactly..
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:25 pm

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:49 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old May 2, 2017, 9:24 pm

I managed to collect Catena Zapata Estiba Reservada 2000-2008 on a variety trips to BA over the years and now looking to round out the last decade with a bottle of 2009. Is this vintage available around town?

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Cyborg, while a little pricey (5100 ARS) this shop has the 09 that your seeking..

http://www.ozonodrinks.com.ar/

By the way they do really good tastings and are dialed in with many winemakers.. Best of luck in your search..

Last edited by Flying Machine; May 2, 2017 at 9:36 pm
Old May 3, 2017, 8:18 am
Original Poster

The Current Vintage of the Catena Zapata Estiba Reservada is 2010.

Its an anniversary Edition of this wine - its vintage number 20 of a label that was first made for commercial distribution in 1990.
Old May 3, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malagajohn
While somewhat dated, the information there is still quite relevant. As I said before, I dont agree 100% with all its list but there are various names there that certainly deserve the credit.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

One of my favorite (still relatively new) player in the industry is Rodrigo Reina Rutini and his Vinia Los Chocos. Its a small producer making small batches of wines, mostly around Malbec, Cabernet Franc and Pinot Noir. He has other things in the works... Ive been stocking up (and cellaring) quite a bit of his first couple of vintages as I expect him to make a lot more noise over the nest couple of vintages.....
Old May 5, 2017, 2:34 pm

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 3:48 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.