Side Trip from EZE -- Iguazu or Mendoza

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass

My boyfriend and I are discussing a trip to Argentina next March. Most of the trip would be in Buenos Aires with the possibility of a two day side trip to either Iguazu or Mendoza.

I was curious to people's thoughts on one or the other -- in terms of getting there, what to do (we are wine buffs which is definitely more suited towards Mendoza, but the falls are a great attraction as well), etc.

Any thoughts, comments are appreciated.

Greg
Old Sep 4, 2006, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Have you been to either before? Having been to both myself, I would definitely say Iguazu (assuming the falls are back up and running at a decent volume). There are good flight options to each, and I know that newcomers LAN Argentina flys to IGR, but not sure about Mendoza. Have you also considered Salta as an option?
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by olimaspecto
Have you been to either before? Having been to both myself, I would definitely say Iguazu (assuming the falls are back up and running at a decent volume). There are good flight options to each, and I know that newcomers LAN Argentina flys to IGR, but not sure about Mendoza. Have you also considered Salta as an option?
Neither of us have ever been to South America before... Iguazu's interest is the natural beauty while Mendoza is the wine. I've read a little bit about Salta but not very much.

Greg
Old Sep 4, 2006, 8:19 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
I went to Argentina for my first time this Jan/Feb and took a side trip to Iguazu. I loved it. I am perhaps in a different demo than you (I stayed in a hostel and took public transit my entire trip), but I loved walking around the little town of Puerto Iguazu. I am fluent in Spanish so perhaps that helped also, but my favorite part of Iguazu was probably walking around the little town. The falls were of course marvelous.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hi ,

I have been to the Iguazu falls and saw them from both the Argentine and Brazilian side.

To be honest I had never heard about them until my Argentine wife suggested we go and was not prepared for the truly magnificient sight that beheld me, I was amazed and gobsmacked at how beautiful and majestic they were and could not believe that they were so unknown to us here in Europe as they are definately ten times better than the better known Niagra.

You can also take a raft trip on the river below the falls which is very exciting and good for taking pictures and the walkways out to some of the falls are super as well but not for the fainthearted!! The jungle trip in the surrounding countryside is very good to see the wildlife,monkeys,birds, etc.
Also a side trip to the Itaipu dam is also very interesting. ^
Old Sep 5, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
I've not been to Mendosa, but I have been to Iguazu. I just can't think of a more incredible place that takes your breath away like few things do. Book a couple of nights at the Sheraton there, and order some great Argentine malbec to get your wine fix.

Since you're already going to be in Buenos Aires, then long before then introduce yourself to Flytertalker Guaucho100K and his wine shop. I'm sure that will take care of your wine fix.

(granted, not a fair comparison, since I've not been to Mend., but I just can't imagine how it could "top" Iguazu...YMMV...)
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:44 am

Programs: UA Star Gold (lifetime)
Originally Posted by skye1
I've not been to Mendosa, but I have been to Iguazu. I just can't think of a more incredible place that takes your breath away like few things do. Book a couple of nights at the Sheraton there, and order some great Argentine malbec to get your wine fix.

Since you're already going to be in Buenos Aires, then long before then introduce yourself to Flytertalker Guaucho100K and his wine shop. I'm sure that will take care of your wine fix.

(granted, not a fair comparison, since I've not been to Mend., but I just can't imagine how it could "top" Iguazu...YMMV...)

I've been to both. I would say that 2 days for Mendoza is really not enoughtime. Also touring a winery as opossed to walking around one of the marvels of nature can not be compared. Wine you can taste in Bs As as previously mentioned.

Iquazu can not be purchased. Don't forget to check out both views.

Have a great time (you will) Bs As is truly one THE wonderful cities.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I dis a day trip to Iguazu last January. Early morning flight, returning in the evening. If you go, be sure to take the boat trip that goes out to the bottom. It is a sight worth seeing. If you decide to stay overnight, stay at the Sheraton.
Old Sep 7, 2006, 4:55 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
I have some photos from my trip if you'd like to view them.

http://scotthalver.com/ARyUYFotos/ARyUYFotos.html
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:39 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
2 days may still be enough to do Mendoza... depending on how crammed a schedule you are willing to put up with and (of course) how deeply into wine country you want to go. Despite the fact Im a wine person, if you have only 2 days for the side trip I would suggest you go to Iguazu.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:40 am

Programs: UA-1P SPG-G PC-PLT
Just got back from a trip to Argentina, in which we went to EZE, IGR, and MDZ, and then crossed the Andes and flew out of SCL. I would advise the OP to attempt a visit to both Iguazu and Mendoza. As others have mentioned, the falls are a natural wonder, but the Andes are pretty spectacular too. If anything, I would suggest reducing your time in BA. Unless you just love museums and crowds, I felt that Iguazu and Mendoza had more unique offerings than BA.

Also, when buying domestic tickets in Argentina on LAN or Aerolineas Argentinas, buy through the argentininan site (.ar). This has been discussed in the South American ff programs forum, but the .ar site has lower fares than the site for foreigners. Supposedly, the fares are only for Argentina residents, but airline employees never seem to check or care, especially now that with web check-in.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hmm, just tried some searches from BA to Iguazu and it came to like 1600 pesos on Aerolineas for an early morning and then evening return.

On LAN, I believe it was 610 pesos round trip but they displayed the price with dollar signs while at the bottom saying "valores in pesos argentinos"?

If that's the case, it's a big difference, although Aerolineas seems to have more frequent flights during the day so the 1-day trip is viable but with LAN, you would likely have to stay over.

So is Iguazu worth $500-600 for flights and lodging? Considering my week apartment rental in BA is under $250?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by wco81
Hmm, just tried some searches from BA to Iguazu and it came to like 1600 pesos on Aerolineas for an early morning and then evening return.

On LAN, I believe it was 610 pesos round trip but they displayed the price with dollar signs while at the bottom saying "valores in pesos argentinos"?

If that's the case, it's a big difference, although Aerolineas seems to have more frequent flights during the day so the 1-day trip is viable but with LAN, you would likely have to stay over.

So is Iguazu worth $500-600 for flights and lodging? Considering my week apartment rental in BA is under $250?
I have not been to Mendoza either, but Iguazu Falls is one of the most magnificent wonders of the world. I would encourage anyone in the area not to miss them.

You can get flights for around $200, however, as I understand it, the ticket must be purchased from within Argentina. There is a travel agent recommended by Gaucho100K (and me) in the Cow Do thread in the Community Forum. He will be happy to make any arrangements for airfare (I paid $199 (U.S.) a few weeks ago).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...&highlight=Cow (post 174)
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:21 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
For folks that are serious about wine, by all means go to Mendoza. If wine is not something that makes you tick, then I would suggest Iguazu is the place to go to first.

TA and other recommendations aside, I will point out (once again) that while you may be able to get better deals buying airfares that are only for residents of Argentina, please be aware that you are rolling the dice. While its true that enforcement of resident only fares is random (and seems to mostly lax), if you get unlucky at one of your check-in points you may experience some level of inconvenience. Im sorry if this is raining on someone parade, but its always good to know all the facts before making a decision on what to plan & purchase.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 9:44 am

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
For folks that are serious about wine, by all means go to Mendoza. If wine is not something that makes you tick, then I would suggest Iguazu is the place to go to first.

TA and other recommendations aside, I will point out (once again) that while you may be able to get better deals buying airfares that are only for residents of Argentina, please be aware that you are rolling the dice. While its true that enforcement of resident only fares is random (and seems to mostly lax), if you get unlucky at one of your check-in points you may experience some level of inconvenience. Im sorry if this is raining on someone parade, but its always good to know all the facts before making a decision on what to plan & purchase.
Perhaps this is not the place for such a discussion, but I have purchased two such tickets from Argentine travel agents - one of whom you recommended, as you know. Neither has mentioned that the fares are for residents of Argentina. This would suggest that the "enforcement" is indeed lax. I didn't realize the fares were for Argentine residents only, I just thought they had to be purchased in Argentina, even though you mention that you have pointed this out previously (and I uaually hang on your every word ).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.