Dengue Fever in Argentina

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2024, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

Seems serious . Any recent visitors have opinions. My buddy is going next week and I’m going next December. He is thinking of cancelling.

How does this compare to malaria in Thailand? Sounds significantly more risky.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/south-america-dengue-spike-prompts-vaccination-drive-bug-spray-runs-out-2024-01-25/

https://ar.usembassy.gov/health-alert-u-s-embassy-buenos-aires-february-29-2024/#:~:text=This%20CDC%20designation%20indicates%20th at,aegypti%20or%20Ae.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 3:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Don’t get me wrong – dengue is not fun, but it is less risky than malaria if it’s the first time you contract it, as it’s hardly ever fatal. If you had it once, then getting the vaccine would be necessary.

I wouldn’t worry about it in the city as the local government fumigates parks, etc. Argentinian repellents are also usually stronger than those in Europe and the US – probably bad for the environment but good for people given the circumstances.
beachfan likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I just bought a bunch of OFF for my upcoming trip. This year's mosquitoes have been the worst I've ever encountered. Fortunately, the ones in CABA mostly seem to be spreading equine encephalitis, not dengue. The welts are particularly special, because these mosquitoes need to get their little needles through horse skin.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The wife and I had our Denge vaccinatins last week and we'll get the booster in 3 monts time. I suspect I wouldn't have bothered had my wife not organised it. However I would never advise someone not to get vaccinated. The nurse who came to our house was saying Equine Encephalitis cases have also been on the rise and is far more dangerous especially for those who are around horses a lot.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 9:53 am

I am travelling down to BA in a few weeks. Are the mosquitoes bad in the city ? I may go to Tigre and a boat ride to Colonia but not out on the pampas and such. Anything to worry about ?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by anc305
I am travelling down to BA in a few weeks. Are the mosquitoes bad in the city ? I may go to Tigre and a boat ride to Colonia but not out on the pampas and such. Anything to worry about ?
Bring a good DEET or similarly-effective repellent. I've not been since January, but there was another recent outbreak - I've been there every summer since 2007 or thereabouts (save a year of COVID) and have never seen anything like it. If things are bad in the city, they'll be worse in Tigre. Fortunately for the Uruguayos, the mosquitoes can't afford to live over there, at least not in Colonia. On the same day we were eaten alive on the evening walk from the Colonia Express terminal back home, we witnessed nary a a mosquito in Colonia.
TravellingChris likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:34 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
It was windy last night in most of the province. We woke up to 12c.

No mosquitoes today. Were they blown away or are they recuperating?
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The wife and I had our Denge vaccinatins last week and we'll get the booster in 3 monts time. I suspect I wouldn't have bothered had my wife not organised it. However I would never advise someone not to get vaccinated. The nurse who came to our house was saying Equine Encephalitis cases have also been on the rise and is far more dangerous especially for those who are around horses a lot.
Dengue vaccine is not available for adults over 16 in US
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by malagajohn
It was windy last night in most of the province. We woke up to 12c.

No mosquitoes today. Were they blown away or are they recuperating?
There was a guy on the telly tonight saying they'll be around for a few months yet.
I was picking grapes in the garden this afternoon. Sprayed myself with OFF yet still got bitten twice. Once by a mosquito and the other by a flippin' ant.
Gaucho100K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.