Wiki Posts
Search

Flying to Buenos Aires

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2024, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates
Flying to Buenos Aires

I'm a newcomer to this forum, although I've watched it for years. In the past (though to about 2012) I just booked and flew what I needed for work-tourism, without considering much miles, cards, lounges, etc.
Now I have a new challenge.
Background
I'm booking an Antarctic cruise starting with overnight in Buenos Aries on 25 Nov. 2024, and returning 12 Dec. 2024. This included a charter to-from Ushuaia.
I also have a new almost empty Miles & More card.
I've never been to South America nor ever taken a cruise.
I need to leave Luxembourg and arrive in Buenos Aries before 25 Nov, and then get back after 12 Dec.
But around that fixed period I have plenty of time to enjoy the trip and add some additional tourism.
I will travel business class, and want to take my time and enjoy the total experience.
So my questions.
What is the best business class flight from Europe to Buenos Aries?
I can fly to a hub, or drive (with overnight airport hotel). The long-haul can start in Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, Zurich, or even London.
I could consider a vacation stop-over before-after the long-haul, and that could be anywhere in the world, e.g. London, Dubai, Singapore, etc.
I would like to build miles on a card, with my new Miles & More, or I could open another card if more useful.
I might even consider taking out a new debit-credit card for the trip if advantageous.
I expect to travel quite a lot in the next few years (recently widowed) so I want to make the right decisions now.

I'm out of my comfort zone, and I will certainly have more questions in the future, but picking my long-haul carrier is the most pressing.
Also when should I book? Best seats?, etc.
Many thanks, Geoff
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:29 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
You may want to repost this one in the Argentina section which is a separate section.

In any case, the best business class to Argentina from Europe is very much a personal decision.

I prefer Iberia from Madrid, although others may find the service a little different from what they like.

Iberia have two flights per day and some days a third service is added.

You also have Lufthansa , KLM , Air France and ITA

Not sure what allows you to connect easily ex LUX.

BA is flying via Rio de Janeiro at the moment - this may go back to a direct service if volumes recover.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Hi malagajohn
Firstly I didn't see the section on Argentina, but how do I move my post to that topic grouping?
Secondly, the Madrid option is interesting, because I winter near Algeciras.
So it could be a great option, but what makes business in Iberia so special?
Old Feb 29, 2024, 3:57 am

I find the Iberia hard product on the A350S to be among the best in Europe.

I always find the food and wine selection to be very good as well.

Some peopel say that service is mixed but I find that the service level is good and has actually improved over the last couple of years.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Check SeatGuru to see some airplane seat configuration for your dates, some are 2 - 2 - 2 while others are 1 - 2 - 1. Iberia is not bad, BA is the worst, then you have Air Europe which is good as long is 789, ITA too, then you have AF and KLM, which depend of the aircraft.

Add an extra day before your arrival, Atlas Cruises use charters flights, so they won't cancel which is great. Keep in mind Buenos Aires is a wonderful city (well, I was born there), but since you are in Ushuahia, you can expend an extra day there, then do Calafate (Big Ice or Mini Trekking on a Glacier is a must, but needs to be under 65yo).
Old Feb 29, 2024, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeoffSmith
<snip>
So my questions.
What is the best business class flight from Europe to Buenos Aries?
I can fly to a hub, or drive (with overnight airport hotel). The long-haul can start in Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris, Brussels, Zurich, or even London.
I could consider a vacation stop-over before-after the long-haul, and that could be anywhere in the world, e.g. London, Dubai, Singapore, etc.
I would like to build miles on a card, with my new Miles & More, or I could open another card if more useful.
I might even consider taking out a new debit-credit card for the trip if advantageous.
I expect to travel quite a lot in the next few years (recently widowed) so I want to make the right decisions now.

I'm out of my comfort zone, and I will certainly have more questions in the future, but picking my long-haul carrier is the most pressing.
Also when should I book? Best seats?, etc
As above the criteria for "best business class" is very subjective. Cost, f&b, seat, schedule, non stop flights, freq flyer program benefits & earning and more

How tied to Star alliance ~ LH miles & more are you? Note you have emirates in your profile.

BA airports in wikipedia list airline routes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minist...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroparque_Jorge_Newbery
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=c%3Ablu...=bm&PW=3&DU=mi
SIN is a big diversion. Less so for DXB & USA.

BA is a great city. Well worth spending a few days before your cruise. Even just arriving the day before your cruse start is a risk from delayed flights.

Seat Guru is dead- ignore it. Thread -->Is SeatGuru defunct?
https://www.aerolopa.com/ created by our very own @Prospero (from BA forum)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 29, 2024 at 10:53 am
Old Mar 1, 2024, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
In case it matters to the original poster... LH flies a 747 to EZE, and those are a rare sight these days so if flying on one of those is a bucket-list item for you, now might be the time.
2RETIREDTRAVELERS likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Made some decisions about my trip to Buenos Aires.
Confirmed my cruise to the Antarctic in Nov-Dec. 2024.
Decided to have two full free days before the cruise and three full free days after the cruise.
So I will have 5 full days to visit BA.

Concerning flight, I decided on business class with Lufthansa through Frankfurt, which was nearly 900€ less than Air France through Paris.
It was also possible for me to fly direct from Madrid to BA, with Iberia, but that would have cost 1500€ more.

Concerning hotels, correct me I'm wrong, but it is probably better to wait till after the summer to book hotels in BA.

Have read up on trips to the Antarctic in this forum, and found much useful information.

Looking forward to my trip. First time in South America and first cruise.

Any advice gratefully received.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:31 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Great choice with LH to EZE... it is one of the best options for long-haul into Buenos Aires. Ive just replied to your PM - will continue discussion via email.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:39 pm

I assume your cruise is leaving from Ushuaia, is that correct?

You would probably want to start searChing for flights to USH - Flights leave from both EZE and AEP.

Bear in mind its over 4 hours flying time - And you want to be there the day before the cruise.

Probably best to think of BA sightseeing after your Antarctic expedition.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by malagajohn
I assume your cruise is leaving from Ushuaia, is that correct?

You would probably want to start searChing for flights to USH - Flights leave from both EZE and AEP.

Bear in mind its over 4 hours flying time - And you want to be there the day before the cruise.

Probably best to think of BA sightseeing after your Antarctic expedition.
His Cruise include an overnight stay in BsAs and a charter to USH (FlyBondi), probably Atlas Ocean Voyages which is one of the couple cruises lines that offer that combo.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Fedechat, you are right, my Antarctic trip includes an overnight in BA and a charter to USH.
But I've booked LH to EZE through FRA to arrive two full days before, and to leave 3 full days after the cruise.
So I'm safe if there are delays, and I should have five full days to relax and visit the city.
I know there are variations in what is on offer in all the classes, but it all came down to connecting to my home city and cost.
The best I could find for a full business flex was around 3.5k€ with LH, whereas AF through CDG cost around 900€ more.
Through AMS with KLM cost the same as for AF.
And it all went on my Miles & More.
A direct flight from MAD with IB cost over 5k€.
A direct flight from LDN would have cost (maybe) around 2.9k€, but I would have needed a connecting flight from home and an overnight stay at the airport.
I know flying on a A350 would have been a bit more comfortable than on an older 747.
But the stopover in CDG and AMS were 2 hours or less, whereas in FRA it's 2:35.
I'm going to wait before booking hotels.
I lived for many years in Italy, and have spent winters in Spain since 2007, so I'm really interested to see the difference in lifestyles, etc.
Really looking forward to my first cruise and first time on South America.
I'm wondering it it will be a once-in-a-lifetime for both.
People keep telling that when you hit 70 you should take every day as a gift.
No really change, every day is a gift, but now I'm looking to do new things (no bucket list, just where next?).
Cheers
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.