Wiki Posts
Search

Rumours of free flights for foreigners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The cost of flying 100,000 passengers from core Mercosur+Chile to Argentina is a fraction of what it would cost to fly 100,000 passengers from the EU, Canada and the US to Argentina. And maybe the neighborhood tourists are more likely to populate Argentine accommodations in a different pattern than the EUropean and North American tourists.
Well, last time some borders were open, Brazil seemed to populate the Argentine accommodations in a pattern full of COVID.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 5:26 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The average spend of a US and EU tourist is a lot higher than that of a MercoSur visitor.... so, any strategy that makes sense should try to get Europeans and North American Tourists back as quickly as possible. Also, vaccination rates from N America and the EU are better than Brazilian rates..... for me its a no-brainer. Having said that, free airline tickets is not the way to go, a more aggressive tax refund or voucher when you land type thing would IMO be more the way to go.
GUWonder and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
The average spend of a US and EU tourist is a lot higher than that of a MercoSur visitor.... so, any strategy that makes sense should try to get Europeans and North American Tourists back as quickly as possible. Also, vaccination rates from N America and the EU are better than Brazilian rates..... for me its a no-brainer. Having said that, free airline tickets is not the way to go, a more aggressive tax refund or voucher when you land type thing would IMO be more the way to go.
Isn’t this to be a sort of assistance package for some Argentine government-preferred carrier/carriers that would be flying the core MercoSur+Chile regional routes?

The free regional air travel thing seems to be at least a bit of a misuse of resources, but Argentina wouldn’t be Argentina without continuing to add to the history of that.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 5:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Of the c. 900 hotels in Capital Federal, around 700 of them were reported as being closed in July. When it comes to putting heads in those c 900 hotels’ beds at least in 2019, I would assume that Argentina, other core MercoSur countries and Chile filled up more of those CF beds than people from the Northern Hemisphere. I guess that too means no Argentina-subsidized long-haul flight for me for the tail end of ski season; nor for the Argentine spring.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GUWonder

The free regional air travel thing seems to be at least a bit of a misuse of resources, but Argentina wouldn’t be Argentina without continuing to add to the history of that.
Indeed.....if I had my way I'd be giving forcing most of the politicians here to take a free one way ticket out of the country!!
Old Sep 7, 2021, 6:56 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed.....if I had my way I'd be giving forcing most of the politicians here to take a free one way ticket out of the country!!
Amen !!!!
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.