Search

Aerolineas Argentinas Not Refunding: Help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Aerolineas Argentinas Not Refunding: Help

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone could offer some further advice. I had a trip to Argentina in March cancelled due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, FCO travel ban, and Argentina's ban on tourists.
I booked Economy Full Flex, which meant that I could get a full refund, even without the current situation. I have emailed twice since. I spoke to a man on the telephone over a month ago who just talked me through filling in an online refund form. I got a simple automated email following this, saying my contact had been registered.

Absolutely no sign of the refund. I already had trouble with the airline when they double charged my card, and it took two weeks for a refund to be processed.

I live in the UK. The UK telephone number has closed, and they suggest to contact via whatsapp instead. Whatsapp calling from the UK does not operate.
I sent one whatsapp message and was advised in Spanish a 10 day wait for translation. I waited... you guessed it, nothing. I got a friend to type the same message in Spanish, and again absolutely nothing.

What can I do? I foolishly paid via Debit card rather than credit card, and at that via Revolut because their UK website wasn't working, so had to do it through the European website in Euros...
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA : EXP / AR : ORO
Hi.
I'm based in Argentina, so I can speak as a local who went under the same situation.
A few weeks ago, before the COVID-19, a few days before COVID-19 measures went into place, I requested to cancel a domestic ticket.
After waiting for over an hour on the phone (a long wait is rather usual), I was told to request the refund via their website.
I did so, and 24 hours later I got some very simple email saying "Your request is being processed".
Once again, I called their number and after yet another hour on hold (it was 2.00AM on a sleepless night), I was told that if I received that email, then the refund was underways; that it could take at least 72 hours before it was processed, but when it was I would get a detailed email.
Sure enough, 4 days later I got another email, this time with all the information of my canceled ticket, including the amount and card it was being returned to.
Another couple of days and it did come up to my credit card statement as a credit.
Now, if you got the first email, then it could be probably be a couple of days/week before it gets processed.
Perhaps the fact the transaction was with a debit card outside Argentina may also delay things further.

As for contacting, currently the only way is via text messaging in Whatsapp, and even that works in a very strange way.
No calls will go through. are allowed on that line.
I've been waiting on a response for another canceled flight (EZE/CDG via AF on AR inventory for next week) but haven't received anything.

I'm not sure how long it may have been since you initiated the request.
I would try it again on their website and see if it goes through.
By the way, if you purchased your ticket anywhere other than the official AR website, you will have to request the refund with the company/agency/website you purchased that from.

Bear in mind that mandatory quarantine has been in place since 20/Mar.2020 and is now extended till 10/May.2020.
Other than some excempted activities, everybody is required to stay home and most services are restricted (for your problem, call centers).
Also, all flights, domestic or international, in any airline, are suspended until 01/Sep.2020.

I hope this information is helpfull in some way.
Best of lucks!
Flying Machine likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 7:39 pm

Programs: QF, EK
Thanks pdcarg77, for your post above, your information is very helpful.

I am waiting on a flight refund as well. I received an email from Aerolineas Argentinas on 20 March with the subject line "Important. Your flight has been cancelled or modified" and it listed various contact centres around the world to call for assistance. I am in Australia and phoned the local number. I talked to a very helpful person on 20 March who is based in Sydney, Australia, who directed me to the link on the Aerolineas Argentina website to request my refund. (My flight on 8 April was cancelled.)

I requested the refund from the website on the same day and received an automated email response with subject "Devolución en proceso" and the email said "Su solicitud esta siendo procesada." Google translate says this means "Your request is being processed." in English.

Since 20 March, I have not received any further emails and I have definitely not received a refund.

My original ticket was booked through the Aerolinas Argentina website, on an Australian credit card.

@pdcarg77 you wrote in your post that Argentina is on lockdown until 10 May. Does this mean we should expect no refunds to be processed until then? I was going to give this a few more day then request a chargeback on my credit card. It's been 6 weeks since my request was being processed by the airline.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old May 3, 2020, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by M.Wilson

@pdcarg77 you wrote in your post that Argentina is on lockdown until 10 May. Does this mean we should expect no refunds to be processed until then? I was going to give this a few more day then request a chargeback on my credit card. It's been 6 weeks since my request was being processed by the airline.

Argentina has now shut its skies until 1 September.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Argentina has now shut its skies until 1 September.
Does that mean no office employees for airlines are at work? The travel agency I had been dealing with for other tours, were working from home.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Does that mean no office employees for airlines are at work? The travel agency I had been dealing with for other tours, were working from home.
No, it means that Argentina has shut its skies until 1 September.
Old May 4, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks pdcarg77, for your post above, your information is very helpful.

I am waiting on a flight refund as well. I received an email from Aerolineas Argentinas on 20 March with the subject line "Important. Your flight has been cancelled or modified" and it listed various contact centres around the world to call for assistance. I am in Australia and phoned the local number. I talked to a very helpful person on 20 March who is based in Sydney, Australia, who directed me to the link on the Aerolineas Argentina website to request my refund. (My flight on 8 April was cancelled.)

I requested the refund from the website on the same day and received an automated email response with subject "Devolución en proceso" and the email said "Su solicitud esta siendo procesada." Google translate says this means "Your request is being processed." in English.

Since 20 March, I have not received any further emails and I have definitely not received a refund.

My original ticket was booked through the Aerolinas Argentina website, on an Australian credit card.

I would just go back to your credit card company and ask for a chargeback, you have give Aerolineas Argentinas ample time to refund you (6 weeks if I understood correctly).
Old May 4, 2020, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Keep this simple. You have a refundable ticket. Covid-19 and the status of airspace is irrelevant You have made a request for a refund and it has not been acted on. Time for a chargeback.
Old May 4, 2020, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL
OP said it was purchased on a debit card. Not sure its possible to file a chargeback with a debit card.
Old May 16, 2020, 7:39 am

Update: No refund yet. I phoned AMEX Australia earlier this week to request chargeback. They said airline tickets always take a minimum of 6-8 weeks for a credit to post on the account. They advised I need to hold off on a chargeback until 8 weeks have passed. Not the advice I wanted to hear, but not much else I can do at the moment. I imagine they can see how slow airlines are (purposely) being to hang onto their cash as long as possible. Not ideal for the consumer!
Old Feb 19, 2021, 7:53 pm

Programs: United
Anyone had any luck getting in contact with them (ideally in English)? I have a cancelled flight from Nov 2020 and want to rebook for Nov 2021 but can't do it via the WhatsApp bot and can't get anyone on the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.