British tourist murdered by gang which may have been tipped

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
British tourist murdered by gang which may have been tipped

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...-to-criminals/

Fernández admitted that crime levels have skyrocketed and blamed the country’s poor economic situation for the increasing organisation and sophistication of violent street robbers.

So sophisticated, in fact, that travel safety expert, Lloyd Figgins told Sky News that insiders working for airlines had been selling information about wealthy passengers to criminal gangs so that they can target victims as soon as they arrive in Argentina.

“We’re starting to see they are having insiders working for airlines, where they are actually getting the manifest of a particular flight in order they can see who the business class travellers are, where they might be staying, and then targeting their vehicle from the moment they leave the airport, and knowing exactly which hotel they are going to,” Figgins told the broadcaster.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A tragic incident but reading the quote from the 'safety expert' you'd think arriving passengers at Ezeiza were being robbed every other day.....sensational nonsense.
NickB likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
A disincentive to travel in premium cabins to EZE on any airline.

Two days ago the Buenos Aires police mentioned only that the gangs look for disembarking pax with expensive watches.

I guess further information has emerged.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What further information?

Yeah they don't have to look for Rolexes. These days, people are likely to have expensive phones, cameras, iPads. And people going to Argentina may be carrying a fair amount of USD to exchange on the black market for better than the official FX rate.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by wco81
What further information?

Yeah they don't have to look for Rolexes. These days, people are likely to have expensive phones, cameras, iPads. And people going to Argentina may be carrying a fair amount of USD to exchange on the black market for better than the official FX rate.
The circular weekly email from FT today said that the passenger manifest had been given to the thieves, presumably by airline staff.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by QF ExLurker
The circular weekly email from FT today said that the passenger manifest had been given to the thieves, presumably by airline staff.
Apart from confirming a certain individual was going to be arriving on the flight I can't see what good a passenger manifest would be to a criminal.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Apart from confirming a certain individual was going to be arriving on the flight I can't see what good a passenger manifest would be to a criminal.
Really? Doesn't a manifest show the names of the pax in the premium cabins separately? A UK well known multi-millionaire business man flying BA (the airline BA not the city BA) was selected and followed from the airport by a gang who had the manifest. A Google search of all the names maybe?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:17 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
The Gang behind this (and various other)muggings was shut down by Police a couple of days after this tragic incident. A total of 9 have been arrested, 3 of them while trying to escape the country by land. 7 Venezuelan and 2 Argentines. I hope the foreigners serve their time and then get deported - although I wouldnt mind (actually prefer) them getting deported right away.... in any case, they all deserve to rot in Hell.

Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:23 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Just to add... I dont know who this Figgins bozo that is quoted above is... or what he does, but the local investigation yielded that this Gang had members walk around EZE arrivals and looked for tourists with expensive watches and fancy baggage (ie. LV suitcases)... they then followed them out to spot the Vehicles they boarded. This information was fed in real time to other Gang members who then followed the vehicles and selected the best spot to hit them to execute the robbery. None of this manifest BS was mentioned.... the PSA (Argentine Aeronautical Police) - which has jurisdiction at EZE has all of this on tape (security cameras)..... so the entire story of Manifests and insiders at the airlines would appear to be bogus.....

Unless I can find a serious source like The Guardian or the BBC (or another organization/publication of similar caliber) publishing something remotely similar (ie. related to information from the manifest, etc.), I would have to conclude that its all made up....

So then... who decided that this bloke Figgins is a Travel Safety Expert...???!!!!
HIDDY, malagajohn and cad-spe like this.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 3:10 am

This gangs will kill someone for a dollar. They don't care about human life. Most of the time is not about the money they just want to kill. Avoid empty streets and stay safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.