Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Passport validy for Argentina tourist visa

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

US Passport validy for Argentina tourist visa

I have a question about the validity of a US Passport to get an Argentina tourist visa. I've read two things. 1. Passport must be valid for 6 months beyond the end of the visit. 2. Passport must be valid at time of entry and departure, which I assume means to the expiration date of the passport. Can someone clarify this?

Thanks
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
The minimum validity rule in Argentina is that your passport should not expire while you are in the country -- e.g.: if you plan to stay for 30 days, your passport must expire on day 31.

If your passport has more than 3 months left before expiration date, you will most likely be given a 90-day stay permit.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bakoboy
I have a question about the validity of a US Passport to get an Argentina tourist visa. I've read two things. 1. Passport must be valid for 6 months beyond the end of the visit. 2. Passport must be valid at time of entry and departure, which I assume means to the expiration date of the passport. Can someone clarify this?

Thanks
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC

UA has a TIMATIC link. Make sure you're not transiting through a country that might require 6 months (in a situation where you'd need to enter that country).
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Marambio
The minimum validity rule in Argentina is that your passport should not expire while you are in the country -- e.g.: if you plan to stay for 30 days, your passport must expire on day 31.

If your passport has more than 3 months left before expiration date, you will most likely be given a 90-day stay permit.
I've been given a 90 day tourist visa even when my passport would expire during that period (I had a return flight 3 weeks after entry though).
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've been to Argentina a dozen times, but can't recall if this has been checked - does Argentina require evidence of a return or onward travel ticket when boarding in the US? Presumably there are pretty simple ways to travel out of Argentina (i.e., Buquebus to Uruguay for the day) that don't require a plane ticket. So far have a one-way ticket to Buenos Aires and wasn't sure if it'll be an issue that I won't have a return/onward ticket at the time I board.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I've been to Argentina a dozen times, but can't recall if this has been checked - does Argentina require evidence of a return or onward travel ticket when boarding in the US? Presumably there are pretty simple ways to travel out of Argentina (i.e., Buquebus to Uruguay for the day) that don't require a plane ticket. So far have a one-way ticket to Buenos Aires and wasn't sure if it'll be an issue that I won't have a return/onward ticket at the time I board.
I have an Argentine and a EU passport, the latter I use when travelling to the US and Europe.

When checking-in in Europe/USA on flights to EZE I have been many times asked to produce my Argentine passport, presumably because I didn’t have a flight out of Argentina on the same booking.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Marambio

I have an Argentine and a EU passport, the latter I use when travelling to the US and Europe.

When checking-in in Europe/USA on flights to EZE I have been many times asked to produce my Argentine passport, presumably because I didn’t have a flight out of Argentina on the same booking.
Interesting - I know that I've booked my USA-Argentina-USA trips on separate tickets in the past, just don't recall being asked. However, I think I might need to book some form of refundable travel departing Argentina to be on the safe side, otherwise I might have problems at the airport.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Interesting - I know that I've booked my USA-Argentina-USA trips on separate tickets in the past, just don't recall being asked. However, I think I might need to book some form of refundable travel departing Argentina to be on the safe side, otherwise I might have problems at the airport.
The only problems I've ever heard about at Argentine immigration are people who have overstayed multiple times on previous trips.

Otherwise all the issues have been passengers being asked to prove onward travel from Argentine when they check in in the US or Europe on one way flights (without having a Argentine passport in the reservation).
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
The only problems I've ever heard about at Argentine immigration are people who have overstayed multiple times on previous trips.

Otherwise all the issues have been passengers being asked to prove onward travel from Argentine when they check in in the US or Europe on one way flights (without having a Argentine passport in the reservation).
You mean you've never heard of a passenger being asked to prove onward travel from Argentina when waiting at the gate in Chile on an itinerary ending in Argentina (without having an Argentine passport in the reservation)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.