Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ArgEnology Wine Merchants

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

ArgEnology Wine Merchants

I just wanted to post a big thank you (and a small review) to Alex (Gaucho100K) for making time for me last minute to do a wine tasting and purchase on my recent trip to Buenos Aires. I was having trouble figuring out what I wanted to bring back with me and his wealth of wine knowledge made it much easier to decide. I didn't want to fill my suitcase up with mass market wine that may be easily available in the US so he helped guide me to some small production wines and vineyards.

I didn't realize it was by appointment only but he made time for me the same day I contacted him (and even offered to call me at my hotel to save me the cost of the call). We had a chat about what types of wines I liked (and didn't like) and he selected a bottle to open for tasting to establish a baseline. From there we talked about what types of wine I wanted to bring back and my budget and he made some suggestions. Unlike some wine tasting I've done in California, I never felt an air of pretension or snobbery.

He also had the wine delivered to my hotel the next day and followed up to let me know it was delivered and to make sure my order was correct. I packed it up in my DIY wine suitcase but it seems he has plenty of experience with getting wine to the US so I believe he also deals with properly packing wine to be checked in as luggage or to be shipped.

I was very pleased with the high level of service provided, I just wish I had a bigger wine budget and more space in my luggage. He even helped me try to track down another local item I was looking to purchase that had nothing to do with wine, which I thought was really above and beyond.

Their website is www.argenology.com/en for those who might be heading to BsAs.
flatdawgs and FlyingCow like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by nxlinc
I just wanted to post a big thank you (and a small review) to Alex (Gaucho100K) for making time for me last minute to do a wine tasting and purchase on my recent trip to Buenos Aires. I was having trouble figuring out what I wanted to bring back with me and his wealth of wine knowledge made it much easier to decide. I didn't want to fill my suitcase up with mass market wine that may be easily available in the US so he helped guide me to some small production wines and vineyards.

I didn't realize it was by appointment only but he made time for me the same day I contacted him (and even offered to call me at my hotel to save me the cost of the call). We had a chat about what types of wines I liked (and didn't like) and he selected a bottle to open for tasting to establish a baseline. From there we talked about what types of wine I wanted to bring back and my budget and he made some suggestions. Unlike some wine tasting I've done in California, I never felt an air of pretension or snobbery.

He also had the wine delivered to my hotel the next day and followed up to let me know it was delivered and to make sure my order was correct. I packed it up in my DIY wine suitcase but it seems he has plenty of experience with getting wine to the US so I believe he also deals with properly packing wine to be checked in as luggage or to be shipped.

I was very pleased with the high level of service provided, I just wish I had a bigger wine budget and more space in my luggage. He even helped me try to track down another local item I was looking to purchase that had nothing to do with wine, which I thought was really above and beyond.

Would you like to share the names of the Wines you purchased and the prices you paid? Did you only taste the one wine used for a benchmark? Hope you enjoy! Let us know..
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:27 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Nxlinc-- thank you for posting your experience, greatly appreciated.

I sometimes like to do a palate calibration exercise when I have no previous tasting experience with a person that will be purchasing wines with us for the first time. In this instance, the benchmark (or Guide Wine as I like to call it) was a Malbec based blend from Mendoza. Wine opened for this exercise is complimentary, and we open a new bottle for each calibration session - I do not believe in tasting from pre-opened bottles..... the only exception to this would be a Coravin pour scenario.

Originally Posted by nxlinc

HIDDY, FlyingCow and flatdawgs like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
I have to chime in to also recommend ArgEnology. Alex has been my preferred wine merchant in Buenos Aires for the last six or seven years. At this point he already knows what I like, my quirks, and sometimes even remembers certain bottles in my cellar better than myself - well, now I have a cellar tracker app!

nxlinc, if you have the chance, let Alex do the ‘packing’ for you next time. I started just like you, ‘smuggling’ a few bottles in my baggage, until I realised it was better, and I could transport more (!) if packed properly. He has specialty styrofoam boxes that can even withstand the TSA - a weird mileage run had me once connecting via the US and the boys in blue took an interest in the contents of the box, repacking it afterwards with TSA tape - and I have re-used them when moving as well.

Alex has organised tastings for myself and my family sometimes with almost no notice and always delivering top notch quality. Being from Argentina myself I’m always on the lookout for boutique and ‘cult’ wines, which I favour, since it’s really easy these days to find any of the big players abroad.

So again, if you happen to be in EZE and want wines from the ‘right’ side of the Andes, check Alex at Argenology
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:39 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thank you Florencia. We value your Patronage of all these years and look forward to continue serving you in the Future. Lots of new things to taste since your last visit, we have a lot of ground to cover during you upcoming visit. See you shortly !!!

Cheers,
Alex

Originally Posted by FlyingCow
I have to chime in to also recommend ArgEnology. Alex has been my preferred wine merchant in Buenos Aires for the last six or seven years. At this point he already knows what I like, my quirks, and sometimes even remembers certain bottles in my cellar better than myself - well, now I have a cellar tracker app!

nxlinc, if you have the chance, let Alex do the ‘packing’ for you next time. I started just like you, ‘smuggling’ a few bottles in my baggage, until I realised it was better, and I could transport more (!) if packed properly. He has specialty styrofoam boxes that can even withstand the TSA - a weird mileage run had me once connecting via the US and the boys in blue took an interest in the contents of the box, repacking it afterwards with TSA tape - and I have re-used them when moving as well.

Alex has organised tastings for myself and my family sometimes with almost no notice and always delivering top notch quality. Being from Argentina myself I’m always on the lookout for boutique and ‘cult’ wines, which I favour, since it’s really easy these days to find any of the big players abroad.

So again, if you happen to be in EZE and want wines from the ‘right’ side of the Andes, check Alex at Argenology
FlyingCow likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA, WN, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I've dealt with Alex at ArgEnology for several years, most recently this past February, when he curated a selection of high end bottles (all reds, Malbecs primarily). At this point he knows my tastes pretty well and I've never been disappointed or thought I was paying too much (confirmed when I have done a price comparison). I enjoy the annual Cow Do and tastings offered, even on occasions I don't buy any of the bottles sampled, since these expand my baseline knowledge. ArgEnology is highly recommended.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Simply the Best Wine Merchant in BA

I've been dealing with Alex at ArgEnology for many years going back to my first trip to BA 15 years ago. That first experience opened my eyes to the amazing range of producers and styles, almost impossible to navigate as an outsider (read tourist). Alex made it work period. I make it a point of purchasing at least a case of outstanding grape juice from the right side of the Andes every year. There are so many places to purchase good wine in BA and certainly this is part of the fun with visiting this amazing city. However, working with Alex to construct the perfect case or two of small production, serious good tasting value wine or collectable labels is always a top priority for me and highly recommended for those who cherish great vino. My personal routine is working up an order with Alex in advance of my trip and then supplementing with the odd find in the city during my visit. This has proven to be a winning formula for the last 15 years. I recommend you take the time to open a dialog with Alex and explore what possibilities exist based on your budget and tastes.

http://argenology.com/en/

Cheers,

-Cyborg
HIDDY likes this.

Last edited by cyborg; Aug 21, 2019 at 4:01 pm
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:54 pm

More Than Malbec

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Still to meet this Alex bloke.....my brother in law is coming over late November with my niece, both are partial to a drop of the red stuff. I may just point them in the direction of ArgEnology if they wish to purchase some Malbec. ^
Hiddy,

The other grapes should not be overlooked! Alex has introduced me to some wonderful Pinot Noir, Cabernet and blends from a number of regions in Argentina that have earned a prominent place in my cellar :-)
http://argenology.com/en/
Cheers,

-Cyborg
HIDDY and Gaucho100K like this.

Last edited by cyborg; Aug 21, 2019 at 4:00 pm
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cyborg
Hiddy,

The other grapes should not be overlooked! Alex has introduced me to some wonderful Pinot Noir, Cabernet and blends from a number of regions in Argentina that have earned a prominent place in my cellar :-)

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Indeed Cyborg I've tried quite a few other grape varieties and not had a bad experience yet. No expert but I especially like the wines produced in the San Juan area. However as the wife keeps me in check I have to limit my intake....the wine might be smooth but the Argentine women are much tougher to handle.
I'm on a bit of a beer quest at the moment as the micro brewery scene expands....some decent beer to be had here as well.
cyborg, malagajohn and Gaucho100K like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
I always have pleasure doing business with Gaucho 100K. Top notch selection of the best Mendoza has to offer. The best service, dedication to details on my palate. I believe I purchased more than five cases over the years. Seriously, ArgEnology Wines and Alex ( www.argenology.com) knows his wines well. Gaucho is one of a kind- Things that would rarely come up my radar here, good storage history, releases with tight allocations, tastings with excellent cuts of meats in places that you'd never get into solo... he's your man!
Gaucho100K likes this.

Last edited by DLroads; Aug 21, 2019 at 11:25 am
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:23 pm

I also want to emphasize the high quality shipping boxes thatArgEnology http://argenology.com/en/ provides that support seamless transportation when checking in at EZE. I have used their services many times over the last 15 years and found the bottles in perfect shape on arrival to the USA. Also want to mention that once there was some condensation on a couple of labels when I arrived and they immediately offered a credit for my next purchase since they knew I was returning the next year even though this was beyond their control. Fantastic wine seller! :-)

Cheers,

-Steve
FlyingCow and Gaucho100K like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.