End of the Dollar Clamp - Tourist Experience discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:33 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Nice. I can finally use my card in Argentina
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
As far as soybeans or other crops, that is an entirely different calculation. Most simply described, the old government had very high export tariffs in place and the farmers were just hoarding their crops.
That's what I mean. If I'm a soybean farmer I'm growin' in ARS and sellin' in USD. Sweet! (Course I gotta calculate the diesel and the old John Deere costs in USD ...)

BTW, today's rate is over 16, with this headline in La Nación "Suben las tasas y sacrifican más reservas para frenar el dólar, que superó los $ 16" History shows that trying to defend an indefensible currency against the market does not end well. Just ask John Major.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

In my experience prices of everything went up even more than usual after the election...probably through fear of the unknown than anything else.
Not enough time has passed to know if they've stabilised yet. As for restaurant prices I don't know. We've given up eating out as the quality doesn't match the prices they charge.

The soya crop is still in the ground however we sold some cattle last week and got the same price per kilo as we got last year.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:22 pm

As the last few posts have focused a little more on inflation, I'll point out that I recently received my first electric bill under new tariffs.

The base rate is literally 4x what it was prior, and the existing subsidy in peso terms is either the same or less. So I think it's not out of line to suppose that a 400% increase in final electric cost is going to have some ripples beyond just the household electric bill.

Any business that relies heavily on electricity (stores with lots of refrigeration/freezing, shopping places that are expected to keep aire blasting all the time...) seems like it's going to have another inflationary impact distinct from just the cost of goods sold. Unless I'm overlooking something...
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Schultzois

Any business that relies heavily on electricity (stores with lots of refrigeration/freezing, shopping places that are expected to keep aire blasting all the time...) seems like it's going to have another inflationary impact distinct from just the cost of goods sold. Unless I'm overlooking something...
Yes and the retail trade here don't need much of an excuse to pass on any extra costs incurred by them to the customer.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Leaving for visit #3 to BA in a couple weeks. Prior visits under former regime, relied on blue dollar exchange after arrival. Just read the last couple pages of this thread. Considering new official rate better reflects fmv, any reason not to do the exchange before I leave USA? Thx....and OT for local food wonks: any new and wonderful restaurants open in the last 18 mos or so? PM me, please.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:56 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Post use an ATM on arrival

There is no reason for you to do the exchange in the US, unless you want to get a horrible exchange rate almost as bad as the official vs. the Blue rate when that was still around.

If you need some quick Pesos upon arrival, just use your ATM Card. Even if you get hit with fees, the exchange rate will be better than what you get in the States. Have you checked with your Bank to get the details of what sort of rate they will give you...? In my experience, the foreign currency delivery services that most banks offer in the US are no bargain, you usually get taken to the cleaners with the conversion rate and some banks add a service fee to cover the delivery costs, etc.

Originally Posted by mczlaw
Leaving for visit #3 to BA in a couple weeks. Prior visits under former regime, relied on blue dollar exchange after arrival. Just read the last couple pages of this thread. Considering new official rate better reflects fmv, any reason not to do the exchange before I leave USA? Thx....and OT for local food wonks: any new and wonderful restaurants open in the last 18 mos or so? PM me, please.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: UA, WN, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Earlier this month I converted, at the official rate at EZE, enough US$ to get into the city. That afternoon I stopped by my favorite exchange spot and got a better rate. Although certainly not the spread that previously existed, I considered the difference worth the extra effort.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
There is no reason for you to do the exchange in the US, unless you want to get a horrible exchange rate almost as bad as the official vs. the Blue rate when that was still around.

If you need some quick Pesos upon arrival, just use your ATM Card. Even if you get hit with fees, the exchange rate will be better than what you get in the States. Have you checked with your Bank to get the details of what sort of rate they will give you...? In my experience, the foreign currency delivery services that most banks offer in the US are no bargain, you usually get taken to the cleaners with the conversion rate and some banks add a service fee to cover the delivery costs, etc.
The HSBC at the exit near the Pharmacy and Tele center, tends to have some issues sometimes.. (at least from my experience).. Normally out of cash, or limits your withdrawal.. Even after the parity.. The Banco Nacion, to the right once you enter the arrivals hall (live tellers with a pending line up may serve you in a pinch..)
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
if you use the Banco Nacion at the airport , they normally ask you for a boarding card if you want tochange dollars or euros.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by malagajohn
if you use the Banco Nacion at the airport , they normally ask you for a boarding card if you want tochange dollars or euros.
Passport too
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:25 am

Programs: BA silver
Also please make sure it is actually a boarding CARD as they won't accept a mobile one for some reason known only to them.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:19 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by fiona
Also please make sure it is actually a boarding CARD as they won't accept a mobile one for some reason known only to them.
Good tip !!!! ^
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by fiona
Before the cepo when I used to exchange pesos for USD upon exiting Argentina, BN would make a photocopy of my boarding pass and passport.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum, Amex Platinum
I'm down in BA for the first time in a couple years. Still brought US$ cash with me out of reflex, but it's so nice to be able to use my credit cards again! As mentioned earlier, inflation has hit hard. Over the last 12 years of coming here, food prices and hard goods seem more expensive in dollar terms than I've ever seen them before.

And... Uber is here! time rolls on..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.