Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of the Dollar Clamp - Tourist Experience discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
Historically I've never had a problem with my Schwab card in Capital Federal - expect when the ATM was out of cash or there was a network problem. I've used my card frequently at Banco Frances, Galicia, and Banco Patagonia.
I've found ATMs to be increasingly hit-or-miss in Argentina during the latter years of kirchnerismo - but who knows why. I usually got the same error message regardless of what the problem was. Maybe it's just that the state banks tend to get priority for delivery of banknotes to stock their ATMs?

At any rate, I have a feeling that things will normalize rather quickly now that there's a new government with a clue. Hopefully they'll launch new banknotes that are actually worth more than $8 soon, so ATMs can stock real money and not run out so much.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I've found ATMs to be increasingly hit-or-miss in Argentina during the latter years of kirchnerismo - but who knows why. I usually got the same error message regardless of what the problem was. Maybe it's just that the state banks tend to get priority for delivery of banknotes to stock their ATMs?

At any rate, I have a feeling that things will normalize rather quickly now that there's a new government with a clue. Hopefully they'll launch new banknotes that are actually worth more than $8 soon, so ATMs can stock real money and not run out so much.
As soon as the neighbo(u)r country's printing presses get up to speed, the higher valuation notes should be "hot off the press."
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Does anyone know if it is already possible to buy foreign currency at EZE?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:58 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
An obscure hotel in USH offered 14.0 whereas XE quoted 13.8. But, there was a steady trail of people trading. But it was the weekend and the ATMs could have been dry?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, US Air, UR, Hilton, PC
Originally Posted by og
An obscure hotel in USH offered 14.0 whereas XE quoted 13.8. But, there was a steady trail of people trading. But it was the weekend and the ATMs could have been dry?
There still is and always will be a blue market for those who do not wish to go through official channels.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by mccomb
There still is and always will be a blue market for those who do not wish to go through official channels.
The Cuerva that I normally go to in Palermo Viejo seems safer than most of the ATM's I encounter.. and yourcurrently obtain a better rate for USD over Plastic.. In November, there was even a Policeman standing right outside chatting with a citizen.. It has its use, and for exchanging a few hundred USD for pocket money, it will continue to work for me..
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I was so pleased to use plastic with Tienda Leon I neglected to pickup pesos at the airport. This resulted in a walk with bags to the Sheraton and their HSBC ATM. 82.6 peso flat fee for withdrawls. 👎

Is this the common ATM fee or was this the price of convenience?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:15 am

Programs: AA, Delta, US Air, UR, Hilton, PC
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I was so pleased to use plastic with Tienda Leon I neglected to pickup pesos at the airport. This resulted in a walk with bags to the Sheraton and their HSBC ATM. 82.6 peso flat fee for withdrawls. 👎

Is this the common ATM fee or was this the price of convenience?
That's the normal fee - about $6 USD.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
FYI, the Central Bank has announced that by mid-2016 we will have two new notes - 200 and 500 pesos. And by 2017 we shall also have a new 1,000 peso note.

Apparently over the course of the next years they will withdraw all the current notes and replace them with new ones with animals instead of people (and the 2, 5 and 10 peso notes will be replaced by coins).

The 200 peso note will carry a whale, the 500 one will have a yaguareté and the 1,000 peso note gets the hornero, Argentina's national bird.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Marambio
FYI, the Central Bank has announced that by mid-2016 we will have two new notes - 200 and 500 pesos. And by 2017 we shall also have a new 1,000 peso note.

Apparently over the course of the next years they will withdraw all the current notes and replace them with new ones with animals instead of people (and the 2, 5 and 10 peso notes will be replaced by coins).

The 200 peso note will carry a whale, the 500 one will have a yaguareté and the 1,000 peso note gets the hornero, Argentina's national bird.
http://www.ambito.com/noticia.asp?id=823829
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Great news.....^^
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:18 am
Suspended

Why not drop a zero when you're at it.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Hornero, Yaguareté, Ballena, Taruca, Cóndor, Guanaco.
Seems like the basis for a great tasting menu
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA GLD for life, HH Gold, SPG gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, TSA pfd
My experience in Cordoba is it's good to find an ATM in order, even if in order it may not have cash which it will never admit. It may say over your daily limit or keep asking you to reduce your amount. At about $83 peso fee, getting less than $2,000 pesos, the apparent maximum as the machine may not be able to dispense more than 20 bills, isn't worth lowing your take. Move on. There are a bunch of banks on Buenos Aires calle next to plaza san martin. Don't go to Carlos Paz without cash as most machines are without bills again due to the lack of larger denominations. Also credit card acceptance is spotty in CP.

Prices in pesos in restaurants don't seem to have increased much since dollar blue. A good steak is about AR$200 and a good wine about the same. Good luck finding that in any other destination around the world. A full lunch or dinner with a moderate wine, starter, desert is AR$1,000 for 2 pax.

If in Cordoba, the Y111 hotel is at about US$100 for a nice suite. It's brand new, well located and IMO the best downtown. I paid about the same in BA for Urban suites in front of the Recoleta cemetery. Both include breakfast. With the money saved go have tea or dinner at the Hyatt or Faena.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by georgeroads
If in Cordoba, the Y111 hotel is at about US$100 for a nice suite. It's brand new, well located and IMO the best downtown.
Off-topic at its best, but I just want to vouch for Y111. Stayed there last year and I believe it's among the best hotels in Córdoba and price is reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.