Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK or MIA for connecting flight to BA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

JFK or MIA for connecting flight to BA

I'm planning a trip from BOS to EZE this November, and can use some help.

The shortest travel time is ~15 hours on AA, one stop at either JFK or MIA, and about 1.5 to 2.5 hours to make the flight connections. Should I choose JFK or MIA in terms of time and convenience, taking into consideration of going through security, immigration and customs? I do have Global Entry.

I'm a flytalk newbie, please refer me to the correct forum/faq if already answered. TIA.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
What class of service?
The MIA-EZE flights are nine hours, whereas JFK-EZE takes around ten-and -a-half hours.
If in coach, I`d route via MIA to keep the time I`d be confined in the cramped seating shorter. In business or First, I`d fly via JFK to ensure more sleep.

As far as the airport experience goes, connecting in JFK is generally considered nicer than in MIA. However, with GE, it doesn't really matter from a immigration/customs perspective (you don't want to land in MIA at 6am when all the flights from South America arrive without GE!)
A factor favoring MIA is the weather: Chances for weather-related disruptions are much greater in the Northeast at this time of the year than in Florida.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:35 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Welcome to FlyerTalk !!!!! ^

Regardless of the details posted above (which are all very relevant), I personally would take JFK over MIA no matter what. Unless there is a substantial fare difference and/or if you have a good reason to be in Miami, MIA is to be avoided like the Plague.

Its not only MIA and its peculiarities, not limited to but including the security and TSA... but also the loads of MIA-EZE flights. The entire JFK experience will be better and more relaxed.

As noted in the excellent post above, MIA's only advantage over JFK in November would be the potential for weather, although in my assessment this factor is a still a good bet in November... December or January would be another matter.

Is this your first trip to EZE....? Its a pleasure to have you here on these boards, please feel free to start another thread with any more questions you may have.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I agree with Gaucho. I'm an Economy-class flyer and I try to avoid MIA, even if it means more hours cramped at the back of the plane. Not only the airport is awful but the pax on the MIA-EZE route are not the most educated bunch, and they can make the whole experience quite unpleasant. Nothing completely terrible, but usually JFK-EZE pax are more civilised. This applies to Economy, though. I wouldn't know about Business or First.

That said, if MIA is much cheaper than JFK then go for it.

I wouldn't worry about weather delays and cancellations in November.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all the responses.

I'm an economy flyer, and the AA prices via JFK or MIA are about the same. I think I'll choose JFK. BTW, JFK-EZE planes are 777, and MIA-EZE planes are 767.

This will be my first visit to Argentina. I'll start different threads for my many questions :-)
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
JFK anyday. Also, if connections are tight, generally AA will have agents waiting at the plane @ JFK with an Express Connection envelope, giving you expedited lines for your transit.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by getmethere
Thanks to all the responses.

I'm an economy flyer, and the AA prices via JFK or MIA are about the same. I think I'll choose JFK. BTW, JFK-EZE planes are 777, and MIA-EZE planes are 767.

This will be my first visit to Argentina. I'll start different threads for my many questions :-)
Hmm... AA doesn't fly 767 from MIA-EZE. Both MIA-EZE and JFK-EZE fly 777-200. However, in November you'll get different interior of planes. The ones from JFK are the reconfigured 772, while MIA has the older configuration.

Do you have status on Oneworld? The new configuration has Main Cabin Extra, while the older configuration doesn't. However, if you don't get MCE in the new config, then the back part of economy is worse than the old configuration, since AA has gone from 9-across to 10-across seating.

IFE will be much, much better on the reconfigured birds.

Another things to consider for layover convenience, do you have access to AA Admiral's Club (Oneworld Sapphire/AA Platinum or OW Emerald/AA Executive Platinum) or do you have American Express Platinum or Centurion cards?

Both MIA and JFK have Admiral's clubs, however the JFK ones are far superior: more showers, less crowded, etc, and a Flagship Lounge if you're Emerald.

But MIA has the Centurion Lounge for AmEx Platinum/Centurion, while JFK doesn't.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

"2 bedroom cozy San Telmo apartment for much less than a hotel"

I'll start another thread on apartment renting.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

"Hmm... AA doesn't fly 767 from MIA-EZE."

Got that info from an online booking site, perhaps my mistake. Got some AA miles, but not enough to qualify for Admiral's etc.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Marambio
Not only the airport is awful .
LMAO. Funniest thing I've seen all day.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:32 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Patriots
LMAO. Funniest thing I've seen all day.
Lets stay on topic please......
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by getmethere
"Hmm... AA doesn't fly 767 from MIA-EZE."

Got that info from an online booking site, perhaps my mistake. Got some AA miles, but not enough to qualify for Admiral's etc.
If you saw 767, then is an AA codeshare flight, operated by LAN Argentina (4M).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.