Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Group Transfer between AEP and EZE

Old Jun 14, 13, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat

Hi all, I'm usually over in the AAdvantage forum, but I've come here with a question. A group of 8 of us is traveling on AR 1225 (GRU-AEP) and then onto AR 1364 (EZE-LIM) with a 3.5 hour layover in between. What is the easiest way to transfer in between airports. Each of us will have a couple bags and carry-ons and we would prefer not to split the group. I've heard about Manuel Tienda Leon service, but I wasn't sure how to go about getting bus tickets. Should we buy them in advance on the website, or wait until the airport and get them there. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 14, 13, 5:01 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
I know a couple that are Professional Guides and can arrange everything for you, including a nice Van and putting the layover to good use... perhaps city tour and/or nice Dead Cow meal, depending on what you are interested in.

Feel free to PM or email me and I will put you in contact with them.

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
Old Jun 14, 13, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2 MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
... perhaps city tour and/or nice Dead Cow meal, depending on what you are interested in.
I don't think 3.5 hrs is enough time to do anything between two international flights ... also considering the airline ... I would schedule an hour to clear customs and immigration and collect baggage at AEP, an hour to get to EZE, and an hour to check in, pass through security and immigration at EZE. So no time to spare really.

OP: remember since your are entering Argentina, you will have to have prepaid the reciprocity fee (if you have not already done so).

John

Last edited by SoFlyOn; Jun 14, 13 at 5:46 pm
Old Jun 14, 13, 6:30 pm

..not to mention the strange idea of going GRU-LIM via AEP/EZE and involving a longish and costly AEP-EZE transfer.
Old Jun 14, 13, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by red star View Post
..not to mention the strange idea of going GRU-LIM via AEP/EZE and involving a longish and costly AEP-EZE transfer.
... not to mention on AR!
Old Jun 14, 13, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn View Post

OP: remember since your are entering Argentina, you will have to have prepaid the reciprocity fee (if you have not already done so).

John
Do we really need to do this? It was my understanding that if we were connecting through in less than 24 hrs (and show proof of the connection), it was not needed.
Old Jun 14, 13, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by a4silicon View Post
Do we really need to do this? It was my understanding that if we were connecting through in less than 24 hrs (and show proof of the connection), it was not needed.
Where did you get this information may I ask?
I'm not doubting it's authenticity but as far as I know no-one has ever posted evidence from a reliable source that this is the case.

As your two flights are with AR I wouldn't worry about the consequences of missing your connection so that's one worry less.
The Manuel Tienda Leon transfer would be your best bet if timings work or just take taxis.
Old Jun 15, 13, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
Where did you get this information may I ask?
I'm not doubting it's authenticity but as far as I know no-one has ever posted evidence from a reliable source that this is the case.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...-in-argentina/
Old Jun 15, 13, 7:53 am

a4 - I was aware of his blog entry (and actually linked it in a previous thread here). However, this has been the only time I've ever heard of anyone being allowed to do this.

What's different is that Seth was entering/leaving EZE at a time when if he was refused free entry he could have remained airside, or could have paid the reciprocity fee at one of the airport booths. Neither of these possibilities is available to you (there are no payment booths at airports anymore - you must pay via the internet beforehand).

Also, there is no paper form anymore that could be stamped - it's all done electronically including a thumb print and head shot. Seth mentioned that he had done everything in English, but in my extensive experience, the immigration officials on the whole speak very little English.

Paper documents showing onward travel are obviously easy to fake, and immigration has no way to easily verify whether they are valid. AR might actually refuse to board you in GRU until you have proof of payment of the fee. To leave Argentina you also need to have a stamp in your passport showing when you entered the country - if you have overstayed your visa, the airline will not check you in until you have paid the overstay fine at the airport bank and can show them the paperwork.

I don't know what the Argentine law actually is (and I doubt whether you'll be able to easily determine this), so it might depend on what immigration at AEP does ...

If you possibly can, change your flights to a direct GRU-LIM, or via a connection where you can stay airside. The best flight to take would probably be on LAN. Are you staying in Peru or do you have to catch another flight after you land?

John
Old Jun 15, 13, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good advice from SoFlyOn.

When I asked for evidence from a reliable source I was rather thinking along the lines of official advice written down in black and white rather than from someone who may just have got lucky a couple of years ago.
If I were you I'd check out this -24 hour rule more carefully before travelling just in case it either never actually existed or things have changed since then.
Old Jun 15, 13, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn View Post

If you possibly can, change your flights to a direct GRU-LIM, or via a connection where you can stay airside. The best flight to take would probably be on LAN. Are you staying in Peru or do you have to catch another flight after you land?

John
We would prefer to not to have to change airlines, but in the event we have to, would Aerolineas refund us part of the fare? We are staying in Peru for 5 days after we arrive, but we have a conference the next day early in the morning.
Old Jun 15, 13, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
We would prefer to not to have to change airlines, but in the event we have to, would Aerolineas refund us part of the fare?
Unless it was a full fare, I don't see why.

As far as reciprocity fees go, I can tell you from first hand experience that today, no one got on the plane @ SCL that didn't have proof of payment. They checked mine @ check-in, and then called out the names of everyone subject to the fee at the gate. A small group was then sent elsewhere, presumably where they would have computer and printer access, to pay their fees. (This was right at boarding time.) They did not look happy. On the other hand, they weren't getting on the plane otherwise. So, this is all to say, Argentina may or may not have various exception policies, but the wise airline isn't going to risk boarding you (subject to a deportation fine) to find out that you fall into an exception.
Old Jun 16, 13, 9:50 am
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
We would prefer to not to have to change airlines, but in the event we have to, would Aerolineas refund us part of the fare? We are staying in Peru for 5 days after we arrive, but we have a conference the next day early in the morning.
I agree with Eastbay above..... but whatever you do, please do come back and report how things went. I would however suggest that you don't try to arrive at EZE without the fee paid as there is a very high probability you will be deported.
Old Jun 22, 13, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

So we've arrived back in the States now, and I have a reliable internet connection so I'll report what happened. At GRU, AR wouldn't let us check in without paying the reciprocity fee, however, they offered us a partial refund to go check and see if another airline had a direct flight. We checked, and concluded that the reciprocity fee would be cheaper than switching airlines. We payed the reciprocity fee, and boarded the flight. Once we got through immigration at AEP, we had already missed the 16:00 bus, which by the way, took us forever to get tickets for. (We went to one kiosk who gave us boarding pass-like ticket cards, and we were told to go to another kiosk to get the actual ticket.) We finally got on the 17:00 bus, which makes one stop in the city, getting us to EZE at 18:15. After checking in at the seriously understaffed checkin counters at EZE, we proceeded to go through security and immigration, to finally board our flight at 19:05. The agents at the gate were not too happy about us delaying the departure of the flight by a couple minutes.

All in all, it was a hectic experience. We had to pay the reciprocity fee at GRU, miss the bus, and almost miss our connecting flight to get to our destination. Fortunately, our bags showed up on the carousel at LIM, and we made it safely there. Lesson learned, fly TAM/LAN next time directly to LIM.
Old Jun 22, 13, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the update.

Why didn't you choose to fly direct in the first place?

I've been doing a bit of digging about and it seems the only people who come under the transit rule are those who need visas....and it's under 12 hours not 24. Never saw any similar rule for those who pay the reciprocity fee.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: