Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: danola
USA, Canada AND AUSTRALIAN PASSPORT HOLDERS NO LONGER NEED TO PAY

News for Canadians travellers!

https://paxnews.com/news/other/argen...fee/newsletter

Early this morning, the Argentine government officially suspended the reciprocity fee for Canadians, effective Jan. 1, 2018.
Argentina ends reciprocity fee for Americans, Australians and Canadians
Argentina has announced (25 Aug 2016) full and permanent $160 reciprocity fee waiver for U. S. passport holders effective 25 Sep 2016.

NOTE: Some report in this interim period between ninety days of waiver and permanent waiver they are not being charged $160 on arrival at EZE already - but your airline might still request evidence you have met the expiring requirements listed below if you are a U.S. passport holder.

Refer them to IATA TIMATIC, in accord with:

Originally Posted by David Beach
Just announced:

RECIPROCITY FEE SUSPENSION for us passport holders REMAINS IN FORCE
indefinitely UNTIL DEROGATION DECREE IS ISSUED

"The Migrations National Agency confirmed today that the suspension of the collection of reciprocity fees from US citizens, established by Disposition DNM No. 589/2016 as of March 24 2016 for a period of 90 days or until a Presidential Decree promoted by the said Agency is issued for its derogation, will remain in force.

The reciprocity fee still applies to Australian and Canadian passport holders.
June 22, 2016”
http://www.embassyofargentina.us/en/...-citizens.html
Argentine passport holders will at some future time be allowed to apply for U. S. Global Entry.

Visitors carrying other nations' passports (passport holders from the United Kingdom and Canada must still pay their reciprocity fee) still have to meet the conditions established by Argentina.

To determine what you need to enter Argentina, please use IATA TIMATIC - the tool used by the airlines to determine if you will board - here. (C/o United Airlines.)

Argentine Reciprocity Fee for passport holders of certain nationalities

If you hold a passport of one of the following nations and intend using it for entry to Argentina:

- USA
- Canada
- [strike]Australia [strike]

You must pay for the Reciprocity Fee before you enter Argentina. This fee is valid for 10 Years from the date of payment (the amount of time may vary for Canada and Australia). Please note that failure to have this fee [hl]prepaid[/] and if your airline allows you to board (they are unlikely to because they can be fined and required to transport you out of Argentina on their next departing fee at their cost) you will be deported forthwith.

N.B. If your current Reciprocity Fee stamp is in an expired passport because you have had a new passport issued, you may present your expired passport as proof of payment if you do not have a fee receipt to tender.

Reciprocity Fee

If you are a US, Australian or Canadian citizen, you will need to pay a reciprocity fee before you enter Argentina. This fee may vary depending on your nationality.
Reciprocity Fee (payment and receipt)

The Argentine National Immigration Directorate(DNM) has launched a new online method of payment to enable payment of the reciprocity fee via credit card. Travellers can now pay this fee through the Provincia Pagos payment system.
US, Australian and Canadian citizens can pay the reciprocity fee before entering Argentina by accessing the following websites: www.provinciapagos.com.ar and www.migraciones.gov.ar.

How can I pay the Reciprocity Fee Online?

1.Register at www.provinciapagos.com.ar and obtain an entry code.
2.Complete the form including personal and credit card details . This information and the entry code will be sent electronically to the DNM.
3.After payment is processed, print the receipt.
4.Upon arrival in Argentina, go to the DNM Office and present the printed receipt.
5.The receipt will be scanned by DNM staff and the data will be validated to enable entry to Argentina.

https://reciprocidad.provincianet.co...oFunciona.aspx
Reciprocity fee for US citizens

U.S. citizens who visit the Argentine Republic as tourists or on business must pay a reciprocity fee of U$S160. This reciprocity fee does not represent a charge for a visa since Argentina does not require US citizens to have visas when traveling as tourists or on business. The Argentine Government sets this fee in reciprocity to what Argentines pay for a visa application to enter the United States of America.

Argentine nationals traveling with a US, Canadian or Australian passport are EXEMPT from paying the reciprocity fee. Please travel with additional proof of Argentine nationality (DNI, old passport, birth certificate, etc.)

Method of Payment

Payment must be made before entering the Argentine Republic, online at: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar and go to: Pay your reciprocity fee

Payment can be made with the following credit cards only: Visa, American Express, Mastercard.

The voucher received must be printed and submitted to the immigration authorities. The period of validity of such proof will begin from the date on which the payment was made.

As of January 7, 2013, the reciprocity fee has been extended to all border crossings of Argentina: maritime, fluvial (riverine), terrestrial and aerial.
Until June 30, 2013, passengers on cruises entering the country are exempt from paying the reciprocity fee.(sic)

U.S. citizens who previously paid the fee and its validity period has not expired, they do not need to pay it again and need to show the stamp on the passport. If you have a new passport, you will need to bring the previous passport with the stamp that proves the fee payment. For further information or questions, please contact our office at 404-880-0805 x 101, Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

http://catla.cancilleria.gov.ar/cont...e-reciprocidad
For more information, please see the following links:

http://embassyofargentina.us/embassy...ction/news.htm

http://argentina.travisa.com/

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesi...r_novedad=1632

Transit passengers: If you are arriving at EZE or international aerial port of entry internationally and departing on another international flight within less than 12 hours, you are eligible to remain airside and connect without paying a reciprocity fee; read the wiki in: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...-intl-eze.html

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Updated 27 Aug 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

VERY IMPORTANT - Reciprocity Fee to enter Argentina

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
My guess is that you should be OK to use your HK.passport upon EZE arrival.

Do you hold a.SAR travel document or is it one of those cuasi UK passports....?
My American friend who just traveled to Argentina from U.S. told me that
the airline checks if passengers have the payment receipt before
boarding the plane from the U.S. So it is not an option to show the
second passport at EZE. I wonder if showing the second passport
that is not registered with the itineraries is an option; will the
airplane employee takes it?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tktravel
It is an option as Argentine immigration aren't concerned which passport you choose to enter with as long as it's valid and affords you the right to enter without a visa or having to pay the fee.
US airline staff on the other hand can get a bit confused when it comes to dealing with people travelling on non US passports.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMPORTANT, just saw this on ta: NEW webpage for reciprocity fee:

"The link has changed a few days ago. Go to: https://virtual.provincianet.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/

Too bad the Argentine Consulate is not aware of this change.

https://virtual.provincianet.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/ "
I can't open either link, although they both look the same to me.

BTW, have there been any reports recently of people not having trouble with a reciprocity fee sticker in the passport from the "plain white" period? I guess this time my argument should be to show them my Argentina entry and exit stamps from last year to point out that it worked then.

Are airline staff generally aware that someone with the passport sticker won't have a printed receipt for the fee?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:12 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
It is an option as Argentine immigration aren't concerned which passport you choose to enter with as long as it's valid and affords you the right to enter without a visa or having to pay the fee.
US airline staff on the other hand can get a bit confused when it comes to dealing with people travelling on non US passports.
Amen !!!!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:07 am

Recent reports from friends and family members that this new link has been working smoothly. https://virtual.provincianet.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/

As to the old stickys in the passports, I do not know what is happening if you lose them. All I know is that they are looking for paper proof that you have paid the fee and that it is current.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
This would get confusing. My US passport (and my tickets) are under my married name. My EU passport is under my maiden name, since Spain gave me a hard time about changing my name when I married. I can't even begin to imagine trying to explain all of this to US airline staff.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ysolde
This would get confusing. My US passport (and my tickets) are under my married name. My EU passport is under my maiden name, since Spain gave me a hard time about changing my name when I married. I can't even begin to imagine trying to explain all of this to US airline staff.
To me this sounds perfectly normal for international travelers. If it confuses airline staff, perhaps they should seek a job that will not seem so challenging to them.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tktravel
It is an option, but the airline employees can be inconsistent, confused and even confusing. For example, my reciprocity payment sticker is in one of my expired ordinary US passports and is still valid for use to re-enter Argentina in conjunction with a current ordinary US passport; and yet sometimes the airline reps slow me down or even make a fuss but other times it's smooth sailing.

If you get a confused or confusing airline rep or airline apologist, here's something straight from the bureaucratic horse's mouth:

U.S. citizens who previously paid the fee and its validity period has not expired, they do not need to pay it again and need to show the stamp on the passport. If you have a new passport, you will need to bring the previous passport with the stamp that proves the fee payment. For further information or questions, please contact our office at 404-880-0805 x 101, Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
That should set them straight, as it comes from the Argentine government, per this link:

http://catla.cancilleria.gov.ar/cont...e-reciprocidad

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 21, 2014 at 3:04 pm
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, have there been any reports recently of people not having trouble with a reciprocity fee sticker in the passport from the "plain white" period? I guess this time my argument should be to show them my Argentina entry and exit stamps from last year to point out that it worked then.

Are airline staff generally aware that someone with the passport sticker won't have a printed receipt for the fee?
We just flew DFW -> EZE yesterday, arrived today. Our passports have the sticker from our fee payment in August 2010. AA staff at ticket counter and the gate seemed very familiar with the sticker, no need to show any receipt and no problems boarding.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:16 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ziobacio
We just flew DFW -> EZE yesterday, arrived today. Our passports have the sticker from our fee payment in August 2010. AA staff at ticket counter and the gate seemed very familiar with the sticker, no need to show any receipt and no problems boarding.
Great updated data point.... thanks for posting this !!! ^
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:35 am
Suspended

My "plain white sticker" in an expired passport continues to be accepted too, as it should be. I'll use it again in a few weeks in conjunction with a current passport.

Now here is an interesting situation indicated on the Argentine consulate website above: Argentina-US dual-citizen flying to Argentina on a US passport with an Argentine birth certificate need not pay the reciprocity fee to travel to Argentina; and they get processed as an Argentine on arrival.

What happens on arrival at EZE if the US citizen who flies to Argentina on a US passport with an Argentine birth certificate is not a dual-citizen? [Say the person happened to be born in Argentina to a couple of diplomats assigned to Argentina at the time of birth of this US citizen.]
Old Aug 23, 2014, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

What happens on arrival at EZE if the US citizen who flies to Argentina on a US passport with an Argentine birth certificate is not a dual-citizen? [Say the person happened to be born in Argentina to a couple of diplomats assigned to Argentina at the time of birth of this US citizen.]
I suspect they won't have a DNI number which means they'll have to pay.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:07 am
Suspended

I suspect they won't have a DNI number which means they'll have to pay.
Are there still facilities on arrival at EZE to pay this reciprocity fee? I thought keeping that around would make no sense after the transition was made to make the payment prior to travel/arrival a condition for admission into Argentina. Perhaps I need to pay closer attention in the future.

Aren't there still some living Argentine citizens who don't have DNIs? [I suspect that there are still some people who may be or were Argentine citizens by birth but do not have a DNI.] And just because someone has been issued a DNI previously does not mean that the person is necessarily still a citizen of Argentina.

I am very curious what would happen on arrival at EZE if such a non-citizen of Argentina would arrive in Argentina with just a US passport and Argentine birth certificate but has no DNI (to their knowledge) and no reciprocity fee prepayment proof. Perhaps the time to try this is with a ticket internationally transiting Argentina at EZE with a 12+ hour connection in Argentina to a neighboring country; and then merely attempt to enter the country to see what they do.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:28 pm

Well, it is unlikely they would board the plane, as airline check-in clerks are required to check. Could slip by on occasion, I suppose.

Check this recent page of the Argentine embassy in the US for some interesting FAQ's on the working of the reciprocity fee:

http://embassyofargentina.us/embassy...rsection/trami

Many of the questions raised on the last few pages of this thread are answered there.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 7:54 am
Suspended

Well, it is unlikely they would board the plane, as airline check-in clerks are required to check. Could slip by on occasion, I suppose.

Check this recent page of the Argentine embassy in the US for some interesting FAQ's on the working of the reciprocity fee:

http://embassyofargentina.us/embassy...rsection/trami
Slip by?

Originally Posted by Embassy of Argentina in Washington DC
If you were born in Argentina, your American passport mentions Argentina as your place of birth in the data page. Therefore, you do not need to pay the fee.
That sentence is from the Argentine embassy website you linked above.

It seems interesting if Argentina is claiming that a US citizen without dual nationality can enter Argentina at EZE without paying the reciprocity fee if the US passport lists Argentina as the place of birth. Keep in mind Argentina is internationally contracted to not recognize as Argentine citizens (at/by birth) those Argentina-born children of foreign diplomats assigned to Argentina at the time of birth.

And IATA's TIMATIC -- which is what airlines commonly use to figure out travel doc requirements -- says US passport holders born in Argentina are exempt from this reciprocity payment/printed proof of payment.

So it seems like the airline should let such Argentina-born persons who are only citizens of the US to board flights for trips to Argentina even if there is no reciprocity fee payment (nor proof of such).

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 24, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.