Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

US Citizens visiting Argentina must pay Entry Fee prior to arrival (eff. 28 Dec 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Citizens visiting Argentina must pay Entry Fee prior to arrival (eff. 28 Dec 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:07 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by FoothillFlyer
I have managed to avoid the reciprocity fees for several years with alternate ports of entry as a non-rev, but I will just pay the price now because even the high cost of entry for a family of six cannot deter me from visiting this wonderful country.
Thats the spirit !!!!! ^
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FoothillFlyer
I have managed to avoid the reciprocity fees for several years with alternate ports of entry as a non-rev, but I will just pay the price now because even the high cost of entry for a family of six cannot deter me from visiting this wonderful country.
Good thinking.
IMO it's a great nation with a terrible government.
I wonder about land crossings though?
(Even the US doesn't require ESTA for land entries, and before 911 I was able to sneak in using a BNO as they thought I was British)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by *A Flyer
Thank goodness I have a UK passport. That said, reciprocity fees are the dumbest fees ever invented. Either your country has a legitimate interest in restricting the entry of people from certain countries on security or economic grounds or it doesn't. If the former applies, then charge a visa fee and assess the immigration risk of the passenger (and no it can't be done by the airlines as suggested by an earlier poster). If it doesn't, then allow visa-free travel with no ridiculous "reciprocity fees" when the situations are substantially different.

The fact is that, rightly or wrongly, there is a far greater risk of illegal work by a person coming from a poorer country to a richer country than vice versa.
But the glory of your nationhood is threatened by the unilateral actions of the wealthier nation. You don't think the Falklands dispute is actually about these inconsequential rocks, do you?

Reciprocity fees are very common in the world these days. People aren't always so rational. And I guess the idea is to get the message across to the USA that you don't like the way they're treating your citizens. Of course, I see no indication that the US State Dep't cares whatsoever what its own citizens have to pay to travel abroad.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
But the glory of your nationhood is threatened by the unilateral actions of the wealthier nation. You don't think the Falklands dispute is actually about these inconsequential rocks, do you?

Reciprocity fees are very common in the world these days. People aren't always so rational. And I guess the idea is to get the message across to the USA that you don't like the way they're treating your citizens. Of course, I see no indication that the US State Dep't cares whatsoever what its own citizens have to pay to travel abroad.
Well, that's the same for my foreign passport considering at any moment the PRC could take away the ability to dual citizenship and/or replace HK passports with PRC ones.
(I know that violates Basic Law but so does the organization in my signature)
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Good thinking.
IMO it's a great nation with a terrible government.
I wonder about land crossings though?
(Even the US doesn't require ESTA for land entries, and before 911 I was able to sneak in using a BNO as they thought I was British)
Ah yes the US border crossing.

Most awful experience the last time I did it.

Plus it cost me money.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY

Plus it cost me money.
+1 as I have had the terrible experience before on a YYZ HKG flight entering the US while only carrying my HK passport.
(I had used the opportunity to get reimbursed for YYZ YVR while getting vacation time in HK)
(The agent wasn't aware of the visa exception on that flight, and I had to take fingerprints and be asked questions despite importing nothing to the US and leaving in a few hours)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I wonder about land crossings though?...
Yes, it's being enforced at land borders (at least Chile/Argentina).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:40 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
You don't think the Falklands dispute is actually about these inconsequential rocks, do you?
Be very careful with assuming things if you have not read up on the facts and the history of the South Atlantic. Calling the Malvinas and its surrounding areas " inconsequential " is, at least, naive. Depending on who you speak to, some will argue that calling them inconsequential is borderline foolish. Im doing my best to be as diplomatic as possible with my choice of words.

Back on topic, the UK is not caught under the umbrella of this fee because Her Majesty's Government allows Visa fee travel to Argentine Passport Holders. As stated many times before, all Schengen Treaty Nations also enjoy similar treatment as they also grant Argentines Visa free travel benefits.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Be very careful with assuming things if you have not read up on the facts and the history of the South Atlantic. Calling the Malvinas and its surrounding areas " inconsequential " is, at least, naive. Depending on who you speak to, some will argue that calling them inconsequential is borderline foolish. Im doing my best to be as diplomatic as possible with my choice of words..
I suspect I might know about as much about Falklands history as you do, but probably draw a different conclusion as to the plausibility of Argentina's sovereignty claim. Of course, for me as an American, without a dog in that fight, this isn't a matter of great concern or emotional commitment to me.

Regardless, I agree that it is rather peculiar that it's easier and cheaper for British citizens to visit Argentina -- and vice versa -- than it is for Norte Americanos to visit Argentina, and vice versa. I personally don't think the restrictions reflect well on either the USA or Argentina, but I know there is about zero chance that the USA will move to make this travel easier.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect I might know about as much about Falklands history as you do, but probably draw a different conclusion as to the plausibility of Argentina's sovereignty claim. Of course, for me as an American, without a dog in that fight, this isn't a matter of great concern or emotional commitment to me.

Regardless, I agree that it is rather peculiar that it's easier and cheaper for British citizens to visit Argentina -- and vice versa -- than it is for Norte Americanos to visit Argentina, and vice versa. I personally don't think the restrictions reflect well on either the USA or Argentina, but I know there is about zero chance that the USA will move to make this travel easier.
That's because UK is in the EU which could make things much more difficult for Argentines visiting almost all of continental Europe, not just the UK.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Plus it cost me money.
Peanut butter and maple syrup have their price!
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Peanut butter and maple syrup have their price!

Over 1 hour hanging about while they processed half a bus load of passengers most of whom were natives was very poor for this day and age. The officer who processed us was a bad tempered sour faced so and so.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Over 1 hour hanging about while they processed half a bus load of passengers most of whom were natives was very poor for this day and age. The officer who processed us was a bad tempered sour faced so and so.
MOST border crossings are terrible, for reasons that are very hard to explain. Like between Argentina and Chile, especially if you have a car.

I do agree that the USA/Canada border situation is beyond ridiculous, given the level of "threat" that each side poses to the other. It is almost unimaginable why this can't be improved, or at least brought back to the pre 9/11 days. But there seems to be little constituency for it.

I give little credit to the gov'ts of European countries to manage their affairs efficiently and effectively, but I do appreciate EU border crossings -- when I even notice them.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:09 am

It is almost unimaginable why this can't be improved, or at least brought back to the pre 9/11 days. But there seems to be little constituency for it.

Well it wasn't that great over 25 years ago either.

Once on a bicycle tour I got stuck in no mans land after trying to leave the US to get back into Canada. The US guards refused to allow me to leave because they said I shouldn't have been in the US in the first place.......the guy who had let me in a couple of days previously hadn't stamped my passport. His mistake led to me being questioned in depth as to how I had managed to cross the border.
After much discussion I was finally allowed to continue my journey.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MOST border crossings are terrible, for reasons that are very hard to explain. Like between Argentina and Chile, especially if you have a car.

I do agree that the USA/Canada border situation is beyond ridiculous, given the level of "threat" that each side poses to the other. It is almost unimaginable why this can't be improved, or at least brought back to the pre 9/11 days. But there seems to be little constituency for it.

I give little credit to the gov'ts of European countries to manage their affairs efficiently and effectively, but I do appreciate EU border crossings -- when I even notice them.
Is it much better at the US-Mexico border?
I always cross there at off peak times as I have seen the backup for more than a mile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.