Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

What was going on at EZE on Google Maps' image?!?

Old Apr 25, 10, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million

Ok, I wasting time this evening looking at the Google Maps satellite image of EZE (Buenos Aires' airport), an upcoming, first-time destination for me.
On one end of one of the runways there were several large airliners in no apparent strategic arrangement.
Any idea what was going on?????
Old Apr 25, 10, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
There are two things possibly going on (didn't look at the pic). Several US carriers have planes spend the day there, and then further down, there's a cemetery of old Aerolineas planes that don't really work well (if at all). You see them to the right as you leave the airport.
Old Apr 25, 10, 9:48 pm

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Just got back from EZE and I know what you're talking about. There are a ton of Aerolineas jets just crammed into sections, all in Random orientations. Made me wonder how the heck they even got them in there.

I chalked it up to "creative" parking
Old Apr 26, 10, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Yes there is a bit of a AR graveyard in the trees beside the road and usually a couple of AA planes parked up during the day before being towed back for their evening departures.
The Google image of Buenos Aires was taken around 2008 to early 2009 as the stadium of the football club Independiente is demolished in the map and it opened up again last October after being modernised.
Old Apr 26, 10, 2:56 pm
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
The AR graveyard is just another proof of how mismanaged the company is..... whats the point of having those planes sitting around there.... at least they should have sold them by the pound to recicle some of the metals.... I assume they have already been properly cannibalized for working parts..???

Old Apr 28, 10, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There is actually a lack of parking at EZE. They use one of the inactive runways to park aircraft during the turn around. Those are usually foreign aircraft parked there.

The Aerolineas stuff is the stuff you see on the road out of the airport towards BA.

Last i heard they were doing renovations to the aprons to open that runway again.

I am in the aviation maintenance business and got a tour of the Aerolineas hangars a few months back. It was interesting.

Search this Thread