Wiki Posts
Search

Driver's Permit to Drive in BA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2010, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Driver's Permit to Drive in BA

Do I need any kind of locally issued permit to drive in Buenos Aires or will my US license be acceptable.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your license is sufficient enough.......being able to drive at 120km an hour two inches behind the car in front whilst lane hopping without using indicators also helps when you're on the autopista. ^
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:03 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by danola
Do I need any kind of locally issued permit to drive in Buenos Aires or will my US license be acceptable.
As long as you are in the country as a tourist, then you will not need to have a domestically issued driving permit. If you want to have something other than your US license, then you could get an International Drivers License... but this is optional.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:05 am

You know what my first reaction was?! This guy is BRAVE
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by moeve
You know what my first reaction was?! This guy is BRAVE
Actually, no bravery is required. Those that are truly proficient behind the wheel of an automobile are able to drive around EZE without any issues. However, soccer-mom level of driving skills will simply not suffice.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
However, soccer-mom level of driving skills will simply not suffice.
But if you are a "futbol-mom" you will be fine

Personally, I think you should get a permit from a psychiatrist first.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Personally, I think you should get a permit from a psychiatrist first.
Does this make all of us that drive in this city crazy...????
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
(1) I am reminded of my recent ride to EZE where the taxi wasn't ever fully in one lane for the entire autopista ride, and
(2) No - it means that anyone not familiar with driving in your fair hamlet should consult with a psychiatrist first to make sure that (s)he has the mental disposition to drive under "normal driving conditions in the Capital."
Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:56 pm

My wife refuses to drive in Buenos Aires.....the actual standard of driving in the centre is okay due to the amount of traffic. You can't go anywhere fast. Go out on to the autopista and it's all hell let loose.
In all my travels round the world Argentina comes pretty close to having the worst driving I have ever seen....the casualty figures are a disgrace to be honest. Of course when the police blatantly turn a blind eye to people going through red lights,four on a motorcycle without crash helmets and rusty old bangers held together by glue it's no wonder the roads are dangerous.
What's so sad is that it's usually the innocent who end up dead.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Oh c'mon. I drove the autopista from AEP out your way and found it perfectly fine. Maybe not a good place if you're not a confident and aggressive driver. I see Bs As driving as choreography but maybe that's just me.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:37 pm

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/12.2.024; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG7.1.12344)

Originally Posted by HIDDY
My wife refuses to drive in Buenos Aires.....the actual standard of driving in the centre is okay due to the amount of traffic. You can't go anywhere fast. Go out on to the autopista and it's all hell let loose.
In all my travels round the world Argentina comes pretty close to having the worst driving I have ever seen....the casualty figures are a disgrace to be honest. Of course when the police blatantly turn a blind eye to people going through red lights,four on a motorcycle without crash helmets and rusty old bangers held together by glue it's no wonder the roads are dangerous.
What's so sad is that it's usually the innocent who end up dead.
yes, the accident stats are horrible but as for the worse driving, I think the RSJ is writing..... you havent gotten round' enough...
Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Oh c'mon. I drove the autopista from AEP out your way and found it perfectly fine. Maybe not a good place if you're not a confident and aggressive driver. I see Bs As driving as choreography but maybe that's just me.
The autopistas in and around Buenos Aires are crazy.....once outside the city limits the autopistas are fine.
Trouble happens when it ends and goes on to the two lane road then the fun begins. Slow and oversized lorries running in convoy leading to overtaking manoeuvres Schumacher would be proud of and woe betide you if you get in the way.
Cairo is certainly worse though.

yes, the accident stats are horrible but as for the worse driving, I think the RSJ is writing..... you havent gotten round' enough...
The RSJ?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
I drove to Cordoba from AEP when there was a strike as my plane was boarding.

Make 110% that you have your headlights on at all times. I found out the hard way and i had to bribe (coima) a cop at a safety checkpoint in the middle of the pampas.

Also out in the pampas there are many washouts, or places where it goes from pavement to dirt and back to pavement without any warning.

I dont drive in Argentina unless i have to. Ill hire a car with a driver first.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:27 am

Actually, no bravery is required. Those that are truly proficient behind the wheel of an automobile are able to drive around EZE without any issues. However, soccer-mom level of driving skills will simply not suffice.
Have you ever seen the Italians drive??? They are no better I take it.... oh and I take it that 60.000 Km on German Autobahns is a higher qualification than your average soccer mom. There are some places in the world where having a foreigner drive just isn't a good idea...... one would be Beijing in general, another on the big several lane roundabouts in Paris, Palermo during rush hour just to name a few and I bet there are a lot of other places to add to that list.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:23 pm

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/12.2.024; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG7.1.12344)

Sorry but no.... even 300,000 kms. on German Autobahns do not prepare you for EZE traffic. Show me a DTM license and then yes... I will see you as prepared...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.