Search

Q. 'How do you lose Tourists?' A. 'Charge them $US135 to enter.'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Heldur -- welcome to FT.

Depends on the wind direction, phases of the moon and tide times and mood of each agent.

I had an annoying deal earlier this week EXACTLY like you ask about.

Like you we were flying TACA (a UA partner, and I earned UA miles on the fights) from Quito-Lima-Buenos Aires.

From there we flew same day on UA - Buenos Aires, Washington, Denver, Calgary, SFO, SYD.

A massive 'day' of 50 hours in the air.

Anyway as you know the [removed offensive characterization] Argentineans have recently sprung this nasty new entry tax on ozzies, Americans and Canadians .. $US100 per entry for ozzies PER 'entry'. $US131 for Americans.

I now refuse to 'enter' Argentina due to this entry tax. Ten visits there in 10 years and this one has lost me for good.

Asked TACA staff in Quito to check bags to Washington .. our first point of USA entry, and then would have tagged then with UA thru to SYD. And thus not need to leave transit in EZE.

TACA in Quito (where you fly from) refused. Had all 3 staffers engaged on this inc Supervisor.

Told them if they did not agree it could cost us $US200 to exit customs, claim bags, check in with UA and re-enter via customs/immigration.

They did not care, and would NOT check bags past EZE.

They said if they were damaged/lost it would be my issue. I said that was fine with me, and I'd sign a waiver, but they backed off and still refused to check to USA.

So in EZE went to United Red Carpet club - in the transit area.

They tell me there have been riots with Americans over this exact issue for 3 months.

The [removed offensive characterization] Argentineans change the rule from one day to the next. MOST times they insist they pay the $US131 a person.

So I checked at RCC and as we are both 1Ks, a UA staffer kindly went thru the "border" with my TACA bag tags, found the bags, and checked them thru to SYD.

Wheher your carrier will be so helpful I am not sure. Pack an extra $US200 just to be safe, and spread the word about this idiotic tax.

=============

Skip the [removed offensive characterization] Argentineans, and stay longer in Quito!

Check out this Radisson .. $US120 for a Suite -- best hotel I've even stayed in across Latin America - my review here

http://click.e.tripadvisor.com/?qs=9...5daaa735e51642

Glen

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 29, 2010 at 1:54 pm Reason: Removed offensive characterizations per TOS
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:34 am

Thanks for the reply ozstamps.

Well owning a business here in Quito I am unfortunately very familiar with Latin American bureaucracy.

But perhaps I can just send my wife to collect our bags and hang back myself in Transit? I could check-in on line but the bag transfer could just be done by her seeing she is Ecuadorian. She isnt gonna like it though as it will be a new experience (first time flying) for her.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
The point is to check in 2 persons they are NOT going to do it unless both persons are standing there in front of them with passports. (In fairness no other airline on earth would do that either these days long haul!)

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 29, 2010 at 1:54 pm Reason: Removed offensive characterization
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:59 am

Damn, well if I have to pay it I will do so, but seems unfair for those who are really in transit.

When we return from Oz to BA we arrive at 15.20 with Aerolineas and our TACA flight to Lima - Quito leaves at 18.05. Do you think I have left it to late for the transfer? I have just checked flight stats for this AR flight and it is mostly delayed although recently not too bad.

I might just end up changing my TACA flight staying a couple of nights in BA seeing I will probably have to pay the tax anyway.

[response to now-deleted material deleted]

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 29, 2010 at 1:55 pm
Old Apr 29, 2010, 12:17 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
As suggested upstream, thoughtful, civil, and cordial conversation can be had on this topic at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/argen...20-2009-a.html and it seems best to keep the discussion there.

I have cleaned up this thread and removed personal attacks, off-topic posts, and offensive TOS-violating remarks.

I trust that the conversation can continue on the above-referenced thread.

cblaisd
Senior Moderator
after consultation with Senior Moderators gleff, Canarsie, and SanDiego1K

Last edited by cblaisd; Apr 29, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.